• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help with reducing tolerance

justhere7400

Greenlighter
I am sure there are threads around here for this but I cannot seem to find any.
I am looking for help with reducing tolerance to Codeine.
Any suggestions would be greatly helpful.

Thanks!

Many people have said DXM works in reducing tolerance. Or magnesium supplements. The best way would be to take around a week or 2 of sobriety and allow your tolerance to reset, although I know how difficult that can be.

The whole thing about using stuff like DXM or magnesium doesn't really work that well in my experience. Plus I think using these NMDA antagonist is reported to help prevent the development of tolerance not to lower already developed tolerance?

OP Are you using daily or sporadically? A long break is the best way but if you're using daily and physically dependent then you could try tapering your dose lower if you don't want to stop completely.

Are you trying to reduce your tolerance to take less of the drug or reduce it to get high at lower doses. Short acting opioids can shoot your tolerance up very fast. The good news is your tolerance can go down pretty fast too. When adjusting a dose of say Klonipin, you make adjustments every couple of weeks. With short acting opioids you can reduce your dose a little every day or two. And yes this will lower your tolerance.

Some personal tricks that have worked real well with me are:
a) If you can, dont take exact dosage daily. I divide a 70mg capsule into 2 to come up with my 35mg dose and that helps make the dose approximate since I'm doing it manually.
b) Take it 2-3 days, take a day off. Again 2-3 days, day off.
c) I agree with others, Magnesium supplements have not worked for me. I have tried the expensive Magtein that crosses the BBB and still no effect. I have tried NAC and no effect.

Tolerance can be decreased but it's easier to cut your tolerance and use NMDA antagonists to prevent tolerance from building, or at least slow it down ( as said above). Opioid Antagonists and inverse agonists dosed in very small amounts, also known as ULDN (ultra low dose naltrexone) can increase the effectiveness.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7479836 ~Ultra-low concentrations of naloxone selectively antagonize excitatory effects of morphine on sensory neurons, thereby increasing its antinociceptive potency and attenuating tolerance/dependence during chronic cotreatment.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8947924 ~Modulatory effects of Gs-coupled excitatory opioid receptor functions on opioid analgesia, tolerance, and dependence.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22920535 ~Direct association of Mu-opioid and NMDA glutamate receptors supports their cross-regulation: molecular implications for opioid tolerance.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19630721 ~Do pharmacological approaches that prevent opioid tolerance target different elements in the same regulatory machinery?

~-NMDA-antagonists-for-tolerance-a-collection-of-the-evidence-and-anecdotal-reports

~Is-it-possible-to-reverse-opioid-tolerance

I've been on relatively high doses of pain meds, so keep that in mind. A good while ago when I would be nearing refill day and say a week out I'd realize that fact. I would start reducing my dose (usually I dosed every 6 hours) to where near the end, instead of 20mg a dose, I would be taking something like 2 or 3mg. It used to look like almost nothing. Come refill day, I'd do my 20mg after 2-5 days of the reduced dosage. Needless to say, I would puke numerous times until my body adjusted. My point being that one can reset their tolerance pretty quickly with a little willpower. Again, not to beat the point to death but keep in mind I am someone who takes a good amount of medication and have been for many decades. Good luck OP, yes it can be done!