• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

'Have an awesome night' - AFP...?

my personal conspiracy theory is that they know that once they start telling the truth, they'll have to start legalising, and that the pharmacutical companies will become too powerful. don't ask who 'they' are...

Over the time that you've been into this righteous path, dosen't it disturb you that opinions don't seem to be changing all that much, and in-fact the conservatism of peoples opinions are seemingly becoming more solidified?

To a degree it does, but when compared to the general ignorance of legislators back in the 80's and earlier, and the accompanying penalties for drug possession of that time, in many ways society has come a long way. Besides the court diversion system, we now also recognise there are safer approaches to drug use, even if, for many, the actual act of taking a drug is still viewed as criminal or even immoral.

We do have more people willing to stick their necks out for truth, although, of course, they often don't get the recognition they deserve. That will probably also change as the number increases.

I believe that although years away -maybe decades- something will eventually change in regards to the legislative approach we see today. This may come about due to a major change in drug trends, which by it's nature will make any legislative approach ineffective at best. If such a thing does occur - resulting from changes in drug manufacturing trends, or even if the drugs or drug forms change - I think the legislators themselves will eventually begin to seriously examine why so much is being poured into enforcement while drug use continues to increase and drugs become even easier to obtain.

Doesn't this pahmphlet just prove that governmental Orgns are more interested in focing their desired path by producing information simmilar to a 21st centuries version of "reefer madness"?

Some government organisations. But I feel confident that eventually the real facts and figures will be represented by the most credible departments and institutions. It's happening already, and it's this that makes the incorrect information in publications like this pamphlet stand out i.e. in places, it's out of step with the multitude of other info - from more trusted sources perhaps. People pick up on it, they spread the word, and ultimately the said organisation losses much of it's target audience. What's the old saying? you can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people, all of the time.

Just asking cause I don't know If when I get to your level of experience I'd be able to produce one iota of positivism on such issues..
Man, I hope that in my time I'll see some change in these attitudes that cause me to be viewed as a criminal/druggie.. Every time a "new" pamphlet like this is created by an institution that the general voting public take their ques from I become a little bit more bitter and cynical towards the idea that some sort of change may actually be attainable..

You have to be an optimist. I certainly don't believe that a free for all world - where everyone took drugs - would be at all desirable. I've said many times that we need to reduce drug use, but that this would best be achieved through a more balanced approach than we see at present. Still, repeating what I said earlier, compared to the 80's when harm reduction was an unknown term, we have indeed come along way.

phase_dancer said:
To a degree it does, but when compared to the general ignorance of legislators back in the 80's and earlier, and the accompanying penalties for drug possession of that time, in many ways society has come a long way. Besides the court diversion system, we now also recognise there are safer approaches to drug use, even if, for many, the actual act of taking a drug is still viewed as criminal or even immoral.

That's a good way of putting it. I guess with more (*ahem* ;)) "life experience" as measured in years, you have a better perspective of relative change over a longer period of time, as opposed to many of us who probably weren't anywhere near a drug in the 1980's.

My whole drug taking life hasn't even reached five years, so to me the progress I've seen in that time doesn't inspire much optimism about the potential for change. Had I been paying attention to the issue for the last twenty-five years I might be a bit more positive.

It probably doesn't help that the last five (ten?) years in Aus politics in general has exhibited a trend towards conservatism, even in the young; take the Young Liberals as you mentioned elsewhere. Nothing more disheartening than listening to the so-called "leaders of tomorrow" regurgitate the failed ideas of their parents generation; like prohibition.

Seriously, take the time to read something like the NSW Young Liberals policy paper on drugs, which calls for support of the "Tough On Drugs" campaign and opposes heroin injecting rooms.

It's fucking gold :\

Like this...

Australia can ill afford to be soft on the issue of drugs. There is a clear case that the Federal governments Tough on Drugs strategy has proven to be successful. The white flag laissez fare mentality which suggests that the problem is beyond control and which suggests that government intervention is ineffective are clearly wrong.

or this...

We have been treating drug users as social guinea pigs. This is the first step on a slippery slope towards the broader legalization of drugs. We must not give in to the soft and reckless approach that will not only ensure the drug problem escalates in Australia but will institutionalize it for years to come.

:|

Suddenly the idea of walking into Channel Nine with an AK-47 and taking Ray Martin hostage doesn't seem so ridiculous. ;)

To
a degree it does, but when compared to the general ignorance of legislators back in the 80's and earlier, and the accompanying penalties for drug possession of that time, in many ways society has come a long way. Besides the court diversion system, we now also recognise there are safer approaches to drug use, even if, for many, the actual act of taking a drug is still viewed as criminal or even immoral.

We do have more people willing to stick their necks out for truth, although, of course, they often don't get the recognition they deserve. That will probably also change as the number increases.

I believe that although years away -maybe decades- something will eventually change in regards to the legislative approach we see today. This may come about due to a major change in drug trends, which by it's nature will make any legislative approach ineffective at best. If such a thing does occur - resulting from changes in drug manufacturing trends, or even if the drugs or drug forms change - I think the legislators themselves will eventually begin to seriously examine why so much is being poured into enforcement while drug use continues to increase and drugs become even easier to obtain.

You make some good points. I guess we have come a long way from the "just say NO" bullshit from the Ragan era..=D
Still, fear still seems to be the driving force behind much of drug legislation.. just take the SA mp who said we should all go to raves instead of the pub.. the conservative media destroyed her so much that the Democrats leader for SA quit! Drugs is still one of those dead lock issues that the media and politicians can count on to get a strong public response... and its always outrage!

You have to be an optimist. I certainly don't believe that a free for all world - where everyone took drugs - would be at all desirable. I've said many times that we need to reduce drug use, but that this would best be achieved through a more balanced approach than we see at present. Still, repeating what I said earlier, compared to the 80's when harm reduction was an unknown term, we have indeed come along way.

I guess we have and thats a cause for optimsim %) I'm just so sick of the same old bullshit being swallowed whole by the general public, it definatly feels like a long up hill struggle.:\

It probably doesn't help that the last five (ten?) years in Aus politics in general has exhibited a trend towards conservatism, even in the young; take the Young Liberals as you mentioned elsewhere. Nothing more disheartening than listening to the so-called "leaders of tomorrow" regurgitate the failed ideas of their parents generation; like prohibition.

The young liberal drug policy is priceless! "A tough stance WORKS"! Who the fuck are they trying to convince! Any moron who can look at drug trend statistics over the past 50yrs can see a steady increase.. and how many years have Aus/US/UN had tough drug policies? Have they worked? Fuck NO!:p
Regurgitating the failed ideas of their parents generations is right! these little bastards wouldn't know an original idea if it was reight infront of them! Compassion and real understanding must be words that these suckers don't know the meaning of... I'm definitely gonna take out my rage at them at Uni next time they try to get me to join their cult! :X