• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Help! Getting medicinal weed being bipolar (Canada)

Dcole461

Bluelighter
Hi all,

So, I have an appointment next week with a doctor to hopefully get a prescription. The trouble is, I'm bipolar and I know cannabis is contraindicated.

However, I find weed to be far better than any mood stabilizers I've tried. I'm afraid I'll be denied, and fortunately it's legal recreationally, but the medical side has far better options for me in terms of CBD and tinctures.

I know it's hard (maybe impossible to say), but is there any hope? I could use some right now.

There is hope.

I have bipolar disorder and smoke weed. It actually brought me down from mania one time. Just explain to them how it has helped and maybe say that sativa helps your depression and indica helps sedate you in mania. You're right, for some people it is a good mood stabilizer. There's just information saying early use of marijuana can speed up the onset of bipolar, but even so everyone's chemistry is unique and for a doctor to tell you something doesn't work when it in fact does, is not all that professional. We know our bodies best.. IMO.

I'm Canadian and have been prescribed weed multiple times (primarily to control vomiting/nausea from dialysis) but also have to deal with ptsd from killing animals at work, depression, etc. My psychiatrist tries to 'gently' guide me towards the CBD dominant strains but it hasn't prevented me from getting my prescription renewed. If you think it might help, write down a log of how you use Cannabis and how it helps.

You can also point out to your (?) doctor the issue of limited finances - and as every single penny spent on legally prescribed cannabis is a legitimate medical deduction at tax time that alone is a good justification for getting a prescription (and some insurance plans allow you to claim 100% of prescribed cannabis against health care spending accounts). Plus allowed to consume in places where others are not. Can carry up to 150g of prescribed Cannabis on your person. And so on.

And the cost of medical weed is usually much less.

Good luck.

Tom

Thank you for your replies. Just wanted to update and say that I got my prescription. They said they're much more concerned with people that have a history of psychosis which luckily is not a feature of my bipolar.