Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Harm Reduction Professions

somekindagenius

Bluelighter
Hi, im someway through a b.sci and still havent picked a major (considering community pharmacy/Pharmacology) of late I have become VERY interested in Harm Reduction of illegal narcotics. I would like to steer my degree in that path but im very unsure of what to major in (if science at all?) after being a long time reader of these forums im convinced that at least a few of you are from some sort of health background. Also any info/literature or groups i can volunteer in would be much appreciated (pm's fine). It's just not the sorta thing i want to go and discuss with my professor's when im taking toxicology classes and doing lab work if you get my drift..... Here's to harm reduction and making educated choices.
*Edit* - I'm from Qld, Brisvegas area

Last edited:
It's just not the sorta thing i want to go and discuss with my professor's when im taking toxicology classes and doing lab work if you get my drift

You might be surprised to learn that many science teachers would understand your interest in wishing to pursue harm reduction related employment. At least that is what I've found. I've done a chem major with biomed electives including forensics and pharmacology & toxicology, but I also strayed off course for a bit to include a couple of relevant health oriented subjects.

Over the past 5 years I have been quite involved in HR work, and have found on the whole that my subject choices were beneficial towards this. If you feel a lecturer isn't approachable on this matter, then speak to a course advisor. They are required to be flexible, understanding and accommodating, aren't they? ;) Good luck, and remember, you can always change you major down the line if you so desire.

***after being a long time reader of these forums im convinced that at least a few of you are from some sort of health background***
It was actually you i was thinking had that kind of background =) But is HR a viable career choice in australia? i mean we obviously aren't spending nearly enough $ on it or otherwise i wouldn't be slightly apprehensive about going to course advisors saying "I wanna learn about drugs and stuff" (well not quite in those words). I was just kinda wondering if I take the science approach and not the psych/social approach if i could still work at "coalface" (to use such a cliche) of HR. I'm a qualified disp. tech which has lead me back to uni but it seems there is this "Junkie Scum" mentality running rife through the health sector =/. Iwould like the oppurtunity to change that mindset but i don't think community pharmacy is they way to do it so i was kinda curious to the professions that would let me, yet still have face to face clients and not be drafting policies etc etc . I guess your chem/biomed majors shows that there is the option to enter that way.
thanks for the consitently informative and unlike mine, concise posts (but being a science student im sure you understand we aint so good with the words.)
Off to see the course advisor
:D

i double majored in Sociology, Media and Cultural Studies, and now im doing my Honours in Cultural Studies . . .

my contribution to harm reduction is a bit broader, as i have no background in medicine or health sciences . . . im approaching the issue from an eduction policy perspective, and i am using the example of party drugs to approach broader issues of social control and politics (but i guess that will come later if i do PhD and/or Masters) . . .

so, i guess what im saying is that to work in this filed you have a few options: you can approach it from a health sciences point of view, or you can work in research and policy . . . thats what i hope to do anyway . . .

theres another guy somewhere in Aus Drug Discussion whos started a website devoted to students articles on harm minimisations and other such debates . . . ive told him im keen to contribute, so if you are too, let me know and i'll track down his screen name . . .

found him in the "National Drugs Campaign - Youth television commercials" thread: his name is frankenberry_bishop . . . send him a pm and jump on board . . .

You could do worse than getting in touch with QADREC
www.sph.uq.edu.au/qadrec/

or even NDARC (if you want to move to NSW):
http://ndarc.med.unsw.edu.au/ndarc.nsf

for some academic-type career paths. I've got a BSc myself, and I've been working in harm reduction for the last 6 years - but not at an academic level. Always good to get some more clued-up researchers though! :)

^^ Maybe i should after tonights miserable defeat in Origin =)
Thanks again. Crow very keen to contribute will pm at once.
...and again thanks qadrec is associated with my tertiary institution will go and see them as well..
Thanks guys looking foward to gleaing more of your knowledge:D

Last edited:
ayjay could you possibly pm me about "not academic options"? would like to be involved b4 i finally get my deg.