• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Half-Life of Noribogaine

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25279818 Says 28-49 hours, but that is when noribogaine is administered directly. This reflects the "plasma half-life" of noribogaine, but not when it is stored in the liver & fatty tissues, as is the case when ibogaine is administered and the body converts it to noribogaine.

Any ideas on how long noribogaine stays in the body when Iboga or ibogaine is ingested in the traditional manner? I've heard 1-2 months, but I am failing to find studies supporting this claim. Thanks.

I don't think there would be any difference in terms of storage of noribogaine in fat -- that would happen regardless of the source of the noribogaine.

The difference would be that with noribogaine as a metabolite, it isn't given as a bolus dose, but rather is continually formed in the body as long as ibogaine is present.

The 1-2 month figure might be the amount of time noribogaine is estimated to persist in the brain. The thinking was that ibogaine would be demethylated in the brain to noribogaine, which would then be trapped in the CNS for an extended period due to its free phenol group.

From the first study:

"Blood concentration-time effect profiles of ibogaine and noribogaine obtained for individual subjects after single oral dose administrations demonstrate complex pharmacokinetic profiles."
Complex indeed.
"Self-reports of depressive symptoms were also significantly lower after ibogaine treatment and at 30 days after program discharge. Because ibogaine is cleared rapidly from the blood, the beneficial aftereffects of the drug on craving and depressed mood may be related to the effects of noribogaine on the central nervous system."
That sort of dances around my question. It still doesn't say how long noribogaine stays in the system.

The second study talks about the elimination half-life of ibogaine, but not noribogaine.

Still no answer. Maybe it's impossible to detect?

From the first study:

"Blood concentration-time effect profiles of ibogaine and noribogaine obtained for individual subjects after single oral dose administrations demonstrate complex pharmacokinetic profiles."
Complex indeed.
"Self-reports of depressive symptoms were also significantly lower after ibogaine treatment and at 30 days after program discharge. Because ibogaine is cleared rapidly from the blood, the beneficial aftereffects of the drug on craving and depressed mood may be related to the effects of noribogaine on the central nervous system."
That sort of dances around my question. It still doesn't say how long noribogaine stays in the system.

The second study talks about the elimination half-life of ibogaine, but not noribogaine.

Still no answer. Maybe it's impossible to detect?
Did you actually read the studies? Fig 1 in the earlier study is a graph of plasma noribogaine in subjects administered ibogaine. It looks like noribogaine has a very long half-life, probably too long to measure in ambulatory subjects.

If you look at Fig. 1, you can see that ibogaine levels are still declining at the 18 and 24 hour point. Some of that ibogaine is being converted to noribogaine. So the PK of noribogaine is going to be different if it is given as a bolus dose vs. being formed as a metabolite.

Last edited:
Ah, so it's "very long," but it hasn't been measured yet? I see the graphs.

Does anyone know how long it will take for ibogaine to convert to noribogaine?

The papers referenced earlier in the thread show a graph of noribogaine plasma levels after administration of ibogaine. Noribogaine levels rise because of the conversion process; the time course of noribogaine formation shows the time course of the O-demethylation process. Conversion occurs in the liver and starts as soon as ibogaine enters the bloodstream from the GI tract after ingestion.