• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Hello, new member checking in, as I am curious about Gabapentin...

Oicu

Greenlighter
I take Opioids for severe back pain, along with another dozen prescriptions. Two years ago, my pain doc added Gabapentin and a Fentanyl patch to my regimin. The dose level is 800mg four times a day for the Gabapentin. I didn't feel like it was doing much for me, so I stopped taking them. I continued the scripts, and now I have a good personal amount of the med sitting in my cabinet.

I found this site around a month ago, and have been trying to read as much as possible. Does anyone have some knowledge or insight on Gabapentin that they would like to share with me? Thank you in advance!

O
OoO

Edit: <the amount edited out, morph>

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with copious amounts sitting around, GP is best used PRN, or as needed, vs say 3x/day if symptoms aren't present. A tolerance will develop very quickly, diminishing it's effects in short order. If not using it for something like neuropathy, then reg use will render it very ineffective for the times you do need it.

Another benefit to taking breaks or sporadic use is preventing tolerance which turns in dependence. Some mock others who claim GP WD even exists, but too many people have had it happen for it to be a psychosomatic response or imagined.

I've personally been through it and it's very real, even though the severity can be different for some people. I had a scenario almost identical to yours where I stockpiled them, but even doctors weren't aware of discontinuation problems as Pfizer didn't mention it. It was only after a multitude of patients had problems that it became widely known.

Anyway I had nearly a 1,000- 800mg ones saved up too. I was using them at around 3,200mg a day after a month or two of working up to that level. They were helpful for anxiety, sleep, certain pain and for opioid WD. Thing is it never seemed like a good time to take a break. I continued to use them at varying levels as I had plenty but after a little over year I began to run low, then out. Considering WD reports were unknown by doctors and sometimes mocked on here I didn't put much stock in having to adjust without them.

It was 3+ weeks of hell just for the acute phase to pass and longer for the residual ones. You can now find several Gabapentin WD threads on here now and I would take heed in them. So take them as needed, just use caution about using for extended periods without breaks. There's amny threads on here too about staggering doses, not using any antacids before hand, and trying to keep use under a week ata time for max efficacy.

Even with copious amounts sitting around, GP is best used PRN, or as needed, vs say 3x/day if symptoms aren't present. A tolerance will develop very quickly, diminishing it's effects in short order. If not using it for something like neuropathy, then reg use will render it very ineffective for the times you do need it.

Another benefit to taking breaks or sporadic use is preventing tolerance which turns in dependence. Some mock others who claim GP WD even exists, but too many people have had it happen for it to be a psychosomatic response or imagined.

I've personally been through it and it's very real, even though the severity can be different for some people. I had a scenario almost identical to yours where I stockpiled them, but even doctors weren't aware of discontinuation problems as Pfizer didn't mention it. It was only after a multitude of patients had problems that it became widely known.

Anyway I had nearly a 1,000- 800mg ones saved up too. I was using them at around 3,200mg a day after a month or two of working up to that level. They were helpful for anxiety, sleep, certain pain and for opioid WD. Thing is it never seemed like a good time to take a break. I continued to use them at varying levels as I had plenty but after a little over year I began to run low, then out. Considering WD reports were unknown by doctors and sometimes mocked on here I didn't put much stock in having to adjust without them.

It was 3+ weeks of hell just for the acute phase to pass and longer for the residual ones. You can now find several Gabapentin WD threads on here now and I would take heed in them. So take them as needed, just use caution about using for extended periods without breaks. There's amny threads on here too about staggering doses, not using any antacids before hand, and trying to keep use under a week ata time for max efficacy.

Amen..!! Safely Dispose Of Them: Give them back to the drug store. or take back program near you.! Wish I would have never started taking Gabapentin.! Now they are just another drug that owns me..!

Wise words. I've only been on pregabalin rather than gabapentin, which is of course more potent, but as you say tolerance to any recreational effects develops very fast and dependence and withdrawal is very real. Worse than benzos or opiates imo.

As you've said, OP if you want to use those for the odd bit of fun, stick to using them prn i.e. not daily. Take some on the weekend then leave them alone for a few weeks. If you find yourself unable to do that, then get rid of them, because compulsive redosing will not lead anywhere good. If you take a high dose and just feel weird and dizzy rather than high, then stick to that same advice, chuck 'em. No good can come from trying them again and again to try and get high if your body just doesn't react that way to the drug.

Also, OP you are already on multiple opioids including fentanyl, so I'd be very careful taking a high dose of another downer. While it's true gabaergics are not as dangerous as benzo + opioid mixes, there is still a danger at hand when mixing any other downers with opioids especially potent as fuck ones like fentanyl.

Thank you three for such reasoned and cogent responses, I really do appreciate your efforts. I’ve only tried two 800’s together a few times, at the tail end of a fent patch. I was concerned about CNS effects, and the additive nature of both drugs in their role in depressing respiratory function.

Thanks also to the mod morph for the edit. The stupid newbie crap will stop, at least on my part. *<;o)

As Wilson said, you are already on substances that need monitoring by you and will cause dependance obviously.

The gabapentoids can be and have been a unique choice for both neuropathy to accompany normal Mu agonism, and also originally for seizures, epilepsy and convulsive cerebral issues. I genuinely believe they do have a firm place in clinical prescribing guidelines now, for anxieties of variable nature’s. It and it’s bigger brother PREGABALIN can be a life saver for many that respond. If you don’t I would scrap them, benzos May still hold the crippling withdrawal crown, but they come close second if not even worse for some.

Anything else needed, happy to help ?