• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help with coming off oxycodone. New withdrawal experience

Day 14 of 50-60 mg a day oxycodone withdrawal, on and off for years. Feel completely hopeless, just lay in bed all day...no interest in anything, no excitement or positive feelings.

The actual initial withdrawal wasn’t so bad. Not great but I got through it. But this PAWS man, wow. I feel like someone vacuumed out my soul.

Does it really get easier? If so, when? I exercise and eat reasonably well. Have a great life, family, and make good money. Just can’t help but feel sorry for myself right now, even though I know this is what I need to be doing.
I completely understand. I have a great life, great family, friends, boyfriend, job, etc. I used to think the physical withdrawals were the worst (which when in the thick of it, they really are) but the mental part that sits in and stay for a while longer is so hard. Just keep thinking of the bad associations and experiences you had when on oxy... whether it was always worrying about the next high, missing out on genuine time with family, the time/money/personality it takes away from you. I keep telling myself if I don’t stop, it will eventually get the better of me and I’ll lose the life I love and have worked so hard to get. Just keep telling yourself that!

Yes you will reach a point where you start to appreciate being sober and the PAWs goes away (at least inevitably enough to not even notice or complain about it much at all).

You return 100% EVENTUALLY. Even if you ate the whole poppy plant while making black tar heroin brownies for a super long time the opiate family is strangely physically benign in comparison to the physical and mental damaging effects of other drugs. You'll always glorify "the good old days" and think that oxycodone/whatever is the best feeling on earth, when in reality you were probably high just eating a bag of chips sitting in a chair. There are indeed worse things subjectively to be addicted to no doubt about it, but this is the worst long term to be addicted to. You will never stop wanting it. Ever lol. Even when you're high you still want it.

It just runs deep but there's more to life than opiates believe it or not. And even the time you spend sober despite any relapse is still quite meaningful. Who actually wants to get high everyday? It's fun for a while until it becomes "okay." Then it's just boring and you're locked with a horrible withdrawal that makes you not want to live anymore. Most addicts who have a taste for opiates aways want them. But ask someone who has been on oxycodone for two decades who can easily afford it if they are still having fun. There's a reason why most junkies fantasize about being sober. It's not fun when a substance calls the shots and tells your body when it needs to take it again.. Kind of defeats the purpose of recreational substance use when you're just trying to get high not to feel like you're dying (aka withdrawal). I can't think of another drug that becomes your god and starts to control every aspect of your world.

Last edited:
Even when you're high you still want it.
This. This is what makes it so dangerous, I spent close to a year doing oxy only once or twice a week with 5 day breaks thinking ah I've got this under control, another year later and 40-80mg a day for months.. yep its sneaky no amount was enough I was never happy with how high I got I always wanted more, even xanax addiction wasn't like that