Help need advice for son

Buttercup25

Greenlighter
So...i really need advice on how to help my son please...he lives 3 hours from me and to be honest i have attempted to help him in rehab several times but goes right back to boyfriends house...he has been a heroin addict for a few years...told me he was addicted to the needle..im so broken mentally idk what to do.. he has OD over 5 times. Now he seems to be in a drug induced psychosis..literally asking me if he us crazy..that he saw me try to kill myself..that he stays in closet because people have guns pointed at him..and alot if other stuff..im afraid to call police because i dont want him charged with felonies..u dont know what he gas on him...do i go up there and find him? How do i get him admitted to a drug center? Im at a loss..any adivce?

Welcome to Bluelight Buttercup25 :)

I'm going to move this to The Dark Side, where you'll get the appropriate attention for you and your son.

Best wishes,
madness00

NMI --> TDS

So...i really need advice on how to help my son please...he lives 3 hours from me and to be honest i have attempted to help him in rehab several times but goes right back to boyfriends house...he has been a heroin addict for a few years...told me he was addicted to the needle..im so broken mentally idk what to do.. he has OD over 5 times. Now he seems to be in a drug induced psychosis..literally asking me if he us crazy..that he saw me try to kill myself..that he stays in closet because people have guns pointed at him..and alot if other stuff..im afraid to call police because i dont want him charged with felonies..u dont know what he gas on him...do i go up there and find him? How do i get him admitted to a drug center? Im at a loss..any adivce?

You could have him sectioned? If he's psychotic he's a danger to himself. Plus, he can't do heroin is he's in hospital. Unfortunately he's an adult and there isn't much you can do. Have you tried holding an Intervention? If you get a proper interventionist and have a place for him to go to right after the intervention that should work. It works like 90% of the time on "Intervention".
Have you tried talking with his boyfriend, see if he'll support you in helping him?

Btw, I have NEVER heard of opiate-induced psychosis. Sorry to break it to you but he's almost definitely doing stimulants too. Meth is by far the most common cause of psychosis, although it can be caused by very high doses of cocaine (briefly) or long-term use of weaker amphetamines.

Last edited:
Unfortunately i am the only one that is trying to help him...his father is entering rehab tomorrow for his issues. His boyfriend is not the best over the past 4 years he has done meth and jacob ..my son has done both but heroin is his 1st. Although his boyfriend has been the one calling me telling me he has done everything to help him and he cant take seeing him like this. That he has been trying to get his own life together but if he doesn't do what my son wants my son freaks out breaking stuff and hallucinating. I am gonna go up to see jacob tomorrow and if i can't talk him into going to get help i guess my only choice is calling police..i HATE to even think about doing that. I am a addict myself but gave been clean for a few years so i understand how and why he is like this. Its just as a mom i am terrified to lose him...but thank you..I appreciate any advice

It does indeed sound like he is doing meth as well, classic meth psychosis symptoms. Heroin does not cause that sort of thing. My best friend was psychotic on meth for the better part of 2 years and it was horrible, eventually he ended up homeless in the winter and couldn't get meth long enough to clear his head enough to know he needed help badly... finally he went back to live with his parents, and tried outpatient rehab but it wasn't working, so a couple of months later he checked himself into 3 months of intense in-patient rehab. It took about a year for the paranoia to fully fade but at last he is back to himself and doing well. My friend has basically gone from one drug to another his whole life and this is the first time he finally seems clear of it... I hope.

In any case my point is that people need to want to stop, and need to help themselves. You simply can't do it for them. All you can do is be there for him emotionally, but also be aware that in the depths of addiction people can become extremely manipulative. Giving him money is only going to enable him.

It's a very difficult and painful situation and I'm so sorry you have to deal with it ❤ Calling the police will probably make him feel betrayed but in some cases,a week of jail time or whatever can force someone to sober up enough to stop being psychotic. My friend lived in Kansas City when he was psychotic and his parents tried all sorts of stuff, the police would always say they couldn't do anything unless they caught him breaking the law. One time he ncalled his parents and said he was going to kill himself and they called the police (since they live 10 hours away) and the police knocked on the door, got no answer, and left and said they had no idea if he was alright or not. Turns out my friend was just passed out (from finally succumbing to days of no sleep) but still, they weren't much help. I think what they can do depends on state/local laws.

I was going to say I don’t see the H being the reason for psychosis.

I will pray!

I do have a question for anyone that knows...can the psychosis he is in stay with him forever? Will this change him mentally? I appreciate all the replies
..im just emotionally a wreck...it sucks

It can’. He needs intervention now before it gets any worse. Mine lasted seven months. Started to fade after a Anti Psychotic but I didn’t take it seriously so almost a year later started going thru it again. I still have residue and that was 14 years ago.

Ok again thank u guys for replying..im going up to him tomorrow and trying everything i can to get him to go to rehab or hospital...im just scared for him. My only other option is to call police for welfare check.

He's an adult, I would just let him be. Be there for him if he's ready for help but I don't think potentially getting him in trouble with the law is a good solution.

Ok i agree...i dont think i could live with myself if he got charges because of me...hopefully he will listen to me and see i am only trying to help

Good luck! But don't feel too bad if it doesn't work - remember, at the end of the day he has to WANT to get better.

I REALLY suggestion the Intervention thing.

I agree. I stayed in jail cuz I didn’t know how to use the phone. I got worse and worse until I was beat up. That knock some sense into me, no pun intended, I suggest you try to help him now.

Get him to a psych ward before he’s in jail and doesn’t know where he’s at.

Thank u so much guys...as i myself am a addict but have turned my life around..no where near perfect..its a challenge daily...so i hope he knows i understand..i feel a little better talking to everyone...

As with my son they are Blessed and cursed to have addicts for parent. Clean ones are the better option, but a Mom is a Mom ?. Stay away from the cops thing as long as you can, it will not be very helpful to have broken that Trust. Remember that you are a very strong Power of example, and do Really know what he is going through. What you want is that moment of clarity and grace for him to want help. Deep down no one wants to be in Active addiction really Sucks !!!!!!

Ok again thank u guys for replying..im going up to him tomorrow and trying everything i can to get him to go to rehab or hospital...im just scared for him. My only other option is to call police for welfare check.
I'm so sorry you're going through this. It sounds terrible. He is likely using stimulants and not just opiates.

Stay strong and please be safe, and get some help for your family and best of luck.

Not good ????...he said he f***ing hates me..that i believe his boyfriend over him..that his boyfriend is making him this way...that he hears all these voices...that he wanted me and my 17 year old daughter..his sister to get away..started hitting things..and that no treatment will make his voices go away..that he just wanted to sleep..but obliviously cant...his boyfriend told me he cant have him there anymore because he has no money to give him for his drugs...his boyfriend and him are a totally different matter..they r not good for one another but jacob keeps running back..i went and personally talked to 2 different rehab facilities by him and they told me that with him being a adult and not threatening to hurt himself my hands r tied...it is soul crushing to go thru this...im not in the best situation but im trying so hard to be a great mother and help him...???