• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Has anyone tried a specific, simple classical conditioning experiment to quit?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I know it sounds too simple, but these techniques (in reverse) are some of the most powerful tools in psychology.

For example, what if you procure a bottle of syrup of Ipecac (makes you puke profusely) and force yourself to take a sip whenever you shoot up or succumb to a craving? Now obviously the hardest part would be actually following through with it in the first place, as I can't imagine most people would knowingly waste their money and ruin their buzz. Maybe it would work better if a friend did it. It can of course be ANY unpleasant stimulus. As long as you can come up with a really good method to convince your brain to expect pain/discomfort when you come into contact with the drug, it can do wonders in making you averse to it and possibly more so than any other technique.

The way I see it, drugs such as heroin are so hard to quit because no matter what method you choose, you will always want it in the back of your mind; crave it while going through your detox routine, etc. If there can be a way to really and truly fix things in any way possible such that you truly and honestly do NOT want the drug or at least become indifferent to it, that may just be your best shot. The mind is extremely powerful after all. Just think - most of us here have had one or 2 experiences with a drug we absolutely hated for whatever reason. After one or two attempts with the same result, how often do you crave that substance now? It could have been that way with your drug of choice as well - you just started telling yourself that you liked it and that you wanted to get it. Combined with its pleasant effect (to you) and these factors, I can see what a powerful hold any substance can have on the mind.

That said, think about how psychologists treat phobias - some of the most crippling mental disorders that exist. The very best treatment for a particular phobia is to very slowly introduce it, a tiny bit at first and then more and more until you can handle the full concept/situation without any fear or disruption to your life. Would doing the very opposite in the context of drugs not work just as well?

Again - I know my above example is pretty silly in that very few would actually have the determination to intentionally harsh their buzz and throw money down the toilet. I just meant it to be a very general example of the method I have in mind. There are literally hundreds of ways that either you or a close friend or family member can very slowly and gradually condition you to take your particular problem drug down from its pedestal. It seems this would be a superior method for maintenance as well. Many people manage to successfully quit for the long term, yet must always deal with a ghost of a craving and the potential for relapse just out of sight. If you successfully are able to rewire your mind like above, this would likely not happen or at least be greatly attenuated.

Some of what you are saying is going to be standard protocol in future addiction treatments. It may be 10 or so years down the road
unfortunately for it to be widespread. The very same neuroscientists that once prescribed to the disease model are now saying that its the wrong
and dangerous approach. For example telling people that they are powerless time bombs that are ready to blow any second into relapse. Im sure for
some it does seem that way, but the brain has much more plasticity than we once thought just a few years ago. I don't think you quite summed it up,
but your on that wavelength.

the thing is, as long as there's some way to take the drug without incurring the negative stimulus you'll seek it out.

people have toyed with the idea of e.g. combining salvinorin with opioid narcotics as a deterrent of abuse. or another one was capsacin in morphine tablets (crush them and you're gonna be eating pepper spray). but i think they were discontinued/not introduced because it just makes people even more desperate.

see also, people abused drugs like phenazocine (kappa agonist) or opioids plus scopolamine even despite the supposed negative effects. thats addiction for you.