• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Dose Reduction

dusk84

Greenlighter
Hi guys, I'm a greenlighter but have been on this site forever, I just don't post much. I'm here with a tip (that some people may have already given) to help those trying to taper down their heroin habit to make quitting easier. This is for extremely heavy users where suboxone is inneffective even at its maximum dose at 4 8mg strips a day and where waiting until being able to take them is even too painful. my dude's habit a couple months ago was 10 caps (bags everywhere else it seems, I live in Dayton, OH) AT A TIME, three times a day, that's 30 a day. where i live, this is still only 120 dollars a day, but extremely too high to quit cold turkey. let me tell you how my dude got down to 5 caps a day, total. find your local pill guy, get some benzos, any will do, and take a SMALL amount (1mg ativan = .5mg (peach) xanax = .5mg (yellow) kpin). take ONE. this should instantly make you have to do half or two thirds your "regular" shot to feel the same effect. you might notice even nodding your body is tricking itself cause you still feel some minor cramps, (and DONT do this and do your regular dose, this is for dose REDUCTION, if you've never done a benzo and do your regular shot, you have a real good chance of pushing it too far). if in the minor chance you have a tolerance to benzos as well, take a benzo and a 350mg soma (those can be a little more difficult to find, as not as popular as benzos). long story short, the combination will have the amount you have to do to get "high" down fairly quick, then your body becomes used to less opiate, though you're still in the heaven you so much enjoy. within 2 months, my dude was down to 5 caps a day, 1/6th of what he was doing 60 days prior to that. my tip though is, the most important part, DON'T do this alone. I'm not a doctor and most heroin od's you hear about are people combining them with benzos. if you use it correctly though, the way i described, it can be a useful tool in dose, and therefore harm reduction. just thought i'd share some knowledge

Last edited:
Just to be clear, there is no reason you can't switch from a dose of heroin like that, onto something like methadone (almost immediately) - or suboxone, after waiting a safe period. Seriously, no reason - aside from feeling lousy for a bit while transitioning. I'm not saying it didn't work for OP (tapering off heroin) - but it's extremely difficult to do and that is why people switch to the long acting opiates - they're a lot easier to stabilise on and reduce from. Very very few people successfully go from large doses of heroin to tapering down to a significantly reduced dose.

Also, the advise given is extremely dangerous, combing even small amounts of strong benzos (like xanax) with heroin can very easily cause OD, even if you're opiate tolerant, if you're not benzo tolerant, it can be lights out. I've OD'd off relatively small doses of xanax, a couple times, despite having a strong tolerance to heroin at the time. It really doesn't take much. And whilst having someone with you may well save your life, another far less talked about aspect of OD'n is the permanent brain damage many people suffer from the oxygen loss.

Hi guys, okay so this is my first post on the forum, however I've been using the site for years for information and the like... I'm kind of sad to see something like this given as advice. BOTH times I have kicked the bucket for a few (as I like to call the two times I overdosed on heroin to make light of a very non-humorous situation) was due to my alprazolam (Xanax) intake. I have been taking Xanax since I was about 13 or so (both on my own and from doctors, since doctors do not like to give these types of meds to younger patients and I am now even only 22) I do not abuse Xanax, I don't get high from them they only level me out and clam my nerves and make me able to function properly, like not be in fear of going out shopping or having to have human face to face interactions (yes it's that bad I need anti-anxiety meds obviously.) I'm sure I could get high off them if I wanted to but it would probably take a few bars. Anyway, I've been abusing opiates for about three years or so, and switched from snorting or smoking oxycodone 30's to IVing diladid 8's, to for the past 6 or 7 months IVing heroin. Like I said the two times I ODd on heroin I can only see being due to the larger amount of xanax I had already taken that day. I mean the real deal, waking up totally clueless no idea what happened or where I am, in my husbands arms as he is hysterically crying saying he has been giving me CPR for the last 10 minutes. This is very very dangerous and can't be taken lightly. I know you added the warning at the end of the post, which is great. But I just had to get that out there as soon as I read it.
All that being said (I know this may be about to sound very hypocritical) I see your point and how this could actually work. Absolutely the benzos would have you feeling a much more intense high from much less of your usual doe of opiates, and yes this would, if kept up, in turn lower your tolerance to the opiate. It's actually not a bad idea FOR SOMEONE WITH A LOT OF EXPERIENCE WITH BOTH THE H AND THE BENZOS that is! For instance this would probably be a good idea for me, if I was interested in 'wasting' my much needed xanax... however I am a big supporter of the week long subutex/suboxone taper myself and that is what I am almost at the end of now, hence why I decided to go ahead and join the site now I figured it could help me somehow with the psychological and social aspects of quitting the H.
Also like the above post stated, there is never a reason anyone could not go from H to something like subs, or especially methadone (my husband did the methadone clinic treatment for a few months and I DON'T suggest that stuff in any instance but I wont get started on a soapbox of why I despise methadone and their clinics) since it is the most potent and long lasting detox treatment option. Just because their H habit was high or whatever the case, not all detox treatment options require the 24 hour, or until you are in WD's, waiting period. I know I'm not the only one on here that can say from experience it is very possible to do subs/methadone in the same day as your opiate of choice and be just fine, maybe not as high as usual, but not sick either. Also in reference to the above post I know the last time I ODd I had to suffer some problems because I was physically incapable of staying awake the rest of the day, blew out an eardrum, and just something was not right for a few days as I was very sick (different from detoxing sick) and very weak. Don't seem to have any permanent brain damage but I can imagine I got pretty close to that point.
So anyone looking to taper down this way with the benzos, be very VERY careful and if benzos aren't something you already have plenty of experience with I wouldn't even consider it!! I just told my dude the other day, and he loved the quote, 'if your gonna do hard core drugs, at least be careful and mindful of your body.' Thanks everyone, hopefully I didn't offend anyone. :)

lol, this is NOT the best way to kick dope.

and tell your boy he is lucky to get 3 grams (30 bags) for $120 because in Boston you'd be paying $200 IF YOURE LUCKY! but yes, I also shot 2G's a day type habit and easily made the transition to bupe/sub or methadone; so do not believe that if you are shooting a gram+ a day that bupe/sub or methadone will not work for you because it surly will.

also, as already mentioned, mixing benzo w/ opiate is not for beginners and if its something you've never done, this is NOT the time to start. many OD"s come from this combination, so giving it a test run just to try and lower your opiate intake is not the time to TRY something like this. you could easily just lower your daily intake rather than combine it w/ a benzo to get he same effect but lower dosage (the effect is NOT THE SAME when a benzo is involved).

not to be rude, but this is truly TERRIBLE ADVICE for those trying to kick a serious dope habit. I'd assume that most of us who have serious habits already know this would NOT be the way and have been down the recovery road before and know of better ways to kick a serious problem (there is also detox).

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Boston, not to mention you would be running the risk of becoming addicted to the benzos if you don't plan on taking them regularly and properly, or don't taper off those as well. Not many people know how serious and painful of a withdraw benzos can bring you!

went through complete hell, including multiple seizures, when coming off benzos after taking them along w/ dope for so long. yet again, another reason NOT to include benzos when trying to taper your dope usage. crazy to say, or even think, that methadone or suboxone (bupe) would not work for someone shooting as mentioned above. I am scripted 16/MG/day of bupe but could easily get away w/ 8MG and have no problems; this is coming off a 2G/day habit of dope but primarily fent.

I never got to the point of seizures cuz like I said I don't abuse, but I've had to go through the detox when I ran out and wasn't at a doctor at that time... total hell. Almost as bad as opiates if not worse in some instances. Of course the subs/methadone would work, and methadone you don't even have to wait until you are in withdraw... I assume the person above wants to steer clear of clinics/doctors/etc. for their recovery... which is also very hard. Not to mention it's not super difficult to find subs or even methadone on the streets...

well, subs on the street are relatively easy to find in Boston since everyone is using dope and everyone is now scripted subs; methadone not so easy to find because the clinics are all liquid methadone and those who have the dosage to take home typically abuse and you wont see any of that hit the streets.

Same here. The liquid methadone clinics when they do allow take home by that time you can't really afford to miss a dose, so not much seking of that. Subs are easier also because people come to realize that they are being prescribed more than necessary so why not make some extra cash? Which is all fine by me, I swear by the cure to opiate addiction being subs+benzos=success. Can't stand the methadone. Poison bullshit.

methadone truly are liquid handcuffs, as people say. never again will I go on methadone. did it twice and both times I jumped after 6 months; I maxed my dosage at 95MG and from there I'd make a quick drop over a 3 month span and usually jump off around 20MG and go right back to dope. even when on methadone I still used ALMOST daily because it just didnt kill the urge the same way the suboxone does. w/ suboxones I can honestly say the urge is gone and I dont want to use (thats when I take it HOW I should take it) but w/ the done' I'd get my dosage at 8AM and by noon I'd be buying dope.

I like the handcuffs statement too. Really, you used that much on methadone? That's crazy because my husband swears he could never feel H when on the methadone, I think he hit 75mg at his highest. I once took some but only about 10mg if that, and tried a shot and didn't feel a thing, I did feel the next one like an hour later though. He quit cold turkey at about 30mg and it was the most devestating experience I've ever seen. Horrible, how addictive the stuff is and the detox is 10x worse than H. He used some oxy and dilaudid to get through that, but long story short that's how we ended up on heroin, the pain from methadone withdrawal. Crazy he went in for help getting off pain pills and the shit was so awful we wound up heroin addicts. Nice right?

wow, thats terrible, huh!? so why was he on methadone? he never used dope before methadone? or am I just reading this wrong, lol.

I left methadone both times around the 15-20MG range and went right back to dope w/ no intentions on stopping, so it really wasnt that bad for me. I never had any problems leaving methadone because I never left and went back to full withdrawals; I left and stayed on the same path as always, which sucked cuz I was a dope fiend, but never had to worry about the methadone withdrawals, lol

suboxone is so much better in my eyes.

No he mostly went to the clinic because of bad oxycodone and dilaudid addiction. Technically we used heroin for like a week or two for the first time right before he went to the clinic, but that was because we could find no pills. So no he wasn't addicted to H when he went into the clinic.... yet!

Your lucky in the sense that you never dealt with methadone withdraw, I promise you it is the worst withdraw there is.

Yep, suboxone and subutex are livesavers, as long as you don't use them long enough to get addicted to them! Good thing is if you do it right you don't have to.

lol, well, I am fully addicted to subxone, so there are still worries in my future my I am scripted them so I am not too worried.

See when I talk about any type of subs I'm taking finding them on the streets and paying $20 a pop. You can't exactly live like that, we'll you could but I'd rather just stick to my drug than and be high lol. When your scripted or go to a clinic you can taper down when your ready and them subs are still pretty damn easy if they taper you properly. It's not clinics I'm against, I have it out for methadone clinics specifically lol. So how come you've never tried to taper down the subs?

last time I was on subs which was about 2-3 years ago I started on 24MG after an OD and after 9 months I was down to 4MG before fucking up again and going on a insane 2.5yr run, which I just ended not long ago, ha. but the subs helped tremendously over the course of those 9 months; I did not use ONCE over the 9 months. since being on subs again for the past 3 month I've used more times than I could count. I need to get fully clean here or at least fucking TRY! the reason I have no intention of coming down off the subs is that I am not even sober yet, so why rush to get off?! I have a hard to staying sober on 16MG nevermind if I was only taking 4MG. then again, it would probably be the same in the long run but anytime I start fiending for dope I can eat 4-8MG of bupe more and feel much better.