• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Helping a family member in trouble

gitaroder

Greenlighter
2 years from last posting here, my sibling is using heroin again... My parents are too old/weak to be able to deal with him & I have no idea how to talk to him anymore. My parents are still giving him money and I don't think he would ever accept to go to rehab.

The pandemic has made his situation a lot worse as far as complete isolation, depression, frequency of drug use and injury.

I am so desperate for him to get well, my only current options are to intercept his drug parcels by informing the post office (which would get him arrested) or get him committed (which he would never forgive me for...). Talking to him often feels like a dead-end as he is in permanent denial, unwilling to accept help, though his situation seems like it's as bad as it's ever been...

How do I help someone in trouble??

the sad fact is you can't do his recovery for him, so you need to practise damage limitation for yourself, and try to for your parents too. he may not be knowingly lying, but in denial himself.

are there any groups for families of addicts near you? my mum used to attend one when i was using and she found it useful- annoyingly they pointed out that by paying my bills after i lost my job they were enabling me but they were actually right so i can't hold it against them.

he is an adult and not your responsibility. i'm not saying ditch him, but put in boundaries and stick to them. make sure he knows you are there when he is ready for help. i can't imagine how awful it must be to see a loved one doing that to themselves, i've only ever been the loved one, so try and get help for the impact its having on you if you feel you'd benefit.

Like chinup said, boundaries are extremely important, lest you get dragged down with them.

You aren't abandoning them by having healthy boundaries. If anything it helps you maintain a position in which you can actually support them if they make the changes.

I wish both of you the best of luck. Hang in there.

Also you might consider al-anon, it's the counterpart to AA specially for people in your situation.

2 years from last posting here, my sibling is using heroin again... My parents are too old/weak to be able to deal with him & I have no idea how to talk to him anymore. My parents are still giving him money and I don't think he would ever accept to go to rehab.

The pandemic has made his situation a lot worse as far as complete isolation, depression, frequency of drug use and injury.

I am so desperate for him to get well, my only current options are to intercept his drug parcels by informing the post office (which would get him arrested) or get him committed (which he would never forgive me for...). Talking to him often feels like a dead-end as he is in permanent denial, unwilling to accept help, though his situation seems like it's as bad as it's ever been...

You can find evidence to get him court ordered treatment. And take it to DSS. But that sometimes will just make the issue worse but they can force him via the law. You can’t only a judge can force him

You can find evidence to get him court ordered treatment. And take it to DSS. But that sometimes will just make the issue worse but they can force him via the law. You can’t only a judge can force him
But be careful and make every attempt to stop it before involving the state cause ones they get it, it becomes another junkie forced into state rehabs. Which done nothing for me. I eventually got kicked out for slapping a wall in my bunk and it scared my bunkie who then reported me. Not knowing I was also facing homelessness even if I woulda completed rehab. A little looking kid mf scaring a grown man that looked like he seen some things idk how that was even a question . So they basically made a uniform decision to put me back detox or leave. You’re brother deserves love and support despite his addiction he needs to know he’s valued. What helped me. Was sleeping on a blow up mattress in a paint shop and having no one but my Uncle who put cameras up and watched my every move. I was coming off oxy. So heroin is a whole nother ball game but I beg your plight to do something your elderly parents do not deserve to live the last years watching a son die before them. And the guilt will lay on you all regardless but even more if he’s in the house. Tell your parents you want him barred from the property unless he seeks a decent treatment and then a follow up year long program.

the sad fact is you can't do his recovery for him, so you need to practise damage limitation for yourself, and try to for your parents too. he may not be knowingly lying, but in denial himself.

are there any groups for families of addicts near you? my mum used to attend one when i was using and she found it useful- annoyingly they pointed out that by paying my bills after i lost my job they were enabling me but they were actually right so i can't hold it against them.

he is an adult and not your responsibility. i'm not saying ditch him, but put in boundaries and stick to them. make sure he knows you are there when he is ready for help. i can't imagine how awful it must be to see a loved one doing that to themselves, i've only ever been the loved one, so try and get help for the impact its having on you if you feel you'd benefit.

Thanks @chinup @SnafuInTheVoid @FuneralFather. I'm not sure we can get to Al-anon meetings in person right now with the pandemic, but I will definitely check online. I'm just so freaked out that something awful is happening in the interim. Thanks for your words of support.

Thanks @chinup @SnafuInTheVoid @FuneralFather. I'm not sure we can get to Al-anon meetings in person right now with the pandemic, but I will definitely check online. I'm just so freaked out that something awful is happening in the interim. Thanks for your words of support.
Well you all deserve peace. I employ you to seek your Higher Power in this time as well.

Don't tell the post office, don't get law enforcement involved.

I've been on the other side of this, as in, been the one with a serious heroin problem with parents and siblings worrying about me.

If they did something like that, I'd be inclined to run off and just cut them out from my life completely. I wouldn't talk to them again until I was ready to get better on my own.

I know you're desperate to help him, I can relate to that too, so I understand where you're coming from in wanting to try anything that might get them help, but I honestly don't think it'll make anything better.

People have to be ready to get better, or they won't. Forcing them to get better before they're ready is likely to just make things worse.

some of you might not like my opinion but..
what about giving him 2 option first option is recovery by suboxone then vivitrol (one shot every month) or kicking him outside the home
you have gived him 2 option, you are not asshole by doing this
consider talking to who give him money (parents) to be able to do this
what you think guys about probability for this to work?

While I'm not sure about exactly this option, I think you're on the right line of thought here.

The sad reality is... you may not actually be able to help him, you may just have to create some distance for your own sake and hope for the best. But, before getting to that point, I think it would be a good idea to offer to help in a way that's more positive (seriously if my family court ordered me into withdrawal, I'm not sure I'd ever forgive them, I'd definitely never trust them again).

What you could do is offer to help financially with substitution therapy, like subuxone, or methadone if that's an option, and if he doesn't comply, you cut him off financially (if that's possible).

My family eventually cut me off, and while that did make things worse in the short term... I wound up homeless, begging, prostituting, stealing. It did eventually make things so bad that I was ready to seriously explore getting off heroin.

And unlike trying to force me into withdrawal or get me in trouble with the law, I understood them cutting me off financially and didn't hold any grudge over it. I already felt guilty using them for money anyway so I very much understood their position.

It's still a risk, if he says no, you'll have to do it, you can't be bluffing. And that may make things worse at first. Saddly things may have to get worse for him before they get better. In truth, some people die before they're ready to get better. Forcing him into rehab could cause that too. If you force someone into withdrawal before they're ready, they'll likely use again soon as they're able, but without their tolerance, it could kill them. Many junkies have died this way saddly.

If I were you. I think the ideal option would be to go to him, explain that you love him and want to help him. If it's at all possible, offer to help get him on a maintenance therapy, either financially, driving him there, being there with him, whatever. You can bring up other options too like rehab, but if he's anything like me, and especially if he's not otherwise ready to get off opioids, I think maintenance therapy has the best shot of getting him to agree.

But, he might not. If not, I would suggest cutting him off. Still be there for him, tell him you love him, offer emotional support, but don't give him money anymore.

If this isn't possible, because of your parents, or whatever. Then unfortunately, there may not be anything you can do but try and distance yourself for your own sanity and hope for the best. :(

But I honestly think involving law enforcement or compelled rehab is a bad idea. Apart from the suffering you'll be bringing on him, the enormous loss of trust and communication, and the danger of further damaging his future. There's no guarantee it'll work. If he's not ready it probably won't. It might seem to help at first, but it's likely he'll just say whatever anyone wants to hear till he can use again. I would. And then he'd have the added danger of lost tolerance.

Good luck. It's a horrible position to be in. I hope you can get through to him. :(

There are services available for family members of addicts and support groups.

It would help you to find and join one as there are many who are in the same boat and they would share their ways they can manage their lives .

I dont think doing a postal intercept or an intervention that leaves him in jail would work as then the problem for him then becomes you, not his own addiction.

If he finds himself in trouble through his own behaviour that might be a catalyst to deal with his situation. Hitting rock bottom is inevitable if he does not pull himself out.

I like a (condensed) quote by Steve-O:

Sobriety is like a cool pool. You dip your toe in, it's like "hell no, that's cold" and it sucks and you wont go in. If you dive in and accept it, it will suck like hell for a minute, but eventually it will feel fine. You cant go around pushing people into pools, expecting them to stay or enjoy it.

It takes a massive leap of faith to get clean. It is leaving behind every comfort you've ever know in a world that seems very uncomfortable. No way to soften that blow.

It sucks, a lot. Acceptance is the cornerstone of recovery programs for a reason. There is endless amounts of unfair, morbid shit addicts and their families have to accept. Life is not a story book like you thought. Some times the hero just wanders off into the darkness and never finds his way out. And that's the way she goes. Remind your brother he has a way out, and try to get your parents to stop giving him money, at all costs.

Depending on what country or state you are in, rehab can be covered.

Depending on what country or state you are in, rehab can be covered.
i am assuming UK given their location says hastings but i'm sure we spawned many hastings in our days of colonising everywhere and not bothering to think up new names for places so i could be wrong.

if i am correct in my assumption, then there is no court ordered rehab system here, you generally either have to contact rehabs directly and pay, find ones that have 'charitable beds' and get on the list for those, or go via the drugs services, and get on a massive waiting list. unfortunately, rehab services have been cut to the bone over here. none of these are worth doing if the OPs brother isn't ready, because it will not be easy to get a second shot, so they need to be going in with a strong desire to put the work in and make the best of that opportunity.

^always good to know your options ahead of time. If someone is spontaneously ready to get help, you dont want to start doing the research then, trust me... been there, spending hours and eventually days having very dangerous benzo withdrawal, trying to find a decent rehab with an open bed that fit my needs. In the USA, things are fucked, and they move slow; dont know if its better for you guys over there

I bet there are at least 10 Hastings in the USA. There is for sure 1 in my state. Absolutely right, so unoriginal. It boggles the mind.

i am assuming UK given their location says hastings but i'm sure we spawned many hastings in our days of colonising everywhere and not bothering to think up new names for places so i could be wrong.

if i am correct in my assumption, then there is no court ordered rehab system here, you generally either have to contact rehabs directly and pay, find ones that have 'charitable beds' and get on the list for those, or go via the drugs services, and get on a massive waiting list. unfortunately, rehab services have been cut to the bone over here. none of these are worth doing if the OPs brother isn't ready, because it will not be easy to get a second shot, so they need to be going in with a strong desire to put the work in and make the best of that opportunity.
Thank you everyone for your feedback. I can see enforced rehab or informing the post office would be a bad idea. If a person has spiralled totally out of control, has no checks on them, no friends, getting injured because of their drug addiction & threatening suicide to the few people (my family) they are in touch with, should social services not be contacted then? (Yes he is in the UK.) My family and I can attempt to retain our sanity, cut off money, and be there for him when the times comes, but I'm genuinely worried he is spiralling towards death or becoming permanently disabled, and he is a loong way from relinquishing drugs as a way of life or committing to any program.

it may be worth asking the drugs services in your area if there is anything you can do, but unfortunately if he is not willing to get help and not sick enough to be sectioned, there's probably little you can do without extreme leverage. the only way my parents got me to go to rehab was changing the locks on my house so i had the choice of going with them or being homeless with the clothes on my back, and i very seriously considered the latter.

take care of yourself. it must be awful. try not to get burned out with worry now, you want to be able mentally to help him when he's ready.