View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Lysergamides Hallucinating insects and demonic faces on LSD

firdous e bareen

Bluelighter
In my most recent acid trip, at some points there were hallucinations of demonic/gargoyle faces structured in a kaleidoscopic, geometric pattern. I often see 'faces' in clouds and creased patterns during my trips. They tend to integrate with the geometric, fractal and kaleidoscopic visuals I get. This doesn't necessarily mean I'm having a bad trip. The trip was very deep and insightful, full of realisations, new perspectives and hilarious times with my friends I was tripping with.

However, when I told a friend "Oh the geometric demonic faces are back again" he wondered whether I was seeing them as demonic because they were reflecting something negative about how I was feeling. This isn't necessarily the case, as my mood was quite good. But it did make me question that visual aspect of many of my trips. Could these demonic looking faces really reflect something dark about myself? Has anyone else experienced these kinds of faces, without necessarily having a bad trip?

Also during the trip, we we made a fire. Now when it started burning, my friend said "I wonder if you can see any of the insects crawling about". Now I don't know whether this triggered it or not, but I could suddenly see life all over the mud near the fire. There were tadpoles, frogs, toads, spiders and insects. When the fire had gone out and the embers were still glowing, it looked like worms were dripping and ants were crawling all over the embers. They actually looked like real ants, not like images of them. I could also see bees in the embers, which now looked like a bee hive. The clarity of these hallucinations started to throw me off guard. Now I could see spiders and other insects on the floor. I was able to turn moments panic into calm by accepting what was happening and forcing a positive outlook on the situation. "Why should this make me feel bad?" I thought to myself.

However, has anyone else hallucinated insects etc. while tripping? Or know anyone who has? And do you think these hallucinations indicate a bad trip? Could they be reflections of something dark or unaddressed in myself?

Any input would be welcomed. I can't help but think that even though the trip was entertaining, hilarious and thought provoking and constructive, that these types of hallucination could be projections of negative parts of myself. But I don't know what those parts of myself could be. I just came out of the trip with the impression that if you see negative images such as demonic faces and insects crawling about that this must mean you had a bad trip.

Why are you viewing the insect thing as negative? It's just wildlife sounds like a pretty normal acid type visual. I've had similar things. The demon thing maybe is bad but like you said you kept your head cool it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

i've seen insectiod mantis and wolf like creatures that walked upright and had octopus tentacles coming out of them that fused with my body,, there was about 5 of these creatures and they had a "middle eastern" vibe about them. this was on dmt though

How can it be a bad trip if you're not having a bad time? Just go with the flow. :) I don't normally hallucinate insects much, though I did once get these cute rainbow slugs on LSD.... I also once smoked a lot of weed on the come down from MDMA in my room in the dark and I saw this snake coil out of the ceiling and come right up to my face.... It hissed at me, then exploded into spiders crawling all over me. Nothing bad trip-y about it, it made for an interesting experience.

Both these types of hallucinations are common occurences with psychedelics and I've had them PLENTY of times regardless of the substance (gargoyle faces in tiles and asphalt and joints that I'm rolling turn into a catepillar are some examples. As for the demonic/standard human face visuals, The human mind is trained in facial recognition and I believe it has nothing to do with what problems are going on inside you. I think it's just your mind going haywire trying to figure out what the fuck is going on and your mind happens to process this visual input into facial recognition but this is nothing more than a wild guess. Like you, these types of visuals can happento me on the best of trips and I find the visuals rather amusing.

I think your just overthinking things and trying to draw correlations to things that are unexplainable as we simply don't know what the psychedelic experience is besides magical (or a nightmare if you've been an asshole lol). I do wonder though why the insect hallucinations are a common occurence with all hallucinogens and even delerium. I've had hallucinations of spiders and such on psychosis doses of adderal and FRIGHTENING tarantula hallucinations on DPH, maybe our bodies are still in the mentality that we still have to fend off insects in the wild and the facial recognition stems from having to recognize members of our own tribes in the past? Who knows...

I really appreciate the feedback guys. Thank you :) I always tend to find the demonic faces amusing and just expect them to be part of the experience. With the insects, however, it felt like I had to gather the mental strength to accept them, which I found to be a positive experience in itself. You're right, I'm probably just over-thinking...as usual lol.

Yeah I feel ya on the insect hallucinations, these can be a bit unnerving in the wrong environment. I truely do wonder why insects/bugs/spiders are a common theme amongst any type of hallucinogen and even delerium, there's gotta be some sort of reason right?

^^ The reasons you suggested before seems totally plausible to me, and it always what I've just assumed.... Remnants of natural selection. Primal instincts kicking in, probably related to how major fear centers in the brain (like the amygdala) are also involved in hallucinations. The thing is too that insects and spiders and stuff are of course just something that every human everywhere has to face, and generally has the same kind of emotion towards.... Something I'm really curious in is would I still hallucinate insects if I had never seen them before?

I've never seen insects but I often see demonic faces and all manner of twisted dark shit when I meditate. I never see stuff like that on psychedelics though. But all of it is just a manifestation of your subconscious and do not believe you should be freaked out by stuff like that. Your subconscious uses symbols and metephors as it's language so a bad dream or a disturbing vision or freaky thoughts shouldn't freak you out. It's when you take that stuff the wrong way that bad trips start. I just try to accept what I'm being shown see it as a very non-literal message from my subconscious for me to try to decode upon greater reflection. I think it's pretty normal to happen sometimes.

'Demonic' may not be the right word for how they look actually. It's annoying, I seem them often when tripping, but can't really draw what the faces look like. It would be better to describe them as distorted, grinning, shocked, constantly shifting and re-arranging themselves.

I always question why I see them and no-one else does. For example, my first acid trip was nightmarish and involved lots of distorted, mocking cartoon faces. I don't know if this one trip has therefore spilled into all my other trips or if I would see faces anyway. As I said, I've grown to accept them and they don't necessarily reflect how I feel at the time.

I had spiders coming out of my dick on AL-LAD.. I think what made me see that was my gross bush, I havent had shaved in months.

I've seen "demonic" faces on acid + DMT...I'm not religious so I have no reason to view "demonic" as bad, if anything it's just like a more primal/animalistic version of humans, more connected to nature, what's wrong with that? I remember I'd be looking at my friend after smoking the DMT & I'd close my eyes and the shape of his face would morph & grow horns, consistently. I thought it was pretty cool...I still haven't managed to attain breakthrough (seems to happen to a lot of us who are more "controlling" of our minds in general- and I've been smoking at least 100mg, up to 300mgs- guess it'll happen when it happens though), but the image I kept seeing was similar to pictures I've seen of entities encountered during breakthroughs (though not as complex, and just an image nothing I could interact with). Never had hallucinations of insects though, beyond seeing something out of the corner of my eye as a spider for like half a second then realizing it's just a ball of fluff or cobwebs or some shit...

^^ The reasons you suggested before seems totally plausible to me, and it always what I've just assumed.... Remnants of natural selection. Primal instincts kicking in, probably related to how major fear centers in the brain (like the amygdala) are also involved in hallucinations. The thing is too that insects and spiders and stuff are of course just something that every human everywhere has to face, and generally has the same kind of emotion towards.... Something I'm really curious in is would I still hallucinate insects if I had never seen them before?

Yeah the primal instincts theory is the best explanation I could think of but I could be totally wrong, in the.end.though I doubt we would have hallucinations of insects had they not existed at all but it would be even more interesting if this wasn't true.

not a bad trip at all
and more so not necessarily even symbolic -- that issue is overblown too often and taken to mean something pathological - which it usually is not.

all of the projected hallucinations are associative by products of mind in this enriched more resonant state.
that does mean they can be prompted by suggestion, and since they are associatively prompted they have the character of (associative) memory, so if you ever did see ants, then you will be able to see them just as clearly etc.

Yeah the primal instincts theory is the best explanation I could think of but I could be totally wrong, in the.end.though I doubt we would have hallucinations of insects had they not existed at all but it would be even more interesting if this wasn't true.

Well, I was just saying what I had personally never seen insects before heh. I certainly wouldn't expect us to hallucinate insects if they didn't exist, it surely wouldn't seem likely anyway... but if you tested it on just one person, it would definitely give some insight into just how hardwired into our brains it is.

I gotcha but if a person has never seen an insect before it would in a way be akin to them never existing (for them). It would be an interesting experiment but way too variable as not everyone gets these visuals and said person wouldn't know what to look for.

Plus has anyone alive never seen an insect? They're the planet's most successful animals.

I see them now on lysergics. I only thought it was tryptamines that the devil creatures emerged to make what felt like entity contact one was a more cartoony hallucination though first time playing Guild Wars 2 in 3D but the game was minimized or closed the thing should not have been on/in the screen won't describe all contacts or seeings rather but recently a couple nights ago on eth lad I saw the most horrible beast like devil creature you could imagine very faintly next to me in bed could not see it entirely.