• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin heroin and visine eye drops

smallengine01

Bluelighter
I have a weird question. I saw this documentary abt krakodil in Russia and in a part they said that its common for iv users to inject heroin with visine mixed in as part or all of the liquid. It was said that the visine increases the high which is why they do it.

This true? Anyone tried it? I've been googling it for abt an hr and only found very limited info nothing specific as to the dangers or possible benefits.
I might try a few drops in my next shot and see what happens, try to see if theres anything noticable.

Any info would be appreciated.

Do not consume Tetrahydrozoline with H.! Stick to a few drops in each eye.

Symptoms of Tetrahydrozoline poisoning may include:
Coma
Difficulty breathing or no breathing
Blurred vision, change in pupil size
Blue lips and fingernails
Fast or slow heartbeat, changes in blood pressure (high at first, low later)
Headache
Irritability
Low body temperature
Nausea and vomiting
Nervousness, tremors
Seizures
Weakness

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002590.htm

Imidazole decongestants are present in a variety of over-the-counter medications, including eye drops and nasal sprays. Their primary mechanism of action is vasoconstriction, accomplished by direct stimulation of alpha receptors on blood vessels. Accidental and intentional poisonings involving these substances are increasing, and can cause mental status and respiratory depression, as well as other effects related to alpha receptor stimulation. We present a case of tetrahydrozoline ingestion in an adult who presented with chest pain, bradycardia, mental status depression, miosis, and other signs and symptoms of imidazole compound poisoning.https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8530784?dopt=Abstract

As Jekyl said, it's a bad idea to take it. The active ingedient in Visine is Tetrahydrozoline, a alpha-2 receptor and I-1-receptor agonist. In the eye it causes vasoconstriction, but if you use it via injection it'll cause a systemic reaction as Jekyl stated.
It may cause vasoconstriction (local due to alpha-2 receptor agonism in the blood vessels) at first and low blood pressure, sedation and analgesia later (due to agonism of postsynaptic alpha-2 receptors in the Nucleus tractus solitarii and via I-1 agonism in the Medulla oblongata), combined with heroin this will increase the side effects and will highly increase the risk of an overdose, which can lead to bradycardia, respiratory depression etc.

All in all it's extremely dangerous (especially as we don't know anything about systemic dosages afaik) with only some potential benefits. Imo you shouldn't try it, but if you insist on doing it have a sober trip sitter with some naloxone (don't forget that due to the short half life of naloxone it's possible to slip back into an OD if the naloxone wears of sooner than the opioid so calling an ambulance is still mandatory) on hand.