• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Heroin withdrawal is "just like having the flu"...right?

Iboga is truly intriguing indeed. It seems that it combines multiple mechanisms in a single molecule, they separated the anti-addictive mechanism somewhat from it's psychedelic / dissociative shamanic properties but the dissociation itself contributes a good part pharmacologically and overall the trip seems to be very therapeutic.

Yeah, I'm really thinking about doing an Iboga session some day too ... the therapeutic aspects are promising of course, but I'm just very curious about the substance and it's spiritual properties.
if ibogaine is as effective as some claim, if it truly dials back tolerance, then it seems like the heroin addicts 'get out of jail free' card..you could theoretically use heroin for months, then use ibogaine to kick and reverse toleerance then just go right back to using heroin..i dunno about anyone else but this sounds way too good to be true..

I did ibogaine almost 6 years ago to get off of 10 years of opiate addiction. It worked like a miracle, it was an incredibly intense, overwhelming experience but I came out of it feeling ready to take on the world (after a really up and down week, and a smaller redose on day 6). Even though some faint restlessness/lingering withdrawal came back, I didn't care about it. I started working out, and literally didn't want opiates for a long time. Just recently I had a bit of a relapse which I'm coming off of now but it was nowhere near where I was before.

There are many withdrawal symptoms that are similar to a dose of flu. There are also many more that are exponentially worse.

This seems to be a myth perpetuated by those who have never experienced it and as a result see junkies as pussies who can't put up with a few aches and pains for a few days. Believe it at your peril..!

I fell for it, thinking "I've had flu before, I can handle it" - how wrong I was.

My first rattle off a relatively small habit lasted 10 days before I started to feel anything like 'normal'. This was 10 days where every minute felt like an hour, extreme fatigue yet unable to sleep, bones itching on the inside and shaking like they were trying to jump out of my skin, crushing depression, anxiety that felt like someone was squeezing the breath out of my lungs so I couldn't breath, agitation that had me wanting to climb the walls, as well as the flu like symptoms such as banging head, aching muscles, streaming eyes, nose and mouth and intense sweating.

So to answer the OP's question - No...

(And every subsequent withdrawal gets even worse)

Last edited:
Unpopular opinion, but the best time to withdraw is when you already have the real flu.

I remember one time I was bed-ridden unable to alleviate myself from opiate withdrawal and I didn't feel any of it because I was already feeling so horrible from the actual flu (lol). I stayed in bed for 3-5 days, which I would have done anyway even without the opiate withdrawal so might as well kill two birds in one stone. Of course you'll want to die during that time period.

For me the depression aspect isn't too bad actually.. it's the anxiety. You're just sitting in a chair thinking about all the good things in your life and it feels like tomorrow the world will end and take them away from you. Stimulants helped me during that time period, but I must say the weight loss was rapid and my friend was concerned for me because I couldn't eat whatsoever.

Playing music, listening to music, working out, etc. All those things help recover your brains endorphins faster. If you're just lying in bed contemplating why you are still breathing air the mental component of it goes onnnn and on. Sometimes in the past when withdrawing in the middle of a million things to do I actually wondered if I was feeling it at all. Also the withdrawal hits in waves. Sometimes you're drop dead baseline and then an hour later it comes to claim your soul. If I don't eat while in withdrawal--believe me I start to feel it ALOT.

Heroin withdrawal is horrible but doesn’t last too long. Methadone wds will break u though lol

Heroin withdrawal is horrible but doesn’t last too long. Methadone wds will break u though lol

Can't you go on suboxone for this? Not that suboxone is a solution for everyone, but if possible to go on sub treatment I don't really know why a lot of people avoid it when insurance usually covers it. It's far more comfortable to taper down off subs than go through things cold turkey isn't it?

Hey I'm full of cold so mild flu and twelve hour into morphine withdrawal chemist opens in a hour tho been up since four am needed four hundred mg ibuprofen and twenty mg CBD and ginseng my body craving pregabalin and diazepam I'm so scared of the day I get kidnapped or sent to hospital

i have watched movies and read a few books written by addicts and i agree, some of them exaggerrate heroin withdrawal a little bit..yet then you have doctor, addiction experts as you say that basically say going through heroin withdrawal is like having the flu, that the person will be fine, no biggie..

hmm, i have went through heroin withdrawals and had the flu and lemme tell you, having the flu is a walk in the park compared to kicking heroin..i mean, maybe its the only ailment or condition these drug experts cn compare heroin withdrawl to but its an absurd one imo..i remember kicking heroin to be a nightmarish experience..5-6 solid days of sweating, leg kicking, no sleep, extreme anxiety, cannot get comfortable, extreme exhaustion, crippling depression, stomach pain etc etc...then after the physical withdrawals are over, u still tend to suffer from lingering depression and anhedonia, weakness in body that can last for months..

so what do people that have kicked heroin think of this comparison as im sure u have heaard it before :)

This is a comparison made by those who have never experienced opiate withdrawals,so the only thing they can compare it to is the flu. For a start there isn't a psychological aspect to the flu. When you have the flu you know there isn't anything that can stop it,you just have to ride it out and when it's over you return to "normal." There's no such luck with opiate withdrawals,there are intense cravings and if you make it through the physical part then you have to contend with the PAWS,which depression plays a massive part. Then you have to reintegrate into a "normal" life again which is huge.

I don't think the term of addiction being a disease is right...Cancer is a disease whereas addiction is of ones own doing,that's not to say an addictive personality is not,that's a mental disorder,but we all have free will and choice.

Opiate withdrawals are much worse than the Flu,any Dr or professional who tells you otherwise haven't a clue.

It's funny how I suddenly feel better knowing the chemist is open soon unless the CBD oil has kicked in

Suboxone has at least as long s withdrawal as methadone. If the goal is getting off of opiates completely, suboxone is not really a better option than methadone IMO, except that suboxone is energizing and motivating rather than sedating. For maintenance to get off heroin or something, though, I think it's a better choice for some people than methadone.

I used heroin three days in row, got mild dope sickness for two days after.

Really did feel like having the flu. Wasn't pleasant but I was scared I would be dope sick with cold sweats for longer.

Lucky I didn't use again on the fourth or fifth day.

But yeah I know using three days in a row is nothing.

Still I honestly went through withdrawals.