• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Help cutting almost 2 years of Tramadol addiction

delphinen

Bluelighter
Im 22, Tramadol addict (and also do do once or two times per month Hydrocodone or Codeine, but these are very often). I have a very good work, and earn good money, but my addiction could not be supported even if I earn the double of money I do now. Also, I used to be a person "customized" to suffering, its hard to explain, but opiates (and benzos) did bring to me what I was not born to not have; that is pleasure and relax. Anyway.

I need to cut this Tramadol habit, and I gonna go cold turkey. I already plan to use Loperamide for the dizzy feeling and Diphenhydramine for the depression and sweating. Any other recommendation would be very welcome.

As I said, im also a benzo addict, but this addiction doesnt suck me up the money the way Tramadol does, so im willing to support it without problems. Plus I dont want to stop benzos, and I think a withdrawal from both would be impossible. I do IV/IM/oral Diazepam and Clonazepam, and sometimes Midazolam to finish me up (although Diphenhydramine its way more powerful than any benzo.... but thats another topic)

What symptoms should I expect and how long should I suffer from them until my body works ok by itself with its own endorphins? is there anyway to tell the body to release more endorphins? I used to be a cutter, would going back to cutting for some weeks help me? Im talking for real here.

i dont really think tramadol will give you very bad withdrawals at all, its a very very weak opiate, some doctors around here even say its a synthetic, or has no opiate properties, not really sure. either way, the best way to quit something is to stop taking it slowly. Lower yourself off it. And be thankful you dont have a nice oxy or hydromorphone or fentanyl addiction to get rid of, cuz that is hell. Good luck

quitting tramadol is really like quitting an opioid and an anti-depressant. I suggest you cut your dose in half over the course of a week, and then continue cutting untill you can't go any lower. Maintain the lowest intake possible and go cold turkey from there. Good luck mate :)

// as for withdrawals, yes there will be withdrawal, more than you get from a codeine habbit. Plus depression will be so much worse because of tramadols anti-depressant effects. You're in for one helluva ride. No need to wrap that in a sugar coating.

/// also try supplementing with a natural anti depressant such as st. Johns worth, it can only help. Be aware though that it's a mild MAOI

I agree with Rav23, Taper or weaning is the best way to manage any substance addiction. Just cut your dose lower and lower at a pace you can handle by decreasing the amount you consume along with the how often you take it and and space out the gaps longer and longer until your carefree. Try to work out what times of the day your most craving so u can only take it then, prioritise, like sleeping should be an important factor so try and hang out an hour or two before bedtime before taking the tapered dose just so you can at least get some uniterrupted sleep. make a plan on paper outlining your weaning dose and methods, and set a date and make it your goal to be weaned off the drugs by then.

Most important of all remember prevention is the best cure. you could have easily prevented this from hapening in the first place by taking breaks in between your use and using sensibly if your using recreationally you have no excuse as missing out on a few days or a week of fun will not kill you, even I take a few days off from the painkillers I desperatly need to manage a chronic condition and severe joint problems, so whats your excuse? Those breaks you take in between are for a better cause. you should know that by now that if you allow yourself to use too regualrly you risk addiction and a bad withdrawl, using sensibly is all a part of the package to enjoying drugs.

Im glad you are trying to stop letting your addiction take control of you, good luck

well, you already have done the first and hardest step. That would be realizing that you are addicted and that you need to stop. Most people can't get past that and ruin their lifes. As long as you know you're addicted and you're willing to fight you get clean 80% of the time. It's not gonna be a fun time, it will be living hell. But in the end and looking back on what you have accomplished is a wonderful feeling and well worth the trouble.

I agree that tapering is best but in a sense I can appreciate the fortitude to go cold turkey. If your already taking benzos then i guesse just stick with them. Benzos can definitely help with withdrawls. I'm not sure what you mean by benadryl is harder/stronger than benzos? And no please don't cut yourself. Cutting is just another addiction/ coping method that is really not beneficial to you at all.

Just ween yourself off. It shouldn't be too hard.

Masturbate, excercise, get some sunlight, do whatever it takes to release some yummy brain chemicals. Just don't cut. That's the dumbest thing you can do to release endorphins.

Also proper diet with all your neccesary nutrients, vitamins, minerals, etc. would help greatly. Eat lots of food with tryptophan like dairy food and bananas. That will help with the depression greatly. It'lll also help with insomnia.

Rave 23 has good advice. Taper all the way, as there is no reason to cold turkey. Quitting tramadol is tougher than quitting heroin (and almost as tough as methadone for many), so you'd be CRAZY to do that. NOW, I can share some things with you, if you insist on going cold turkey, as I have successfully quit cold turkey twice, with great success both times.

1) I used a 30mg fluoxetine (Proazc) capsule, and low dose buprenorphine (Suboxone). The rationale being that the fluoxetine, with its huge half life, will take care of the SSRI withdrawal for the full acute phase of the tramadol withdrawal. The buprenorphine will take care of the opioid part. Now, I was successful, but even with this powerful combo, it still was tough (emotionally), as I really wanted my tramadol. The Proazc did help me avoid those zaps you get a day or so without tramadol though.

2) The most recent way was with an oxcarbamazepine regiment, and nothing else. I just substituted 600mg B.I.D., and had an easier time than above, surprisingly. Almost all my WD symptoms and cravings were gone. Generic Trileptal (OxCarb) can be had internationally from United Pharmacies, and is actually 250% cheaper than the retail price of generic at Costco! Trileptal is like Tegretol (Carbamazepine), but with an oxene @ 10 position. This greatly reduces some of the nasty hepatic side effect potential, and seems to enhance the effect of the drug for this specific purpose. Oxcarb isin’t a drug to be used trivially. Blood work monitoring is highly advisable, especially if you are otherwise ox/carbazepine naïve.

3) The best and simplest way is really a gradual taper. It just takes some organization and DISCIPLINE. Really, you will need to break your addiction anyway in order to enjoy the tramadol like you did in the early days (hours of motionless pleasure with your limbs feeling golden and a big grin on your face). Once you get hooked on tramadol, its not pretty, and it can kill you if you aren't careful!

Below are a couple of links, one referencing a study (which I used as the basis of my own regiment). Good luck, and please PM me if I can help with advice. Tramadol is one of the toughest drugs to get off entirely.

Wiki entry for oxcarbazepine
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxcarbazepine

[Rapid Inpatient Tramadol-Detoxification Using Oxcarbazepine.]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&uid=17987545&cmd=showdetailview&indexed=google

Ok, thanks a lot mates. I'll go cold turkey. Its funny when people say Tramadol its not strong... maybe im a super metabolizer of CYP2D6. Truth is I was taking 300-500mg Tramadol per day shooting Diazepam and sniffing Midazolam and was in heaven. But that made me - and its making me loss too many things that I think are more important. Thats the reason I want to end it, I feel with much willpower and had withdrawed from this 2 times (but only for 2 weeks once, and one week the other).

And the Diphenhydramine i was planning to take in order to fight against depression (I know Prozac came from Diphenhydramine) and survive the shaking/cold sweating that comes in the top hours of the detoxing.
The Loperamide will be to reduce dizziness and be able to work.
The benzos, to sleep. And I have some occasional AntiPsychotics like Ativan and Wellbutrin that makes me sleep NO MATTER WHAT in 15 minutes.

Hope I can do it with all that. Last time I think I went cold turkey I didnt have benzos... this time I think it should be less harder. Also I know what to expect.

Thanks again guys.

PD: I have no access to Suboxone nor Prozac, thats why im using Diphenhydramine a lot in this 'scheduling'. Also, I love how the drug makes the music sound, so that will help with the depression along with the little SSRI effect.

Last edited:
^ True, but diphen doesn't have any of the anti-depressant effects of prozac. Although I recall getting a mild mood lift from them back when I took them regularly.

The diphen should take care of the dizziness so theirs no need for loperamide. I don't think loperamide even does that. The diphen. should also take care of your insomnia. So i would just stick with the diphen. Using benzo's is just asking for another addiction.

and since when is wellbutrin an antipsychotic?! Ativan technically isn't one either, it even gives hallucinations...

delphinen said:
Ok, thanks a lot mates. I'll go cold turkey. Its funny when people say Tramadol its not strong... maybe im a super metabolizer of CYP2D6. Truth is I was taking 300-500mg Tramadol per day shooting Diazepam and sniffing Midazolam and was in heaven. But that made me - and its making me loss too many things that I think are more important. Thats the reason I want to end it, I feel with much willpower and had withdrawed from this 2 times (but only for 2 weeks once, and one week the other).

And the Diphenhydramine i was planning to take in order to fight against depression (I know Prozac came from Diphenhydramine) and survive the shaking/cold sweating that comes in the top hours of the detoxing.
The Loperamide will be to reduce dizziness and be able to work.
The benzos, to sleep. And I have some occasional AntiPsychotics like Ativan and Wellbutrin that makes me sleep NO MATTER WHAT in 15 minutes.

Hope I can do it with all that. Last time I think I went cold turkey I didnt have benzos... this time I think it should be less harder. Also I know what to expect.

Thanks again guys.

PD: I have no access to Suboxone nor Prozac, thats why im using Diphenhydramine a lot in this 'scheduling'. Also, I love how the drug makes the music sound, so that will help with the depression along with the little SSRI effect.

del, how 'bout the oxcarb I mentioned? It enabled instant cold turkey with essentially zero WD symptoms and cravings. Its a miracle.

there is no oxcarbamazepine on my country, but OTC Tramadol and Codeine =(

delphinen said:
there is no oxcarbamazepine on my country, but OTC Tramadol and Codeine =(

Right, you order it online. It is a very powerful tool for tramadol WD. I wish my best to you, and completely know where your coming from. Tramadol scares me as sometimes I will get a panic attack brought on by too much tramadol (and scary tachycardia effects). I really thought I was going to die on a number of occasions. How much do you pay over for your tramadol. I get generic, $6.50 for btl of 120, so its very reasonable.

Also, if your going to taper, I find the best way is to wait until you have some pain, then take as little as posible to feel normal again, and wait for pain again. There is real benefit to feeling some of the pain (especially if you want a rapid deetox), so this is like a taper/cold turkey hybrid which works great.

I took a hot bath immersion today, it really helps (someone said that earlier and I thought it wasnt helpful at all, I was wrong). That, along with IV/IM Diazepam, a single 50mg Diphenhydramine and like 10mg Clonazepam, its working for now, but I know the thing it just starting.

I am able to get a gram of Tramadol(50mg pills x 20) for $8 in US dollars, same for Carisoprodol (350mg pills x 18).
Benzos are cheap too, I can get generic tablets for a US dollar, but on that, I always buy Roche, so I pay a lot more, and get the whole box too, but I like to think im taking the best chemical made benzos.
I will *try* to get online, but it takes so much time to get thing here from online shops that I dont have much faith in that.

Thanks again.

Tsukasa said:
^
Do you get your tram prescribed?

What do you mean? Even when you buy it online it is prescribed. Do you really think an online outfit would offer it at this price? lol;) Yes, Rx'd through family physician. Filled at Costco or Target. Even cheaper would be if you could buy the API from China or Indja. But I bet even tho its not scheduled, you'd have men in suits knocking at your door.

hey delphinen,

have you done a withdrawal before? You can give me a nudge via PM if you need someone to cry and bitch about. I am familiar with withdrawals, and i found if you share your pain it's more bearable knowing that there is someone out there who can relate to the experience and maybe has some words that give you new hope. It can be pretty crushing.
Maybe you can PM me and give me more details on your habit and your daily intake and we work out a taper plan for you. Cold turkey would be a suicide misson. Imagine kicking Heroin and Prozac cold turkey at once.
Anyway, my ears are open and i am more than happy to help you out :)

// btw: can i ask you where your nickname comes from?

/// as far as ordering tramadol goes: i have ordered 100g of (1R,2R)-2-(dimethylaminomethyl)-1-(3-methoxyphenyl)-cyclohexanol online from a vendor for about 30$. The vendor closed about 4 years ago. what a petty :(

rave: those were very kind words from you, and I think its great that delphinen isin't going through this alone. great posts/thread everyone. bravo ! =)