• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Has anyone had success using pot to help with heroin w/d?

What I used to do is get pot and dope to save money, since smoking a bit of pot with opiates will allow you to take less opiates and get similar effects. Obly works if you don't go overboard with the we weed and fuck your tolerance.

Definitely, usually my standard dose to get off on opiates is 12 grams kratom and 60 mg oxycodone. That's just to feel euphoria, if I want to nod its going to take at least 80mg of oxy.

I find if I take 8 grams of kratom, and 40 mg of oxycodone, then smoke a bowl, then a cigarette right after, im in nod city. There are actually studies showing that weed increases opiate induced analgesia by up to 600%.

I do feel that weed kind of overpowers the opiate euphoria if you smoke too much, or have a low tolerance. In the same way that 2 beers will increase opiate euphoria, but any more will overpower it, weed is the same way.

So strange how opioids by far give the best high of any class of drug, but are also overpowered by seemingly weaker drugs.

In short -- not really.

Sativa strains can help with boredom/depression but that's about it.
It can be okay for sleep Iif you have a low pot tolerance.

As an opiate addict it doesn't do jack shit for the pain.

Better to get some passion flower, lemon balm, DXM, benadryl, Tylenol, and take that. Or mix that with pot if you want to get the most of it.

What I used to do is get pot and dope to save money, since smoking a bit of pot with opiates will allow you to take less opiates and get similar effects. Obly works if you don't go overboard with the we weed and fuck your tolerance.
I find all the first gen antihistamines make rls even worse and so do quite a few other people

It really depends how weed affects you. I find it intensifies all my withdrawal symptoms, except my stomach cramps/shits. It does seem to help reset my bowels, but lope is just as good for that. For me, I get paranoid as it is, even when I'm not dopesick, so combining weed anxiety with WD anxiety is a killer for me. It also intensifies my restless legs, the chills I get, and my lower back pain. And I used to smoke about an ounce and a half of MMJ a week before I got into opiates, so I don't know why it doesn't work.

I get paranoid too, especially if I have to be at work and I'm in withdrawals hallucinating. I generally would say it's not a good idea, but for some I suppose it helps somewhat.. I used to smoke pot it in college a lot.

I don't find it particularly useful for dealing with acute withdrawals; there are far better things and plenty of threads dedicated to them.

However - I used to be a heavy pot smoker as a teen / young adult and then gave it up for the best part of the last decade. However, I've recently started smoking again, as a means to stay off the dope.. Like I say, I don't think it's going to help much with WDs, however - it's a big help (for me) in terms of staying clean..

When I start getting the psychological urge to use now, I just smoke a small joint and it takes my mind off - plus, at this stage with the pot it still has a great enough effect on me that the last thing I want to be doing is leaving my house to go on a shitty mission to score.

So, I would recommend smoking a bit of pot whenever you are really craving the gear, it's been working for me.

^ I agree 100% with the above comment. there have been many times when i really really wanted to use dope, but i just smoked some pot instead. it was weird the pot just made me think like "what the fuck am i doing with my life by using heroin". i havent smoked pot in over a year and and dont plan on ever using it again because for me the use of ANY mind altering substance, in time, leads me back to heroin. but pot does help with cravings...

as for withdrawals, pot did absolutely nothing for me. maybe if u smoked a massive amount it mite help, but when i tried it during w/ds it actualy made the rls WORSE

I agree with both of you. I had cut back on opiates a lot before finally quitting so my withdrawals weren't horrible, but weed helped me stay clean whereas I would usually give up after 3-5 days.

First it gave me a very introspective high where I was ashamed of what I had become due to my drug use, so that motivated me to quit. After that whenever I would smoke I couldn't even begin to think about sticking a needle in my arm.

I will however warn you that a few times I would get an uncomfortable high from it where I wanted opiates to make me feel alright again, so be careful of that.

I find all the first gen antihistamines make rls even worse and so do quite a few other people

Yea, that's what most people say on here.

I think weed works well for the ones who don´t ever go crazy or paranoid like I do. Like acid, weed only works if I´m well and peace minded. No worries and specially not looking forward to work or any activity whatsoever.
Even if it´s only few hours away.
There´s something about weed that makes me worry too much about problems that I normally handle well sober.
I guess the sativa cannabis enhances the body feelings more than our minds. Even though weed is not my thing.
I would not mind if I couldn´t use it anymore. Not at all.

when i used to smoke a lot of weed, weed did not really help with WD that much. i just kept thinking about how much i wanted some suboxone or something.

ugh, i wish get thhe high i used to get from weed, currently i can only go 1 week without using opioids, and then when i do use i am like FUCKKK why did i even get high, i feel like shit from this dope anyways...

i have tried to smoke weed recently and every time i get too anxious and pensive. i just cant even enjoy the high, it is just like idk... i used to LOVE weed. maybe it is because i am on probation? but i have been on probation for over a year and i have never even been drug tested once. so idk... its funny because im likke every time i smoke i think i dont even like drugs and i dont want to go back to smoking weed and using drugs. but then when i use heroin or opiates i get high and feel good then i think the same thing and vouch to put the shit down..

/endramble

I wonder if opiates receptors really causes this. I remember I used to like weed.
Now it´s a nightmare.

Didn't help me at all I love to sleep and time n benzos the most n kratom

I think the answer is going to vary depending on who is answering the question. It's really up to individual preference. If you enjoy the effects of cannabis it may help take your mind off the WDs and could even alleviate some of the more minor symptoms.

Personally, I hate smoking pot. Heavy stimulant use forever changed how pot effects me and once I found opiates I never wanted anything other than my DOC and the two drugs I enjoyed with it. While kicking, weed just made me feel irritable.

But I know people who just smoked a lot of weed during their detox and did fine without buprenorphine/methadone or benzos. Everyone is different. I don't see any harm in trying it out and seeing if it works for you. Best of luck getting off the dope.

Last edited:
Im at the point where I cant get anymore money to keep feeding my dope addiction, but I could afford a bag of pot, I do have a pot connection, but havent used it for many years, A few yrs back when going thru methadone w/ds once, I tried smoking a J, I cant really recall if it helped or not, but I do remember it made me VERY paranoid, I kept hiding the bag in different spots in the house, cuz for some reason, I was overly worried about the cops searching my house..LOL even though I had never even had any interaction with cops, and absolutely NO reason to be so worried, strange how certain drugs can effect you!!

I know pot relieves aches and pains, but I dont think it relieves them as much as heroin, plus, I dont know if it takes w/ds away or not.

Anyone know about this?

You need an Indica dominant or pure strain...no Mexican or Jamaican brick. THC will make you reeeeeally paranoid during withdrawals, CBD is another of the goodies in herb. CBD modulates THC and takes the paranoia and anxiety away. It also is just as important for medical benefits if not more. Indica tends to have less THC (good stuff say 12-14% vs. 20-22% in Sativa, the other kind). It makes up for it in CBD though...many sativa's have .3 or .4% CBD and India have 1 or 1.2%. 1.6% and 16% THC is primo. You need a REAL hook-up though, not some guy selling flat brick-weed wafers. Most is a hybrid, but you can get 90/10 hybrids of Indica (or Sativa). You also want frosty bud where the "crystals" (trichomes is the proper name) are milky white-ish and not clear. You need a light and magnifying glass (jewelers glass is best) to really see. It DID help a lot with my taper off 90 mg. DXM 90 mg 12 hr formula 2x a day will also help, and a few loperamide. It's not gonna make everything better, but helps a tooooooooooooon. DXM and 3-5 loperamide help also. Lastly. Kratom. If someone were to PM me to chat who knows if a source of non-crap m. speciosa would slip. Depending on habit, you might need enriched blends (can easily feel like 3g enriched is like 20 or 6g like 40mg hydrocodone for example, lasts 5-6 hours, never waste time or money on headshop). Is this not being able to acquire whatever substance you're withdrawing from, or to quit? I would give kratom a shot, as a ridiculous opiate opioid addict, I used it to taper my last and final time (out of 100 or so at least 48-72 hr. in withdrawals). No desire to increase amount or keep taking kratom. I found the indica more habitual (though still nothing compared to other things).

Last edited:
As already said, withdrawals don't do anything to relieve the hell of withdrawal. Back when I was using only kratom and or hydrocodone, it may have helped a little bit more than placebo, but for both oxy and heroin withdrawal, I believe pot actually makes the WD worse. Coming off dope, I get terrible terrible anxiety, which pot always makes worse no matter the strain. It also makes me get down on myself, as i get caught in my head thinking about the WD and the wasted parts of my life. It doesn't really help with analgesia, or really anything. The most it will do is get your mind wandering, so you may forget about WD for a few minutes... til the diarrea and restless legs kick in again.

As others have said though, pot is great for staying off the hard stuff. Ive been using only kratom and pot as of late. Whenever I get a strong craving to go cold cop some dope (which is usually once a day), i'll smoke a j, and for some reason it scratches the itch. Pot does indeed modulate your MU, Kappa, and Delta opioid receptors, so I believe this may have something to do with why it scratches the itch.

I'm curious as to why a negative allosteric modulator (thc and cbd are both NAMs for μ and d receptors) would dampen W/Ds instead of just making them worse. I would expect a PAM (like benzos for GABAa) would help, and I'm curious to learn more about endogenous μ agonists like endorphin. What is there natural concentration and are they significantly affected by NAMs? Does negative allosteric modulation reverse tolerance in the way that some inverse agonists do?

I mean, shouldn't a NAM make wds worse by reducing the impact of μ agonists? I believe cannabidiol increases dramatically (and THC moderately) the potency of naltrexone and reduces the time it takes for vivitrol to dissociate agonists. Even worse, I believe both prevent agonists from binding if the chemicals are attached to the allosteric site at a high concentration. But again, I've no idea what effect an allosteric modulator would have without a ligand attached to an orthosteric receptor, nor do I know how endogenous ligands act naturally...

Still, If pot helps with wds physiologically (which I doubt), my guess would be that it does so by acting directly and indirectly in the CNS. THC reduces cAMP and there is evidence that it binds to GABAa, but not the benzos site, and acts as a PAM there. Both of those actions should theoretically reduce anxiety and act as CNS depressants. My real theory would be that the relief is psychological. Pot can be anxiogenic or anxiolytic, so I'd say it depends in which of those effects you get from it.

Absolutely I have. I'm on day 8 and I got shatter and kush this week instead of my usual bit of raw. I still feel like shit though, I think exercise, hydration, healthy eating and sleep are all going to be more important. I haven't been able to take care of myself yet to the point that I'm worried I'm going to have back pain just from laying down so long. I'm going two more weeks and then having someone hold onto my percs for when I actually need them and I better be happy with just those because it escalated really fast until I'm fucked now... this is the 8th day I haven't been able to accomplish a single thing.

I mean to say, it started escalating really fast after a number of years. Not at first, or I probably would have stopped. It's a lot tougher to stop now. It takes a while to get a serious habit and my withdrawal from first 2 years of using are just nothing looking back, I felt better then on day 1 than I do now on day 8.

I find it helps with the muscle aches, sleeping, and extreme anxiety, nausea, depression a little too. Also, herb is generally better for mellowing me out if I start to panic. Shatter is better for depression. There have been times where I have been so restless and miserable but weed has been enough of a distraction to see me through. I also like that I enjoy fiending shatter... I don't really plan on ever stopping at this point because every time I do I end up fucking with opiates a lot worse. Weed helps me view those low dose opiates as what they are... mild pain relievers for my chronic pain that along with shatter, really shouldn't be complaining but the pain is severe.

It definitely helps with eating as well and after smoking some find bowls of kind bud and laying down, my muscles will typically stop feeling like they are on fire so much.