• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help me get off codeine.

Greyfoxhead

Greenlighter
Hi, I'm new here and could do with a little help. Firstly I apolog if I am breaking any rules.
I have a little bit of a codeine problem, it started off as just using panadeine etc when I needed it due to being in pain, and the effects were always a nice bonus. Slowly it evolved to me taking them more for the buzz even when I didn't need them. Then to taking them every night before bed to sleep, then as a coping mechanism because sometimes life is just shit. Anyway it got to the point where I'd pop 4 nurofen plus and 4 panadeine extra when I wake up, again after a few hours and once more before bed, every day. This has been going for months now. As you know, all that nurofen and paracetamol is a bad idea. I was convinced I didn't have a problem until I tried to stop taking them, ended up with withdrawal symptoms and went straight back to the 4 and 4 tablets to deal with those. As well as the withdrawal there's also the psychological side of things where even though I don't physically need it all the time, I crave it. Well I'm over it, I want to be rid of the stuff completely and that's why I'm here reaching out for help. You know things are bad when im actually proud of myself for going 1 day without it. So if there is any advice anyone can give me to help that would be greatly appreciated.
Also, I am aware of cwe, tried it a few times but ultimately didn't care enough to be bothered with it.
My current plan is to hold off taking any as long as I can and have just a little bit if the withdrawal gets too much, I don't know if this is a good idea though.

I have been prescribed Valium for anxiety so I'm wondering if that could be any help while I try kick this habit. After what's happened with the codeine I am only using the Valium very rarely so this doesn't happen again.
also, can weed be helpful with what I'm trying to achieve here? Since its a regular part of my diet anyway haha.

One last question, I hate doctors with a passion and avoid them when I can, but is there any point bringing this up with a doctor? Is there anything he could possibly do other than be a dick about it? lol

sorry for the wall of text here but I just don't know what to do, and doing it alone got me nowhere.

Opiates have always proven to be a magnificent escape from an underwhelming reality. Aside from physical withdrawal, changing/improving what you're escaping from is key. Otherwise, you're just substituting one chemical for another.

Last edited:
What specific Withdrawls are you feeling? I've been a long time user of codeine and honestly not had that much of withdrawls when I stop. Maybe a little tired and lethargic but that's it.

If you are feeling anxious yes a valluim will help but for god sake, only use that if you really have to. Let's not create another problem here.

loperamide helped me TREMENDOUSLY when i was withdrawing from heroin. it still sucked obviously but it really helped physically, but physical is only a small percent of the battle. i did that withdrawal with no benzos.

BENZOS-- the previous times i withdrew from heroin and oxycodone, i got a bunch of xanax and just completely obliterated myself (not the best idea) to the point where i either couldn't stay awake, or when i was awake i was so fucked up from the xanax i didnt even realize what was going on. if taking a bunch of benzos worries you, at least take a little bit of the valium you have during withdrawal. for me at least, they do an excellent job at minimizing cravings and helping me get to sleep, and pass the time.

Last time the effects I got were body aches, runny nose, sweats, insomnia and major diarrhoea. Im sure there were others but more than that it was the psychological part of things that just made me say fuck it, taking the pills is way easier than this, so I went straight back to them. Last night after almost 24 hours I got aches and sweats again, smoked some "herbs" and felt like a million bucks but still couldn't sleep and eventually the aches came back. I had a small dose of nurofen plus and panadeine to help sleep. I do feel bad about it but at the same time I'm happy because it's such a small fraction of what I'd usually have.

Last time the effects I got were body aches, runny nose, sweats, insomnia and major diarrhoea. Im sure there were others but more than that it was the psychological part of things that just made me say fuck it, taking the pills is way easier than this, so I went straight back to them. Last night after almost 24 hours I got aches and sweats again, smoked some "herbs" and felt like a million bucks but still couldn't sleep and eventually the aches came back. I had a small dose of nurofen plus and panadeine to help sleep. I do feel bad about it but at the same time I'm happy because it's such a small fraction of what I'd usually have.

You say it's a coping mechanism, I'm the same at times mate. I abused tramadol for a long time cause it made me happy but you can't do it forever. My tramadol withdrawals sound like your codeine withdraws.

Tell friends and family what you are going through? Might help. Excerise even though it sounds like hell can help, go walks.

Stick with it mate. Life will get better without it. Good luck