• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

PC Help with work laptop

Well so far I'm leaning towards the Asus laptop and just upgrading the ram. The CPU seems to perform at decent mid class applications and multi tasking and the GPU seems to be dedicated and rank a lot better then the Intel UHD 620 coming with the other laptops so far.

The ASUS with upgraded RAM and an SSD should do you fine. AMD is not my favourite but realistically they're not bad CPU's. Usually slower in benchmarks but in the real world those mean little. I will say that AMD chips tend to be less energy efficient compared to Intel which leads to less battery life, but most people keep laptops plugged in whenever possible anyway.

If you only have the money for one upgrade I highly recommending prioritising an SSD over RAM. You notice a much more significant performance enhancement from the I/O speeds of an SSD than you will from adding more RAM. The 5400rpm HDD's they put in laptops are especially terrible. But even a budget SSD will be so much faster, you will seriously notice it constantly, just make sure you get one from a reputable company. I have SSD's from Crucial, SanDisk, and Kingston with the former being cheapest. All are good, zero problems with any SSD I've ever had.

Not sure about SA prices but Amazon UK has 240GB SSD's for as low as £25 (~$30 USD). If you need 500GB it's around £50, or for 1TB it's £100.

The ASUS with upgraded RAM and an SSD should do you fine. AMD is not my favourite but realistically they're not bad CPU's. Usually slower in benchmarks but in the real world those mean little. I will say that AMD chips tend to be less energy efficient compared to Intel which leads to less battery life, but most people keep laptops plugged in whenever possible anyway.

If you only have the money for one upgrade I highly recommending prioritising an SSD over RAM. You notice a much more significant performance enhancement from the I/O speeds of an SSD than you will from adding more RAM. The 5400rpm HDD's they put in laptops are especially terrible. But even a budget SSD will be so much faster, you will seriously notice it constantly, just make sure you get one from a reputable company. I have SSD's from Crucial, SanDisk, and Kingston with the former being cheapest. All are good, zero problems with any SSD I've ever had.

Not sure about SA prices but Amazon UK has 240GB SSD's for as low as £25 (~$30 USD). If you need 500GB it's around £50, or for 1TB it's £100.
The thing is i have a 250gb ssd drive from my old desktop but im not allowed to put it in otherwise i lose my warranty. So its a semi fuckup there. But i can ask them to upgrafe that for me too but there pricing is ridiculous. So i will upgrade ram through them and fing away if needed to use my own ssd drive. But lets see what i can orrganize