• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids HEAVY Fent User...How Long Of a Withdrawal Am I looking at?

Grapejuice69

Greenlighter
Was intra-nasally using 250mg of Fent Powder a week for 5 months. No way to know the quality of the powder.

I'm about 7 days clean and I'm just looking for a general timeline of when I can get better?

Thanks so much.

The acute withdrawals should be over by now, but if your talking about PAWS it can take a while to get back to normal. What symptoms are you experiencing exactly?

The acute withdrawals should be over by now, but if your talking about PAWS it can take a while to get back to normal. What symptoms are you experiencing exactly?

If he was taking one of the longer half-life fentanyl analogues, he could still be in acute withdrawal.

I was using 250mg a WEEK.

I am on clonidine, gabapentin, trazodone, and klonopin (which I am trying to abstain from)

Very worried about getting dependent on Benzo's.

Withdrawal is still very real after 7 days clean, but I do feel slightly better today.

It was 250mg a week

Not sure why I was thinking it was per day. Still, at ~35 mg's per day, that is a pretty damn high dosage. I think it would be safe to assume that if it was actual fentanyl, it probably was cut with something to make dosing safer. In his post he stated that there's no way to know the purity. So, not knowing the purity and still not knowing whether it was fentanyl or an analogue...it makes it difficult to give the OP a timeline.

EDIT: Actual fentanyl has a very short half-life of usually 45 minutes. If you were using this at that high of a dosage, your withdrawal would have been spectacularly nasty during days 1 through 3 and then would most-likely start tapering off towards day 3. The fact that you say you are on day 7 and are still in acute withdrawal leads me to believe that you were not taking fentanyl and were taking either A) an analogue or B) some other opioid that whomever you got it from was calling fentanyl, which happens a lot more than people think. The fact that you are taking pretty much everything you can to help ease withdrawal, clonidine, gabapentin and a benzo and are still experiencing withdrawal that is "very real" on day 7 is odd.

My experience with actual fentanyl withdrawal was that it was fucking horrendous for a couple days and then I started getting better. With heroin, days 1-5 were horrible and then I started feeling better towards the end. For example, on day 5, I still might not be able to sleep, but I'd be able to sit still, my appetite would come back etc. By day 7, I could sleep, though definitely not for any extended period of time. With longer-acting opioids, suboxone/methadone, withdrawal wouldn't really kick in until about day 3 or 4 From there it would build. Days 7-14 would be the worst of it. Usually 3-4 weeks of withdrawal and then things would gradually get better.

Post-acute withdrawal is also a very real thing that at times, can feel like acute withdrawal. In my experience, PAW syndrome can last up to 18 months. Bottom line, opioid withdrawal is a bitch.

I should state that it's really hard to say how long withdrawal will last. It's hard enough to give a timeline if we know exactly what you were using, how much and for how long. With you, we don't know the purity of the product, nor do we know exactly what you were using so it's next to impossible to give a timeline. Hopefully, my experiences with different opioids can give you some idea of what to expect as far as how long you will be in W/D. You're a week in, good fucking job man! Keep going, it WILL get better :)

P.S. It takes a while to develop enough of a benzo habit to actually experience withdrawal. If you've only been using it for the last week or so, I wouldn't really worry about it. However, if you have been using high doses of it and keep on using it, you might be asking for some rebound anxiety and depending on your body chemistry, possible withdrawal. But, I've usually been OK to use benzo's for a week or so and be fine.

Last edited:
Yeah i had some supposed 99% pure fent, did a gram in 5 days so it was surely cut.

Yeah i had some supposed 99% pure fent, did a gram in 5 days so it was surely cut.

Yeah. It's almost physically impossible to do that much pure fentanyl. Unless you had a gigantic tolerance and used it round the clock. Look at it this way, 1 mg of pure fentanyl has the real potential to kill someone with a high opioid tolerance. There are just so many fentanyl analogues out there that unless you are able to get a sample tested, you really don't know what you have. Purity is a whole different thing. It would be crazy to actually get "99% pure fentanyl!" There are not that many people who have access to scales that can weigh in micrograms. Nor is the average opioid user able to do the math/chemistry correctly if they were to dilute it in nasal spray, for example. One decimal place off could easily result in death.

Not sure why I was thinking it was per day. Still, at ~35 mg's per day, that is a pretty damn high dosage. I think it would be safe to assume that if it was actual fentanyl, it probably was cut with something to make dosing safer. In his post he stated that there's no way to know the purity. So, not knowing the purity and still not knowing whether it was fentanyl or an analogue...it makes it difficult to give the OP a timeline.

EDIT: Actual fentanyl has a very short half-life or usually 45 minutes to an hour. If you were using this at that high of a dosage, your withdrawal would have been spectacularly nasty during days 1 through 3 and then would most-likely start tapering off towards day 3. The fact that you say you are on day 7 and are still in acute withdrawal leads me to believe that you were not taking fentanyl and were taking either A) an analogue or B) some other opioid that whomever you got it from was calling fentanyl, which happens a lot more than people think. The fact that you are taking pretty much everything you can to help ease withdrawal, clonidine, gaba and a benzo and are still experiencing withdrawal that is "very real" on day 7 is odd.

My experience with actual fentanyl withdrawal was that it was fucking horrendous for a couple days and then I started getting better. With heroin, days 1-5 were horrible and then I started feeling better towards the end. For example, on day 5, I still might not be able to sleep, but I'd be able to sit still, my appetite would come back etc. By day 7, I could sleep, though definitely not for any extended period of time. With longer-acting opioids, suboxone/methadone, withdrawal wouldn't really kick in until for about 3 or 4 days. From there it would build. Days 7-14 would be the worst of it. Usually 3-4 weeks of withdrawal and then things would gradually get better.

Post-acute withdrawal is also a very real thing that at times, can feel like acute withdrawal. In my experience, PAW syndrome can last up to 18 months. Bottom line, opioid withdrawal is a bitch.

I should state that it's really hard to say how long withdrawal will last. It's hard enough to give a timeline if we know exactly what you were using, how much and for how long. With you, we don't know the purity of the product, nor do we know exactly what you were using so it's next to impossible to give a timeline. Hopefully, my experiences with different opioids can give you some idea of what to expect as far as how long you will be in W/D. You're a week in, good fucking job man! Keep going, it WILL get better :)

P.S. It takes a while to develop enough of a benzo habit to actually experience withdrawal. If you've only been using it for the last week or so, I wouldn't really worry about it. However, if you have been using high doses of it and keep on using it, you might be asking for some rebound anxiety and depending on your body chemistry, possible withdrawal. But, I've usually been OK to use benzo's for a week or so and be fine.

Thanks so much, brother. I have a lot of things going on health/medication wise right now that might be the cause of the long withdrawal. I also just came of Zyprexa cold-turkey, so who knows what's causing what.

Oof! I've heard olanzapine withdrawal sucks. I've personally never had that prescribed, but I know from experience what it's like to come off of SSRI's and it is NOT fun. I cannot imagine going through both olanzapine and opioid withdrawal at the same time. Hang in there man. I'd recommend reading up on Zyprexa withdrawal so that you can educate yourself on what symptoms you can attribute to that vs. opioid withdrawal.

So, I just saw my doctor and I pissed clean for opiates!

The bad news was I was overestimating how much a few 2mg Xanax could do to your body!

He told me to take two 1mg Klonopin every day until I have about ten left (he prescribed 42) and then just cut them in half and take twice a day. Said I should feel zero Benzo withdrawal from this.

Last edited:
^2 weeks can be enough for rebound symptoms or in the worst case some withdrawal symptoms, but most people should be good
Imo 2 mg is a relatively high dose and you should imo just take them as needed

ANd acute withdrawal for short acting opioids like fentanyl should get better after a week

Just because you tested negative at your doctors office does not mean that you truly have no opioids in your system. It is completely dependent on what type of test that doctor gave you. If it was a standard 5-Panel drug test, you would not have tested positive even if you were still using fentanyl. If it was a GC/MS, it depends on what they tested for. If for example they were looking for fentanyl, depending on how thorough a test it was...if you were in fact using an analogue, you may have tested negative when in fact you might still have it in your system.

When you were using the fentanyl, how long did each dose last?

From your post it sounds as though meeting with the doctor was a positive step. I am happy for you! Sounds like you're feeling a little bit better and this is great :)

Just because you tested negative at your doctors office does not mean that you truly have no opioids in your system. It is completely dependent on what type of test that doctor gave you. If it was a standard 5-Panel drug test, you would not have tested positive even if you were still using fentanyl. If it was a GC/MS, it depends on what they tested for. If for example they were looking for fentanyl, depending on how thorough a test it was...if you were in fact using an analogue, you may have tested negative when in fact you might still have it in your system.

When you were using the fentanyl, how long did each dose last?

From your post it sounds as though meeting with the doctor was a positive step. I am happy for you! Sounds like you're feeling a little bit better and this is great :)

It was a 12 panel test. I wasn't feeling any better day by day so I ended up taking my Zyprexa and most of my sides have subsided, but I still feel like shit. It'll probably get better when my brain gets stabilized on the Zyprexa and gets over whatever opiate withdrawal I still have.

As far as OTC

Immodium, Nyquil, emetrol. The severe parts usually are the 3rd and 4th day. However the symptoms after can last as long as a few months depending on tolerance

An SSRI can help with the awful droneing depression afterwards

I have 12 days clean from opitates. Still going through withdrawal, but have pissed clean for opiates. I'm taking some naltrexone today to see how I feel because I have a Vivitrol shot scheduled for tomorrow.

Pray for me.

Can I still be going through opiate withdrawal despite not reacting negatively to Naltrexone?

Benzo's are the only other habit forming drugs I have been using, but not like crazy and not for a long duration.