• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Heirarchy of water for injection safety

I've shot up with puddle water and pond water before. :\
Not to mention coca cola a few times.

So glad I'm done with that shit...

Actually, fresh urine is sterile. Not that I'm recommending it. In any case, yeah, even pissy bog water is better than using a water source someone else might have used to shoot up with. Come on guys, be sensible, and we can beat the bug.

I've shot up with puddle water and pond water before. :\
Not to mention coca cola a few times.

So glad I'm done with that shit...

I know the feeling, hah. The shit you do when you're desperate.. it really is sick. It's such a relief to be out of that and not have to worry about the disastrous choices you end up making as an unfortunate part of the using lifestyle.

why not shoot up with alcohol? like Bacardi 151? clearly not a realistic option for most but it could work

I think we can mostly all admit to using toilet water in a jam to shoot up. ;-)

I've used water from the back of the toilet before... never the part people poop in 8( once I used my own spit, ended up with cotton fever. Luckily I've never been desperate enough to use someone else's shoot up water.. not going down that road ever.

Good HR thread, thanks very informative

Hey i remember this thread! i posted in it 4 years ago lol.
Damn, bringing back the memories when I was IV'ing..

I used to do this with my suboxone to make an injectable solution:

I used to buy sterile water, benzyl alcohol, and propylene glycol.
I'd take a 30ml vial, and micron filter the suboxone with a luer lock syringe with enough sterile water to fill it like 98% full and add 1% benzyl alcohol and a little propylene glycol (there was a percentage but its been so long i honestly don't remember). And cap it with a rubber stopper.

I'd keep it in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks. And shake vigorously before each use.
I had the whole process written in one of the old suboxone threads, i probly explained it better back then since i was doing it.

Basically, if you want a thing of IVable water to last a while, do what i did minus the suboxone part (unless your doing it with it, which im not suggesting anyone start).
I never had any problems with it. And is a lot cheaper to make your own than buy vials of it.

We had a list made up of places to buy all the supplies back then, i donno if that's still allowed. It is harm reduction stuff though.

Answer about Mainlining Alcohol and/or drugs dissolved in alcohol

SWIM actually has mainlined a few different kinds of alcohol like 151 and others (a white whiskey known as hopquila), both mixxed and straight up. It can help to a certain degree with things that are easiest dissolved in alcohol (if it's soluble in methanol it's usually soluble in alcohol, but not everything is, but SWIM found that certain plant based substances dissolve better in alcohol, THC is one), however some drugs are insoluble in water and You will end up with a clumpy, bumpy, slimey, muddy looking mess. Although the iv of alcohol straight into Your veins will IMMEDEATELY intoxicate You and can cause You SEVERE alcohol poisoning if attempted so the risk greatly outweighs the benefits. DO NOT INJECT ALCOHOL INTERVEINOUSLY FOR ANY REASON, IT IS INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS, AND MORONICALLY STUPID AS IT CAN CAUSE DEATH ALMOST IMMEDEATELY FROM RESPIRATORY DEPRESSION!!! Also, Your body cannot throw up any alcohol or have Your stomach pumped as there's nothing in Your stomach to pump or throw up and alcohol is exxcreted to a great extent through the lungs, so once slammed in there's no reversing it. Booze goes in Your mouth hole, don't try mainline things meant for other ROA's. As for tap water being cleaner; Tap water is just recycled water. Tons of people did thier business and flushed it down the nasty infected sewage system to a treatment plant that strains out the solids, called black water, and then mixxes the raw sewage with treatment chemicals much like the blue water You see in port-o-potties cuz that blue stuff dissolves waste and acts as a cleaning agent, then they pour a ton of chemicals in it, that's called grey water, it's then treated lightly a lil farther before piping it it into giant reservoirs and tanks for holding. These overtime build up lead, iron, cadmium, mercury, and other heavy metals that end up mixxing and building up inside the water, as well as water softeners and conditioner chemicals like bromine. Hot water from the tap is THE WORST as it has been proven to have increased levels of lead, copper, zinc, arsenic, and other heavy metals both from the pipes and having been held in a hot water tank. Furthermore, boiling water doesn't, won't, and can't remove highly toxxic impurities like heavy metals through boiling. If anything that'd actually mixx them in farther, melt them, and make em more bioavailable (able to enter the bloodstream, organs, tissues, and cross the blood/brain barrier), and boiling for anything less than 30mins won't sterilize the water and without using a helly mesh micron filter then You'd be banging a hefty concoction of recycled former waste (which also can back up into pipes), and heavy metals that are at what the federal government has deemed "healthy levels", which are of course aren't always compliant. Your body can handle most of it when imbibed by mouth but when mainlined it changes that greatly (and it's asinine to say that distilled water touches industrial parts so it's bad...how do You think a water treatment PLANT works? By hand? 1 million migrant workers with a noodle strainer and a bottle of Clorox, and an eye dropper? No, it's done by machines), spring water is safe to drink from the spring and obviously has to pass the FDA's zealous standards. Purified water is just that; purified. It's people that don't understand what reverse osmosis or an artisan well is that make ridiculous lists like this. You can reuse a bottle more than once. That dope You're injecting isn't exxactly cleared as safe by the FDA, it wasn't packaged wearing gloves, and quite possibly may've been smuggled up someone's ass or sewn up in thier bodies to pass through customs. So general common sense should prevail otherwise it's called Darwinism. Injecting on its own isn't the safest practice. There's ways to reduce the potential threats within Your power, but don't just listen to and believe some fool on the Internet, on some website dedicated to harm reduction, even Myself. Whose to say who's credible or not? Do the research thoroughly, cuz You never know which guy is just passing on "Junkie Lore" just to sound smart. But it's deffy a good place to start.

You can't mainline suboxone. At best It won't work/will have no effect due to the narcan (naloxone) in it. At worst it'll send you into full blown (precipitated) withdrawl if an addict due to the same (narcan/naloxone). Also, injecting propylene glycol will cause cardiac arrest. You got any stories that aren't completely full of shit? Or is that Your thing? Did you honestly think You could go on a website about drug harm reduction and nobody would see through Your bullshit? Get a life and stop being a poser...and why pose as a junkie? Trust Me, it's not a fun life as romanticized as tv and movies can make it look. "Just be yourself, it's all that you can do" - Audioslave

You can't mainline suboxone. At best It won't work/will have no effect due to the narcan (naloxone) in it. At worst it'll send you into full blown (precipitated) withdrawl if an addict due to the same (narcan/naloxone). Also, injecting propylene glycol will cause cardiac arrest. You got any stories that aren't completely full of shit? Or is that Your thing? Did you honestly think You could go on a website about drug harm reduction and nobody would see through Your bullshit? Get a life and stop being a poser...and why pose as a junkie? Trust Me, it's not a fun life as romanticized as tv and movies can make it look. "Just be yourself, it's all that you can do" - Audioslave

This is such misinformation it's scary. Yes--naloxone will put someone into withdrawal when injected if that person is on opiates. But in suboxone the naloxone is combined with buprenorphine. Buprenorphine has a stronger binding affinity than naloxone, so when the combination drug is injected the naloxone is basically rendered powerless and ineffective. The bupe binds to the receptors. (Of course, if there is any opiates attached they get kicked off leading to precipitated wd. But that is a whole other can of worms) So if a person is not on any opiate or is currently on bupe, injecting will simply allow them to use much less of the substance to get the same effect, although it wears off quicker. And FYI--when one does go into precip wd from taking suboxone while on an opiate it is the *buprenorphine* that causes it, as I explained above. The naloxone is basically inactive

The myth that naloxone will prevent IV use of suboxone was spread to market suboxone as a take home abuse proof medication (unlike methadone which must be dispensed at a clinic not pick up an prescription at the pharmacy). It's chemically impossible for the naloxone in the suboxone to put someone into precipitated withdrawal. This is also why using Narcan (naloxone) doesn't work on a person who has OD'ed on buprenorphine

Your view is understandable due to the marketing. But it's very wrong.

And your name calling is unnecessary. For the record, I have past usage of opiates, on and off over a 22 year period. I am assuredly not a "poser". I have had 9 years of clean time in the middle of that as well as currently being clean over a year and a half and living as what anyone would consider productively.

Last edited:

Listen "mother superior" you aren't helping anyone by coming on here and saying stupid shit like this. Have you ever even shot suboxone? It's not the naloxone that causes the precipitated WD anyway, it's the buprenorphine because it has a high affinity for opioid receptors.

I never knew that people actually used toilet water.. but the idea that sharing with other users is worse makes sense. The tap water where I live is chlorinated well water that has a lot of lime and crap in it so I normally use boiled distilled water, stored in a container that has been thoroughly bleached and rinsed. This may not be the best option but it's all I can do.

Plastic Sterile Water Tube things

w5zRSP.jpg

What about these? These little ampule-type sterile water tubes.
My local harm reduction group sends them out for heroin injection, which is funny because it says Sterile - Not for Injection...

1. Specifically, how long does the water stay sterile it's been opened? It comes with a break/twist off cap and you're able to squeeze drops out, and although the opening is small, the suction lets air back in, so would that lead to bacteria getting trapped in there and easily growing inside?

2. What if I froze it?

w5zRSP.jpg

What about these? These little ampule-type sterile water tubes.
My local harm reduction group sends them out for heroin injection, which is funny because it says Sterile - Not for Injection...

1. Specifically, how long does the water stay sterile it's been opened? It comes with a break/twist off cap and you're able to squeeze drops out, and although the opening is small, the suction lets air back in, so would that lead to bacteria getting trapped in there and easily growing inside?

2. What if I froze it?

yeah I seen these in Philly too. I didn't squeeze water out though I just put the needle into the tip and drew back

Im not sure about the bacteria creeping in though

I mostly used tap water tbh. And if it was a bathroom with a toilet and a urinal (aka, more than one person in there at once), Id usually just put some tap water in my mouth, walk over to the stall, and spit the water out into a cap

idk it sounded smooth at the time

^ Does the "Not For Injection" part have something to do with Tonicity or lacking the 0.9% Na-Cl ??

The same company makes a 0.9% saline tube (they're pink instead of blue). They also say not for injection; but for inhalation. I strongly suspect the hand of government-- if they wanted to claim it was safe for injection, it would probably be much more tightly regulated and much more expensive. On the other hand I don't recall the plain water saying "rx only" like these so who knows.

Regarding the original topic, I think it fails to convey important distinctions about some things.. Seems like the type of stuff that's led to many a repeat of "aren't you scared of catching hep n stuff?" "what from myself?" "yeah man"