• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Happiness Syndrome - a serious mental disorder

What stifles the will for varied experience, or even instills fear of such? And what force of mass coercion builds such a strong belief that behaving in such a manner is good for your soul?

I've often hypothesized about such things, but seldom come up with anything I've felt like posting on a bulletin board, because most people take it as a personal attack... :)

Providing no-one is adversely affected, I guess continuing happiness and management equates to personal success, no matter how it's achieved and maintained.

As far as fear is concerned, and the associations I may have made; you are totally correct apollo. There are no answers to those enormous questions, and any attempt would naturally result in someone feeling out of place.

But it makes you wonder sometimes how degree of risk is assessed, How does fear of employment reprisal, outweigh fear of participation in dangerous sports or recreational pastimes? That's beyond survival instinct, it's a product completely borne of modern society IMO.

re: conformity disorder
It is known that people en-masse react like a giant primitive singular organism.

1 person = single individual
100 people = single individual

Happiness Syndrome to me just seems like a stupid by-product of a society that wants to believe it has everything figured out. A label to categorize and file every human response or emotion.

I still don't trust so-called 'experts' in the field of physchology simply because it is such a liquid field. An expert in physics for example can make correct assumptions because his science is based on proven rules and facts.

Phychologists on the other hand are making assumptions based on theory-widely believed as fact and elaborate guesswork.

Hope this made sense I just got up and I am groggy.

Schizomanic: "absurd thoughts of grandeur" isn't the actual criteria for mania, which is why I said it wasn't quite the same. "Absurd" would be a subjective opinion, whereas "grandiose delusion" is able to be assessed more objectively.

There are other criteria that need to be met before mania is diagnosed. By aligning "happiness" with "mania" this webpage diminshes the seriousness of actual mania, and I would hate for anyone to think that mania is just a case of being really happy. Mania can cause people (both the sufferer and their family) a great deal of distress, due to uncharacteristic behaviour like excessive spending, inppropriate sexual behaviour, irritability and so on.

Anyhow, for anyone who is interested, the actual criteria for mania: Manic Episode

I know what mania is and i've read the dsm iV criteria more than not so many times, and I know it's more than just being happy (although you did the right thing in posting alink since others may not)but I just think that it's basically the same disorder since there is no such thing as Happiness Disorder and the criteria are almost identical.

Mania

Criteria for Manic Episode
(cautionary statement)
A. A distinct period of abnormally and persistently elevated, expansive, or irritable mood, lasting at least 1 week (or any duration if hospitalization is necessary).

B. During the period of mood disturbance, three (or more) of the following symptoms have persisted (four if the mood is only irritable) and have been present to a significant degree:

(1) inflated self-esteem or grandiosity
(2) decreased need for sleep (e.g., feels rested after only 3 hours of sleep)
(3) more talkative than usual or pressure to keep talking
(4) flight of ideas or subjective experience that thoughts are racing
(5) distractibility (i.e., attention too easily drawn to unimportant or irrelevant external stimuli)
(6) increase in goal-directed activity (either socially, at work or school, or sexually) or psychomotor agitation
(7) excessive involvement in pleasurable activities that have a high potential for painful consequences (e.g., engaging in unrestrained buying sprees, sexual indiscretions, or foolish business investments)

C. The symptoms do not meet criteria for a Mixed Episode.

D. The mood disturbance is sufficiently severe to cause marked impairment in occupational functioning or in usual social activities or relationships with others, or to necessitate hospitalization to prevent harm to self or others, or there are psychotic features.

E. The symptoms are not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, a medication, or other treatment) or a general medical condition (e.g., hyperthyroidism).
Note: Manic-like episodes that are clearly caused by somatic antidepressant treatment (e.g., medication, electroconvulsive therapy, light therapy) should not count toward a diagnosis of Bipolar I Disorder.

This is taken from the above link. To me it seems like the Happiness Syndrome and the Manic Depressive Disorder are one and the same.

Apollo: I noticed you called me Runner2. I'm one and the same except the Runner account got corrupted during an earlier system upgrade.

I'm not like them
But I can pretend
The sun is gone
But I have a light
The day is done
But I'm having fun
I think I'm dumb
or maybe just happy

kurdt '93

Shnouzerpuff said:
Happiness Syndrome to me just seems like a stupid by-product of a society that wants to believe it has everything figured out.

Farkin word!

Runner - I must have absentmindedly put the 2 on, I know who ya are :)

either i'm stupid and dont realise everyone else realises, or everyone else doesnt realise.....

that sites a pisstake for sure.

meh to HD and for me feeling dumb8) :\

^^^ Let me be the first to admit I actually didn't and I don't think anyone else did since this sparked a lot of discussion :) On second closer look the site is a Boston Uni student's site. The Happiness Syndrome is obviously a piss take of either the bi-polar disorder, or more likelly just having a good time wheather on drugs or not.

phew, i dont feel so stupid now.

but its a good site.....u could say it reflects many parallels in society today...;)