• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Has anyone ever died from a very minimal benzo/opiate combo?

Ringo88

Bluelighter
I take 10mg of Valium every day. Down from 30mg a year and a half ago. I'm trying to get off it, but as you can see, it's taking me a long time. I take 5mg in the morning, and 5mg at night. I am prescribed it, and realize that I am physically dependent on it.

Sometimes, I like to take Codeine or Hydrocodone, for purely recreational purposes. The most I take at one time is 60mg Codeine, or 5-10mg Hydrocodone.

Sometimes, when I take the opiate, I will have a sort of panic reaction. I'll think that I'm not breathing right, or that I'm going to stop breathing. Most of the time, it's blissful.

I have asthma. I sometimes have to use my inhaler, not as much as when I was younger though.

Taking all this into account, could combining a small dose of codeine or hydrocodone during the day, keeping in mind that I take Valium, actually kill me?

Could a dose this small actually cause my heart to stop, or me to stop breathing?

I want to be safe, and that's why I've also included the fact that I have asthma.

If I take these exact doses, do I have anything to worry about? I don't drink alcohol.

It's very interesting to me what would constitute an overdose. I feel sad for everyone who has passed away from this combo, so I want to respect it, and I want to get the best information I can from everyone here. Thanks guys.

I highly doubt it. You are tolerant to the benzos, so it's not adding much CNS depression. You will be perfectly fine. If anything you're psyching yourself out with the breathing, though asthma probably doesn't help.

I too am prescribed diazepam, 15mg daily, and I mess with opiates from time to time, mostly heroin.

mixing small amounts of valium and hydrocodone seems to be okay. Mixing things like hydromorphone/fentanyl/u47700 w/ benzos would be a different story.

Don't throw alcohol or ghb into either of those mixes btw.

Thanks Hatrix and Detroit, I appreciate the replies. I of course want to be safe, and all of this is very interesting to me. Hatrix, that is one drug I've always wanted to try. Pretty much the only one I haven't. I think I'd be too scared though, with my panic tendencies. Have you ever felt close to overdose doing heroin on your Valium? More replies are welcome!

Thanks Hatrix and Detroit, I appreciate the replies. I of course want to be safe, and all of this is very interesting to me. Hatrix, that is one drug I've always wanted to try. Pretty much the only one I haven't. I think I'd be too scared though, with my panic tendencies. Have you ever felt close to overdose doing heroin on your Valium? More replies are welcome!

I have ODed on a couple seperate occasions, and whether or not diazepam being in my blood (i don' take it WITH my heroin, I don't like the combination) caused me to OD, I'm not sure... I would say now that I think about it, it probably attributed to the respiratory depression.

But we are talking doses where I'm nodding out pretty hard. So it's more understandable that I did OD.

Benzos dull opiate euphoria for me, so I don't like to combine. I'd say you stay away from heroin then, it's not something to be toyed with, that's for sure. I have some right now, and I'm taking it slow as always because of my past issues.

Just don't take any stronger opiates with it and you should be fine. As for the asthma, if you feel like you aren't breathing right keep your inhaler nearby just in case. Panic attacks and asthma can be a sucky thing to have to deal with at the same time.. Sounds like you have anxiety issues anyway so the breathing problem may be all in your head.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Hatrix, yeah, I won't mess with H. Just stick to what I know. I just dosed another 60mg of Codeine, on top of the 60mg I took about an hour and a half ago. This is the max I will go, considering it is roughly 10mg Hydrocodone. Gonna take a break for a few weeks before I do it again. Coming up right now, feelin great :)

Yeah Peach, I keep my inhaler by me so I'm good there. I'm almost positive my breathing thing is anxiety, it's just something so deep rooted that I believe something is wrong with me. Thanks guys! Time to play some video games after a long day of work, and enjoy this codeine buzz.

I think in moderation you will be totally fine. 10 - 20mg valium and 240mg Codeine has never gave me any issues, although I would never recommend this.

Hatrix is right about Benzos dulling the euphoric high from Opiates. So it's probably best to not mix them at all.

As some one else mentioned, one of the riskiest, and most commonly abused, combinations is alcohol+opiod+benzo. I'm guilty of it, did it SO many times, and almost died from it a few times. In the worst instance, my girlfriend found me turning blue from a few big doses of oxycodone, a good amount of booze, and a small dose of xanax and called the paramedics. If you've never OD'd, trust me, you don't want to, as it's one of the most humiliating, degrading, and also terrifying experiences you'll ever encounter.

I know that most drug addicts are poly drug users - I am - but the danger increases exponentially when you mix sedatives, and in my opinion, especially alcohol.

As some one else mentioned, one of the riskiest, and most commonly abused, combinations is alcohol+opiod+benzo. I'm guilty of it, did it SO many times, and almost died from it a few times. In the worst instance, my girlfriend found me turning blue from a few big doses of oxycodone, a good amount of booze, and a small dose of xanax and called the paramedics. If you've never OD'd, trust me, you don't want to, as it's one of the most humiliating, degrading, and also terrifying experiences you'll ever encounter.

I know that most drug addicts are poly drug users - I am - but the danger increases exponentially when you mix sedatives, and in my opinion, especially alcohol.

OD or Grand Mal seizures are enough to scare anyone straight. Truly awful, eye opening events.

Sadly, for some it's still not enough (myself included).

Indeed.

OD or Grand Mal seizures are enough to scare anyone straight. Truly awful, eye opening events.

Sadly, for some it's still not enough (myself included).

Nicely put!

Everyone is different and this is not something completely safe to do as there is a very thin line between recreational and abuse.

Overdosing from mixing medication happens all the time and a great number of them are merely accidental.

Heath Ledger!

He'd taken multiple benzos and painkillers in small enough doses for the OD to be considered 'accidental' - it was the combination/potentiation of the drug mix combined with a respiratory infection that caused him to stop breathing.

I got the breathing scare on heroin and oxy before, it's all mental don't worry. And because of you dependence don't worry about benzo/opiate combo unless you over do it a lot. I've taken massive amounts of xanax, alcohol, and oxycodone and blacked out, then still woke up just okay. Obviously be careful, don't be stupid, but at a normal dose (if your health is in check) you should be just fine.

Also not recommending the above mixture, that's incredibly dangerous!! I'm just saying it's not a guaranteed death like many will try and scare you into believing; but its not something to fuck with at all.

This is purely MY own experience, definitely not something you can rely on since I'm not as knowledgeable as many BL'ers.

I've been on benzos for some years but only use them maybe 1-2x per week. Typically I would take 1mg of Clonazepam and 0.8mg of Xanax. Recently I got hold off some Oxycodone. I had the same worries as you, OP, but quite a few times I've taken 0.8mg-1.2mg of Xanax (I probably have a bit of a tolerance though) with up to 30mg Oxycodone (no opiate tolerance). I've been totally fine and haven't noticed any change in breathing, etc. I should add that I've been doing decent amounts of coke along with the Oxy and the Xanax.

Please err on the side of caution though.

This depends on your tolerance.

Since you are benzo tolerant, a few hydros shouldn't hurt you. Now if you start banging black tar, or doing some extreme shit, or large amounts, yes, you can die very fast, but popping even 5 hydros on top of a couple of valiums isn't going to kill you. You might get sick...

Thanks everyone for all of your replies, I greatly appreciate it. I won't be doing anything stronger than hydrocodone, not even Oxy. Also, I plan on only doing this maybe once every few weeks or month. Definitely don't want to develop an opiate addiction or tolerance. It's nice being able to feel the same effects every time I take it. Also, because of the constipation it can cause, that alone deters me away from more frequent use! :) Once again, I appreciate all of your replies. The harm reduction posts on this site are great, glad I found this place.

^ If you are constipated on opioids try lactulose. I take another laxative called lubiprostone which is marketed for opioid-induced constipation as well as lactulose and it allows me to take a nice soft shit once a day.

If you are dependent on benzos like me and you want to take a large dose of opiates but you are having trouble gauging your tolerance since you don't have enough opiates to take one dose, see how it affects you, take a higher dose increment and so on until you get to your sweet spot, should you not take your usual benzo and risk going into minor benzo withdrawal, or should you take your normal dose? What's the most sensible thing to do? I take a smaller dose but even that I worry could contribute to an OD one day.