• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Has anyone ever tried barbiturates?

Momogiancana

Greenlighter
I’d love to try them but they’re impossible to come by. They’re not even prescribed anymore

I can ask a couple of people that I know to give me some to let my drug addict friend try it.

"barbiturates" correct? Is it an upper or a downer?

what mainstream drugs does it come close to meth or morphine

and Ill get back to you with the results in like 2 days from now (if it's not against the rules )

I've tried high doses of butalbital (fioricet) to investigate the high of barbiturates. I got called out at work once for looking drunk. I was slurring words like crazy and making over exaggerated movements with my hands and arms like I was super drunk. I don't recommend taking that many fioricets though because it has lots of acetaminophen in it.

I've tried pentobarbital sodium (by drinking the stuff they kill dogs with -- i was a vet tech years ago and the bottle was expired so i took it home). Don't remember much beyond a nasty hangover. I've had phenobarbital many many times too, I used to get giant bottles dirt cheap. It was cheap for a reason. Horrible stuff. Also fooled around with etaqualone, which isn't a barb but it certainly acts like one. I took too much once and woke up days later in an ICU with a breathing tube down my throat.

Anything beyond say phenobarbital and butalbital is rarely dispensed these days. There once a drug called "desbutal" that was a compounded medication containing 5mg of methamphetamine and something like 20mg of pentobarbital. A one to one ratio would have been more fun though, since if you took 5 you'd only have 25mg of meth and 100mg of pentobarbital, and low doses of meth aren't very stimulating at all really.

In fact here's an extemporaneous limerick on the subject:

There once was a drug called desbutal,
It felt like cocaine and alcohol,
If you just took a few,
And put on your shoes,
They'd arrest you in front of a shopping mall.

I've also tried butalbital (fioricet) and it's not my type of drug really. It's fun when it first kicks in, although it's mixed with caffeine which detracts from the relaxation. The problem with it though is that it builds up in your system and the sedation lasts way longer than the euphoric buzz (which is only mildly euphoric to begin with) so if you take more or even take them on consecutive days, you end up just feeling sedated and lethargic for a quite a long time which is not pleasant (at least not to me).

I remember having to drive a ways the day after taking them to sell a bunch of N64 games because I was broke and had no money and wanted to buy food and heroin and I was nervous about my ability to drive even 24 hours after taking them, although I drove ok.

Of course I've heard other barbituates are a lot better, but they would have to be A LOT better and different in order for me to want to take them. As far as downers go I would much rather take GHB, kava, or even phenibut over those things.

When I was a teenager I really liked mixing butalbital with oxycontin. Probably not a great idea though in retrospect.

Apparently secobarbital was the really good one, everyone I have heard talk about it who's had it seems to remember it with love. From what I understand, phenobarbital sucks. Butalbital seems to be shitty too, I've had low doses of it a few times but didn't find it anything worth writing home about.

All antibiotics have washed barbiturates extract! we call it ''delicate science''

I did phenobarbital before I got into dope and it still wasn’t anything special, I know my brother had a bottle of like 15 pills that he never touched and I did it once and never touched them again, the pills are prolly still sitting in cabinate somewhere

I tried quaaludes once, ordered them from south africa. can't remember if thats considered it a barbiturate, but I found it totally underwhelming and just like any other downer. But I also had high expectations after a wolf on wallstreet :ROFLMAO:

Also remember barbituates were replaced by benzos for a reason, they're fucking dangerous. I remember in school they used to give us those scare lectures on barbiturate's, even at 14 I knew that it was completely irrelevant because barbiturates were all but extinct at that point.

I tried quaaludes once, ordered them from south africa. can't remember if thats considered it a barbituate, but I found it totally underwhelming and just like any other downer.
Quaalude is considered a "non-barbiturate" which means that it's not structurally a barbiturate yet shares a similar mechanism of action. It's kind of like comparing z drugs with benzos. They bind to the same receptor site yet are distinct in their chemical structure.

I've tried etaqualone a few times. I've always been super curious about clomethiazole which is another non barbiturate that I have had a source for. It killed Keith Moon. If the source holds up I plan to try clomethiazole one day. The site has been offering clomethiazole for years at this point I just keep not ordering it.

Barbiturates were the standard "downer" when I was growing up. Secobarbital (reds as they were known) and amobarbital were the main ones and Tuinal that was a mix of both of those. The last I even saw them was 1982 when my family owned a gas station these two brothers came pulling in and had a flat but no money but had just lifted many drugs from a pharmacy. We fixed the flat and gave a tank full of gas for seconal and tuinals. They had a briefcase full. Before that they were prescribed to my neighbors mother by her pharmacist father. They were all over and yeah valium was starting to replace a lot of those prescriptions. I admit we did not drink when taking barbiturates but when benzos replaced them we had to use alcohol to at least try and get them to work the same but never did.

Funny how barbiturates are being remembered. I think for me that I can not get etizolam pills from India anymore had me remembering the good downers of the past.

Phenobarbitol seemed to be like a benzo in that you could not feel anything but were tranqualized. And butalbital does still float around but is no way the same as secobarbital or the others. I h ad an epileptic friend who's doc put him on phenobarb for siezures (crazy huh? frigging docs)

Qualuudes kicked and I never heard them called underwhelming. lol One of those had me stumbling around and happy for a few hours. The old Rorer or Lemon 714's.

I have to say the current downers being benzos and z drugs, although people are not choking on their vomit, also don't work as well for straight up sleep.

Yeah, but only pentobarbital. Huge disappoint, tbh. It's only barbiturate I've come across. Would love to try some others though.

Since I am a little older than most of you whippersnappers I came across several varieties in the 70's and early 80's. My grandmother had a script for several and I pinched them here and there. I knocked myself clean the fuck out a couple of times and it scared me bad. Wasn't like copping an oxy or a vicodin or even a benzo. She had all of it. I could function and laugh and get silly on those but barbs put me down even at the recommended dosage. Those things didn't play nice and I can understand why they stopped prescribing. Guess they were great if insomniacs took one and went right to bed. Accidental overdoses were common.

Yeah had Secobarbital (secanol) way back...

...I'd blacked out completely unused to downers and had helped myself to a 'friends' stash

I 'slept' for over 50 hours and my 'friend' did at least check that I was alive every few hours apparently, as well as giving me the occasional slapping and pouring water on my head in an attempt to awaken

I’d love to try them but they’re impossible to come by. They’re not even prescribed anymore
I've only ever tried Phenobarbital: which seemed to last a long time! Much prefer Benzos tbh - which are also much safer.

Quite a few famous/well know people died of accidental Barbiturate overdoses over the years.. Judy Garland, Marilyn Monroe, 'Red' Ellen Wilkinson etc etc..

I've been prescribed phenobarbital a couple of times. Back where I am from the hospitals are good at giving you the stuff. The first time I took it, I thought it was going to be like Xanax. Well, it wasn't. It kind of reminds me of seroqul. There really isn't any euphoria. For me, it just made me feel like 'bleh'.

Phenobarbital is the weakest one. It's literally the chlordiazepoxide (librium) of barbiturates and is even prescribed for alcohol withdrawal like librium is.

The only time I was prescribed phenobarbital was in rehab coming off alcohol. Of course I have never had it in high doses like I have butalbital so it's hard to compare.

10-12x fioricet pills is on a whole other level compared to 1x phenobarbital.

In general I think barbs are like benzos though and feel more similar to one another at relevant dosages than they feel different.

Edit
What I meant by that last sentence was that all benzos feel similar if you dose them equivalently. I suspect barbs are this way too.

Last edited: