• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Help- I'm a noob when It comes to different forms of cannibis

ScoobySnax30

Greenlighter
I smoked for a few years in my twenties and recently got my MM card. I am familiar with dry leaf and cartridges but after that I'm lost but I'm curious.
What is live resin sugar, shatter ,"sauce", wax, resin badder/budder and how do you go about smoking these (if you can)?

Thanks in Advance

So these are concentrates, and you can either put them on a rig, which is a metal plate that you heat with a torch then drop the concentrate on, or you can use them to cook with.

Or, as you’re comfortable with flower, you can add a bit if budder or shatter or whatever to a joint, bowl it, etc. The rigs are the best, but I broke mine and now just use the stove. Careful with concentrates at first. It;s like going from wine to vodka, kinda.

Salutations ScoobySnax30,

Why not learn to recognize all forms of vilification so at least you get the option to avoid becoming a self-vilifying vector yourself?

Please consider thinking about "The Shortest path of Lesser Transformation", which should ring a bell right away whenever toxic self-poisoning combustion is mentioned, especially if you've got a lifetime still remaining ahead.

Next i'd recommend looking carefully at a collection of trichome macro snapshots, for example on the instagram pages of Sannie, founder of OpenGrow and enthousiast 100% organic cannabis photographer:

[ https:// www.instagram.com/sanniesseeds/ ]

It turns out dame Nature already provides convenient, cost-effective and quality-filtered packaging under the form of trichome glands where noble substances are collected at the site of genesis on a molecular basis, so why would anyone want to ruin such high degree of natural excellence with exposure to the risks of concentration, as this exacerbates the ratio of trichome to vegetal tissue? My point being that the substrate may happen to involve potential contaminants and most specially pesticides if not "bio".

An other form of vilification is the extreme imbalance resulting from decades of prohibition as it actually boosted a tendency to select THC-centric genetics, denying the benefits of CBD combined to the "entourage effect", considering it appears that THC/CBD work best together since they're mutual moderators of each other. Ideally seeking "bio" that ranges between 2 artificial man/made extremes which are Full-CBD or 1:1 vs intense "recreational" previously treated as "criminal"...

In addition, yet one more vilification aspect IMO would be the ritual which gets significantly shaped by one's prefered consumption method. The cigarette/"joint" format in particular, as it systematically promotes abuse unless part of it gets wastefully sacrificed simply to segment the session. in comparison "1-Hit" scenarios multiply opportunities to leave the tool aside between each toke, which may also benefit by allowing time to gain self-awareness. Even further control riding the "Tolerance" treshold can be acquired via "Micro-Dosing" methods, which to me sounds like a more profitable option compared to just falling asleep! Etc.

Once in a while gross abuse is fun too but it quickly changes to a trap for those who are after the "perfect" toke, because the more they try the less they succeed repeating it. Much like early airplanes which mysteriously started to fail when reaching speed close to the sound barrier.

In any case cannabis defeats consumerist attitudes as it only opens the gates of your mind, while *YOU* still need to perform the propulsion on your way to a MACH-2 barrier.

Good day, have fun!! ☮

I smoked for a few years in my twenties and recently got my MM card. I am familiar with dry leaf and cartridges but after that I'm lost but I'm curious.
What is live resin sugar, shatter ,"sauce", wax, resin badder/budder and how do you go about smoking these (if you can)?

Thanks in Advance

First things first, it's bud or flower, you don't want any of the leafs except the tiny ones full of resin that come out in between flowers.
If you cut this this small leafs that's the sugar trim

As it has been said, all the products you mentioned are concentrates.
Concentrates are products obtained by extracting the resin glands from the cannabis plant using solvents, heat and pressure, or sieving.
The solvents used are almost always hydrocarbons such as butane, methanol or ethanol. AFAIK Butane is the most popular as it evaporates quicker being that it is a gas at ambient temp and normal pressure.
To quickly and completely evaporate the solvent, a heated box is kept at low pressure using a vacuum compressor.
If the freshly cut plant is frozen immediately and extraction is performed, You get live resin, called that way as this method preserves the fresh smell of the cannabis plant when it is alive.
If the buds are dried and cured You get the other types of concentrates, that have a weaker smell (less terpenes) that also smells a bit more like hash due to oxidation.
How the weed is treated and how the extract is treated after evaporating the solvent will determine the form it will take.
If left completely undisturbed it will crystallise into shatter, or it can be made into butter/wax by mechanical agitation, and using heat treated weed for the extraction will give sap.
Shatter holds the least terpenes and the most THC, often over 90% by weight. To get shatter it is needed to also remove all waxes and oils from the extract, this can be made directly during extraction by some machines or after through winterization (having the wax solidify in a sub zero solvent that will then be filtered)
Wax/butter is less potent because it will retain more terpenes, still strong as hell, up to 80%
Live resin is like wet/oily granules as there will be a small amount of water and a high amount of terpenes (the oily components that give cannabis its smell).
If you buy wax winterization can be easily made at home with pure alcohol and a freezer.

There is another extraction tech that uses CO2, it has mostly specific uses as you can selectively extract components from the plant, like only CBD, only THC, only terpenes.
But it can also be used to produce the same derivatives as butane, with the advantages that there is no possibility of an explosion, the CO2 can be recycled, and there is no risk of solvent or solvent impurities being present in the final product.

With heat and pressure extraction is possible to get rosin, that is similar to shatter, or budder, the whipped up version of rosin.

Beating up buds over a fine mesh sieve of around 100 microns will give kief, that is a very fine powder.
It's basically only trichomes and can be pressed into hash.

Bubble hash is obtained by way of removing trichomes from cannabis by immersing plant material into water and ice, causing trichomes to harden and be broken off easily, and then mixing for a while.
The plant material can then be discarded and the water with trichomes will be filtered with progressively finer meshes.
The finer the mesh, the least plant material will be present as obviously the mixing breaks off some small pieces of leaf and bud.
It can be sold graded by the measure of the mesh used.

Hope it is all clear enough.

Last edited:
All you need to know is that all that stuff you mentioned is created by stoner nerds with nothing better to do. Just stick to smoking bud mate... :D