• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Heroin causing excessive respiratory depression and brain damage

burn out

Bluelighter
I cant do heroin anymore, it gives me too much respiratory depression. I don't know why this happens to me now but I just binged on heroin for a week and now I have the same type of hypoxia symptoms like I had after the time I overdosed, only less severe. They will probably resolve after a few weeks I'm hoping, maybe a couple months but it really sucks to be back here in hypoxia land after recovering from that overdose. Thing is, this time happened without any obvious "overdose". I mean, I monitored my breathing and it never felt too hard to breathe, I measured my blood oxygen level with a pulse ox and it never went below 95. But I guess just low oxygen levels for a week did this to me.

How long have you been using heroin (or other opioids)? I also have begun to find that I cannot tolerate heroin like I used to be able to. After I use my skin all over my face will get super dry and peel off like I got a little wind rash or sunburn, and I'm generally not at all myself for three or four days after using even just once.

Crazy how our bodies can change. The issues I mentioned aren't something that come up when using otherwise legal opioid prescription drugs though. Seems like it's something about heroin, or the cut in heroin (though it happens whether it's ECP or tar in my case), that causes a lot of these issues for me.

I was a heroin addict from 2011 to 2014, then I switched to kratom but would only use heroin when I had some severe trauma in my life I wanted to escape from. But yes I think you are right my body has changed and I cannot tolerate it anymore. Even shooting a tiny amount, I instantly feel it hit my brain and it actually seems to dull my mind and damage it. Instead of the wonderful rush I used to feel, now I just feel mentally retarded when I shoot up. ANd then after that, even a small dose, it gets hard to breathe for a couple minutes until my body adjusts to it. But the reason I always end up damaging myself with it is because it builds in my system. After 4 hrs I want to shoot up again, but there is still dope in my system from the last shot even though i dont feel good anymore. So I inevitably end up super high with my breathing really depressed and doing and being high for days on end like that deprives me of oxygen. I never realize how oxygen deprived I am because i feel like im breathing, but I must be breathing really shallow I guess.

Its not as bad as I initially feared, the time I overdosed for real was much worse. I had hallucinations that time, had trouble walking and other serious symptoms. It took me seven months to recover. So I am hoping in 2 weeks to 2 months at most Ill recover from this. I just feel retarded for damaging myself yet again.

My whole life has consisted of me abusing myself.

I stop doing heroin also i was getting the same problem i was having a hard time to breath so i went to the doctor
and i told him what i did if i can't stop this addiction he said i might get brain damage its just hard to stop though

I don't take heroin I take oxy but I also watch my oxygen levels. At rest wide awake after taking 120+ throughout the day my pulse ox ranges from 93 to 97. When I fall asleep it dips down in to the 80's for a bit then comes up. Eventually it will level out half way through the night and be back to the high 90's. I've been doing this for years. As of now I have noticed no brain damage.

Something you may consider. If you are damaging your brain then most likely you are also damaging other organs. A simple blood test could set your mind at ease.

My first thought is that how it is described, it sounds like how I experienced fentanyl and not heroin. Also, stay hydrated. Get high-class dope, test it, why not gang up with someone. Easier to actually getting it done, too. Don't cut corners if you're shooting heavies. I've lost a couple of dear ones exactly like that, old beautiful souls. Take care.

I'm not gonna do it anymore. I cant afford anymore brain damage. Its gonna be weeks before I recover from this at least, probably longer.

Whatever keeps you from using, roll with that. Could be a blessing in disguise (abstinence certainly became a lot easier for me once I began to suffer from more unpleasant side effects of my use).

I'm glad to see posts about stopping heroine use; although I never experienced much respiratory depression (until I overdosed about 2 months ago, will get to that later) or brain damage, it did give me a lot of gastrointestinal issues. Nausea and vomiting on doses as low as 0.5g.

It is a good idea to stop though, regardless of how long you've been using, because the long-term consequences are still there. I was off of heroin for a good year and a half until I was practically pressured into doing it again back in May, although there isn't an excuse if you have the self control. I ended up dropping instantly from a line that was probably a little less than a gram, and within 30 minutes my breathing had stopped, my heart had lowered to 12 BPM (only know this from the EMT telling me) and my face/lips were blue. A family member found me. It isn't a pretty sight.

I think I had fentanyl at that time, but nobody could know for sure. Mainly because I started off with half gram doses and used for 7 straight months before my break. These days heroin is being cut with some extreme additives... the road to recovery is long but definitely possible and you guys have all of the support right here!