• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Has anyone had success using pot to help with heroin w/d?

If you dont smoke often and arent used to a cannabis high, i can imagine it would be a terrible experience. Some have anxiety issues when they smoke. On the other hand, it should help to get your mind off of the rattle, maybe zone out on a video game or movie for a bit....

How exactly would you say pot helps you then? For me, it may minorly help my stomach issues, but it doesn't do anything to take away the pain, shivering, watery eyes, yawning, sneezing, depression, etc. The only thing I think it's good for in WD is combining with immodium to help stop the constant shitting and puking. I actually think it makes the restless legs worse, which is the worst symptom of WD in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure cannabis does directly affect opiate receptors too. The wikipedia page for MU Agonist, and Delta Agonists have both THC, and CBD listed as full agonists.

It seems to help with the cold feeling I hate so much and the restless legs. Also takes away the nausea for a short while. But doesn't help for long or is anything like a miracle it still is very rough to go through.

If pot was a full opiate agonist then I think it would help the withdrawals a lot more then it does.

You gotta SMOKE to get as High as Possible and NON-STOP because the Body pains come back from withdrawal hours later when cannabis wears off and it helps with Nausea or Stomach Pain and some mental Symptoms but like it has been said it takes the Edge off but if I had to say what is the best cOMFORT aid it would be Cannabis and second Benzos. Yeah the Fact Cannabis SLIGHTLY Releases Endorphins somehow Natural or something could Relate to Why it Helps the Most I Heard Low-Dose DXM and Immodium loperamide Helps but I never had as much luck with them vs. Pot and Benzos.

When I quit using opiates, cannabis greatly helped me with many of the symptoms induced by withdrawal. My mood improved slightly, I could finally eat solid food, it alleviated some of the aches and pains, and it aided the symptoms of restless leg syndrome I experienced. It did not help me with anxiety though. Anxiety always was a problem sober and became exacerbated while in opiate w/d. Cannabis actually increased my anxiety and induced racing thoughts, which were very uncomfortable symptoms to deal with while w/ding. On the whole it improved my state somewhat, but cannabis was not a magic bullet and increased the severity of some negative symptoms.

if weed was a full agonist wouldn't it cause psychical dependence? A lot of the rc cannabinoids a full agons right? people were reporting psychical dependence

It seems to help with the cold feeling I hate so much and the restless legs. Also takes away the nausea for a short while. But doesn't help for long or is anything like a miracle it still is very rough to go through.

If pot was a full opiate agonist then I think it would help the withdrawals a lot more then it does.
meant to quote you

Cannabis is not a full agonist at mu, that's nonsense :\. When people refer to RC cannabinoids as full agonists they are saying they're full agonists at cannabinoid target sites. Cannabis may have minor mu activity, but it's most certainly not a full agonist like oxycodone or anything or heroin. IIRC cannabis modulates both mu and delta simultaneously and indirectly, but doesn't agonize mu to any appreciable extent.

Last edited:
Cannabis is not a full agonist at mu, that's rediculous :\
I didn't mean real flowers I know there only partial I was talking about the rc cannabinoids. what I was trying to say if buds were full agons wouldn't it be physically dependent then or am I wrong

Sorry I should've clarified, only the second sentence in my post was directed at you :) As for your question, are you asking if cannabis was a full agonist at mu wouldn't it be responsible for causing dependence? Or if it was a full agonist at CB receptors? Either way some would argue cannabis does carry a mild withdrawal when abused heavily. I certainly get sweaty, restless, and unable to sleep for about a week after quitting heavy daily use.

With that said, if cannabis were a mu agonist to any significant extent, and most certainly if it were a full agonist, we would have an unfathomable amount of potheads filling up rehabilitation centers throughout the world, and opioid addicts would find total relief of withdrawal symptoms upon ingestion of cannabis.

Last edited:
Haha actually the second sentence was, indirectly I guess, but just an answer to one of your questions as I was skimming the thread.

Cannabis is not a full agonist at mu, that's nonsense :\. When people refer to RC cannabinoids as full agonists they are saying they're full agonists at cannabinoid target sites. Cannabis may have minor mu activity, but it's most certainly not a full agonist like oxycodone or anything or heroin. IIRC cannabis modulates both mu and delta simultaneously and indirectly, but doesn't agonize mu to any appreciable extent.

Cannabis is definitely a full agonist at MU, Delta, and Kappa sites. It even has this on wikipedia, and the DF index. Maybe it may mean that it modulates MU, however it must be close enough to a full agonist, or why else would it be listed this way from different reputable sources? Kratom is a full agonist at mu, takes a looong time of multiple times per day, daily use to build physical dependence, and has a ceiling effect the same way weed does. Does this mean kratom is now no longer a full agonist? Weed is definitely a full agonist, it just has a ceiling effect the same way kratom does.

Yeah, because we all know how credible Wikipedia is lol. By "df Index" do you mean the drugs-forum wiki page on cannabis? Read that in full and there was no such mention of mu activity whatsoever. Dig me up a solid, credible source that says cannabis is a full agonist at mu... you won't, I've already tried.

Another thing to keep in mind, just because it took you a long time and multiple doses per day to induce kratom dependence, that doesn't mean that's how it is for everyone. Kratom has the potential to build dependence just as quick as other opioids, perhaps a tad bit slower. It took me 3 weeks at one 5g dose a day, and this is with no history of dependence to opioids whatsoever.

After two weeks of once daily use, my girlfriend went through 5 days of rebound, again no prior history of opioid abuse. Yes, 7-HO mitragynine is a full agonist, but it's present in rather small amounts making mitragynine (a partial agonist) mostly responsible for kratom's effects.

If you'd like I can find a couple more studies following suit...

Cannabidiol is an allosteric modulator at mu- and delta-opioid receptors

The present study shows that cannabidiol is an allosteric modulator at mu and delta opioid receptors. This property is shared by THC but not by rimonabant.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00210-006-0033-x

Last edited:
I agree the evidence does not support weed being a full opiate agonist. Just because wiki lists it as one does not mean that weed is a full on agonist. Weed would be a hell of a lot better for withdrawal symptoms if it were but it just isn't one. The two receptors the drugs work on are closely related but only to a certain extent.

^
Very true! Doesn't weed have it's own receptors? cb1 cb2 or something like that? Weed is not meant for opiate withdrawal. It might help but could make it worse ime/o.
It could help with appetite… .When I was in delirium and seeing monsters coming off heroin, weed definitely would NOT be the way to go! :)

Yea weed has its own cannabinoid receptors CB1 CB2. Ha yea I bet but not everyone is like that for me weed was usually all I had to look forward to while in opiate withdrawal.

Yea weed has its own cannabinoid receptors CB1 CB2. Ha yea I bet but not everyone is like that for me weed was usually all I had to look forward to while in opiate withdrawal.

Hmm, yeah - If I didn't have clonidine/lyrica I might have got some weed from my roommate… For me it would depend on what stage of acute withdrawal I was in. Maybe at night if I had nuthin else. :)

Hmm, yeah - If I didn't have clonidine/lyrica I might have got some weed from my roommate… For me it would depend on what stage of acute withdrawal I was in. Maybe at night if I had nuthin else. :)

It really depends how weed affects you. I find it intensifies all my withdrawal symptoms, except my stomach cramps/shits. It does seem to help reset my bowels, but lope is just as good for that. For me, I get paranoid as it is, even when I'm not dopesick, so combining weed anxiety with WD anxiety is a killer for me. It also intensifies my restless legs, the chills I get, and my lower back pain. And I used to smoke about an ounce and a half of MMJ a week before I got into opiates, so I don't know why it doesn't work.

In short -- not really.

Sativa strains can help with boredom/depression but that's about it.
It can be okay for sleep Iif you have a low pot tolerance.

As an opiate addict it doesn't do jack shit for the pain.

Better to get some passion flower, lemon balm, DXM, benadryl, Tylenol, and take that. Or mix that with pot if you want to get the most of it.

What I used to do is get pot and dope to save money, since smoking a bit of pot with opiates will allow you to take less opiates and get similar effects. Obly works if you don't go overboard with the we weed and fuck your tolerance.