• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Help dr retiring

Informant

Bluelighter
Hi I live in Fl and have been using my primary for all my pain meds he is retiring and I am really scared I am on methadone and roxycodone and also have been on pain meds for over 15 yrs due to nerve damage. I don't want to go back to dope what do I do? I am honestly at the point where I cannot function without opioids and I never realized it is so hard to find a doctor. What do I do? I feel like I am going to loose my job and everything I have gained I don't abuse my meds please what is my best bet to find a new doc.

Ask your Doctor to refer you to a new Doctor. He should also write the new Doctor a letter explaining your regiment.

That's standard procedure, he should have offered that.

I answered a similar question on another site, as I was in your boat 3-4 years ago. I think almost all of it applies to you, OP. Here's what I wrote to that individual:

"Good docs are out there and briefly I'll share with you my "having to find a new pain doc" went for me. I don't live in your area but I was told by my pain doc, after seeing him for nearly 10 years, he was retiring. I was on my own, he couldn't provide me with any referrals and the bottomline was, he was gone. First thing I did was I got a copy of my records pronto, before my doc was sitting on a beach somewhere in Florida. Next, I hit the internet and saw I had two or three options in the nearest semi-big city about 25 minutes away. The first one I called could see me in about a week. I was ecstatic but still concerned they wouldn't pick up my scripts where I was at with my old doctor. After a complete evaluation they wanted me to do a few injections to see if they'd provide any relief at all. I told them I had tried them in the past, about 12 years ago, and all they did was hurt me more! However, I told them I was absolutely willing to try anything whatsoever if they thought it could help. So, those were scheduled and he then sat down in front of me, looked at my records to see what I was currently prescribed. He then told me they (the entire practice) did not prescribe "that" drug but he was willing to work with me and prescribe the equivalent dose of another very good pain med. They even offered to prescribe break-through meds, which my other doctor did not do. My old pain doc's alternative was to refill my 30 day script on day 28 each month. That way I would be able to have extras should the need arise.

In the end, I think my willingness to work with them was a factor and the fact that I came to the appointment well prepared with records in-hand was also a factor in my favor. My point in all of this is that you (OP) can succeed in finding a new pain doctor. They're out there and you may have to travel or do a few things you may not want to do in a perfect world, but keep a positive outlook and keep hitting the internet and keep doing it until you can make it happen. I honestly believe you can find someone. Please don't give up and I sincerely wish for your success!"

When this happens in the medical field, typically the patient has nowhere else to go, no one else to see, your doctor will prescribe you (just once) the proper amount of meds to kill you, blissfully. Don't be hesitant, this is a common practice when doctors retire to reduce problems with future doctors.

Okay, I'm joking but the above posters are correct-mundo.

yeah have doctor refer u. much better to have a doctor backing u up than u looking like a drug seeking addict at ur next doctor. if i were u i would do this ASAP before he retires and doesnt care to help anymore.

Thank you all I am just so damn scared cause I feel like it's going to be a job and a half to find a new doc especially willing to work with me. It's like it is almost impossible to find a doc nowadays for pain meds. I am going through so much anxiety and I have you know one of those gut feelings that I am going to be in trouble. It is so sad that it is so hard to find a legit dr in the USA especially that will take insurance and not treat you like a drug seeker which I admit I had a drug problem but have not abused my meds dr shopped or ever needed my meds earlier than 30 days. I hate to say it or even think it but what do I do if I cannot find a doc start using dope again which will ruin me I am really nervous.

Right. And then if the first doctor you see won't honor your previous doctors prescriptions and you have to search for a new doctor, they accuse you of 'doctor shopping' and you get the big stamp that says 'drug seeker' on your records and you'll never get your proper prescriptions again. It's a fucking nightmare. My GF went through all this shit when she moved to a different town. None of the backwoods hill-billy doctors had even heard of her condition and just thought she was a drug seeker. So we had to drive 800 miles to her previous doctors office once a month just so she could get her prescriptions. It's a damn shame. Now they've reclassified all the painkillers and made it nearly impossible for people with chronic pain to get their medications. There are people all over the country with severe pain who are being refused painkillers because the media has been perpetuating hysteria about the 'opiate epidemic'. You know something is wrong with the medical system when cancer patients are trying to score Oxy's off the street because the chicken-shit doctors are afraid to write a prescription. Meanwhile my girlfriend, who can hardly get out of bed and take a shower, is smoking heroin because it's cheaper and more effective than spending thousands of dollars every month on blackmarket pills. Fuck.that.shit.

Last edited:
You do what you have to do, if pain is that much of a factor in getting through life
even balling up your roots and transplanting if need be.

Right. And then if the first doctor you see won't honor your previous doctors prescriptions and you have to search for a new doctor, they accuse you of 'doctor shopping' and you get the big stamp that says 'drug seeker' on your records and you'll never get your proper prescriptions again. It's a fucking nightmare. My GF went through all this shit when she moved to a different town. None of the backwoods hill-billy doctors had even heard of her condition and just thought she was a drug seeker. So we had to drive 800 miles to her previous doctors office once a month just so she could get her prescriptions. It's a damn shame. Now they've reclassified all the painkillers and made it nearly impossible for people with chronic pain to get their medications. There are people all over the country with severe pain who are being refused painkillers because the media has been perpetuating hysteria about the 'opiate epidemic'. You know something is wrong with the medical system when cancer patients are trying to score Oxy's off the street because the chicken-shit doctors are afraid to write a prescription. Meanwhile my girlfriend, who can hardly get out of bed and take a shower, is smoking heroin because it's cheaper and more effective than spending thousands of dollars every month on blackmarket pills. Fuck.that.shit.
That's messed up dood , I have the same label and can't even get on maintenance or any benzos at all and I'm sick of having to pay for meds out of my already meager allowance.

Thank you all I am just so damn scared cause I feel like it's going to be a job and a half to find a new doc especially willing to work with me. It's like it is almost impossible to find a doc nowadays for pain meds. I am going through so much anxiety and I have you know one of those gut feelings that I am going to be in trouble. It is so sad that it is so hard to find a legit dr in the USA especially that will take insurance and not treat you like a drug seeker which I admit I had a drug problem but have not abused my meds dr shopped or ever needed my meds earlier than 30 days. I hate to say it or even think it but what do I do if I cannot find a doc start using dope again which will ruin me I am really nervous.

Shit, knock off the "I've lost before I've even begun" attitude. I WAS in your shoes and was incredibly apprehensive. You have to put yourself out there and try. Believe it or not, there actually are decent places out there that will take you and your insurance. Hell PM me and maybe you live near me and I can help you out. If not, please do not give up.