" Hair Metal" vs Grunge

Ok I can understand the sentiment for you that that was a good time for music for you and you felt the grunge movement crushed it and that FOR YOU POPULAR music declined at that period, not necessarily ALL music. That makes sense.

Well, I don't generally like "metal elitists" and would generally not consider myself one, but I guess I do have some metal elitism in me to an extent as far as just very strong opinions about what is and isn't metal.

I don't think to be good a band can't be popular, not at all, but I OFTEN think what is popular is crap, mostly just cause I feel that way whether I know the music is popular or not, that it just happens to be the case, but I also just usually don't agree with popular taste in music.

It's possible for me to like music that is popular or unpopular music to be shit IMO.

Maybe check out a couple of those tracks though cause even though they have growling with most of them you CAN tell what the singer is singing and they are really good.

See if maybe you like the Amorphis track cause that has clean vocals or The Eluveitie track, and see if you dig the main riff on In Flames' Jotun because IMO you can't write better guitar melodies than on that song.
I'm not being combative (cuz god knows I can be), but you and I seem to run on emotions. Point being, If not trying to convince you, I respect your opinion and can understand it even if I can't agree. We differ on the style of music, but I relate to the basic points of why you like metal.

I personally love the 80’s band but early and mid 90’s were my personal best . What most people consider depressing music I don’t . Even early 2000’s wasn’t terrible .

Alice in chain/ Mad season
This is to hard I’ll try to favorite albums I can listen to over and over but Layne Staley is my favorite of all time .
Frog stomp by silverchair is great
Ride the lighting
Disturbed has a lot of good albums
Skid row is one of my favorites . Rumor is if there manager didn’t royally fuck then they woulda continued to make music .
STP
White zombie / rob zombie not as much
Linking park
Staind (corny sometimes but I like it here and there )
Marilyn Manson
WASP
DIO
Sabbath
Sulblime
Now I grew up with my dad on oldies and Celine dion , Tina turner kinda music so I love all that to like meatloaf and heart are also two of my favorite bands
I’m over the place I basically will listen it evreything but rap and r&b and I’m not racist just don’t and never will get it it like it . Talking abut that reminds me of sevendust I liked them for a while .

You disagree with most of the things i say in my posts but the one thing you must agree with me is that rockstars stopped acting like rockstars. And I don’t mean the whole stereotypical rockstar I mean that none of the new bands coming out have any personality. Jesus Christ you ever watch some of these musicians get interviewed? A brick wall has more personality than they do. Commercial Rock is dead. Its been dead. I don't know why people keep saying its coming back. People would rather go to a EDM concert. This generation of kids barely have any true popular rock Music.

See, again, this is a post I can't even say that I agree with or disagree with, just that I don't really even agree with the general idea of how your are posting it at all or what it is that you consider to be really important when it comes to metal or rock music or music in general.

I have never spent much time thinking about whether or not "rockstars act like stereotypical rockstars", or how they conduct themselves in interviews or off stage, nor have I ever really cared.

What is your stereotypical rockstar?

I mean, if you want to go back to the 60s with Hendrix and Morrison then Kurt Cobain, Layne Stayley and Chris Cornell acted EXACTLY like sterotypical rockstars: they died tragic deaths and used lots of drugs, and Hendrix, Morrison and Cobain are all part of the "27 club".

I don't care about interviews musicians give and never have.

Music to me is about just that: music, and the performance on stage, but not off stage.

And as far as "commercial rock being dead", haven't you come to understand by now that FOR ME commercial rock has NEVER been representative of what REALLY QUALITY music is at all??

I have always felt that MOST commercial rock is bad.

There have been exceptions of course, like yes, I liked the grunge bands we mentioned and some popular 60s and 70s bands, but USUALLY I have hated most commercial rock and commercial music, and I usually dont like very popular commercial movies or art.

If something is being packaged in order to appeal to the masses then IMO usually it is not quality art because the artist is selling themselves.

It's not ALWAYS true, but I have always felt the best music is USUALLY, (NOT always) found in the underground.

And again, you said "none of the new bands coming out have any personality", but how many of the bands I sent you links for have you ever listened to before?

How can you say that none of those bands have personality or that none of the musicians I listen to that you've never heard of before have no personality?

I'm not being combative (cuz god knows I can be), but you and I seem to run on emotions. Point being, If not trying to convince you, I respect your opinion and can understand it even if I can't agree. We differ on the style of music, but I relate to the basic points of why you like metal.

Ok, but why have you STILL not listened to any of the links I pasted to you just to see if MAYBE YOU MIGHT LIKE ANY OF THEM??

Please take a few minutes and listen to some of the links I sent you to see what you think.

I personally love the 80’s band but early and mid 90’s were my personal best . What most people consider depressing music I don’t . Even early 2000’s wasn’t terrible .

This is to hard I’ll try to favorite albums I can listen to over and over but Layne Staley is my favorite of all time .
Ride the lighting
Skid row is one of my favorites . Rumor is if there manager didn’t royally fuck then they woulda continued to make music .
STP
Linking park
Marilyn Manson
WASP
DIO
Sabbath
Sulblime
Now I grew up with my dad on oldies and Celine dion , Tina turner kinda music so I love all that to like meatloaf and heart are also two of my favorite bands
I’m over the place I basically will listen it evreything but rap and r&b and I’m not racist just don’t and never will get it it like it . Talking abut that reminds me of sevendust I liked them for a while .
" Hair" Metal guys were hot which then made me question if I was a lesbian LOL. Who cares how they looked , took a lot of balls to wear makeup .. lol their songs were fun ! 80’s Glam/Hair Metal is my favorite genre of music. Gosh I wish I could go back in time....those were definitely the fun days!!!!! You must agree that Glam Metal guys could really play. I think the big hair, the wild antics, the booze, the drugs, the makeup overshadowed the big picture. No lip syncing, no studio musicians, no auto tune and all of the pure CRAP you hear today. Bottom line, these were excellent players , it was rock and roll on steroids. These guys were the real deal. 80s metal lasted into the early 90s. Grunge was a passing fad that lasted about 4 years. Today, people still love 80s metal and most of the bands are still touring while all the grunge bands are literally dead. I'd say 83-92 was the glam era. All Nirvana and Pearl Jam did was give way to post grunge bands like Nickelback into the late 2000s lol. 80s rock is the new classic rock and people see them as legends. "Grunge died as a result of it's pretentiousness and faux anti-commercial stance. Def Leppard had a number one album AFTER Nirvana came out. I can not stand or tolerate all that rock of melodramatic "men" who spend their time crying and complaining about their songs. For me, from the 90s to today Rock has become politically correct when in fact, historically, rock has always gone and been forged against political correctness. But i wonder who came up with the idea of dressing straight men in ruffles and fluffy hair, along with eye makeup and lipstick ?
Was it a dare by some corporate people to see if fools would make it an actual fad if they had some popular band dress like that ?
( Because it sure caught on ! )
The irony, is that the guy that was NOT straight is Rob Halford, and he had short hair and no lipstick. What do you think?

Ride the lighting
STP
Linking park
Marilyn Manson
WASP
DIO
Sabbath
Sulblime
Vince Neil sure was pretty. As a teenage girl i recorded every metal video and documentary i could find on VHS-- had hundreds of hours of concerts, interviews, and full Headbanger's Ball episodes. Truly the glory days of metal. But it is crazy how i was into the made-up, effeminate guys, who spent more time on their hair then we girls did. But modern rock has turned in to short hair and nerdy and preppy looking bands. Do you remember Headbangers Ball .. it was those 3 hours on Saturday evening . I was in my teens and it was the best time of my life!!! Heavy/Glam metal/rock rules, grunge was depressing and morbid! And now that rock is dead and music sucks it gives me great peace to know that I lived through the best years for music in the history of the planet and when I’m gone I won’t be missing anything. Born in 1976 and still have all those songs in my pocket.

Since Kurt Cobain's death, Nirvana has attained a legendary sort of status that they definitely didn't have when KC was alive, and it has also eclipsed how big GnR were at their peak. Guns'n'roses were the bigger band. they had bigger concerts and the hype around Use Your Illusion albums was HUGE. At the time, GnR was treated as a superstar band. I was a teen in 1992 (the year both UYI1&2 and Nevermind had been out for a while) and in my class G'N R (as well as Def Leppard) was massive with a bunch of hits while Nirvana was a cool side-thing with one big hit that most people liked but not obsessed over. That's how I remember the moment of the releases. A couple of years later G N' R was no longer cool and Nirvana was the ultimate cool. GnR were playing stadiums while Nirvana played arenas and large theatres. They fronted every magazine , every time you put MTV on it was G n R. Guns' songs, musicianship, diversity and raw talent were superior to Nirvana, plus they appealed to a wider audience. They were rooted in Led Zeppelin and Aerosmith, so many older generation classic rocks fans also loved them, not just the kids. Back in 1992, GNR was the biggest band in the world, period. Nirvana was just the quintesential hipster band and after Kurt comitted suicide they obtained immortal status. After '94 GNR stopped being relevant, while Nirvana was still talked about a lot. But GNR sold more records and tickets and were more "mainstream" .

During the time period, 1991-1994, Guns N' Roses sold more records and sold more tickets than Nirvana. And that's even with GnR being dormant from 1994 on. GnR headlined stadiums on their own, Nirvana played stadiums at a few festivals with 25 other bands. GnR played 4 sold out nights at the Forum in 1991, Nirvana was playing clubs at the time. Even at Nirvana's height I don't think they sold half as many tickets as Guns N' Roses. Nirvana played clubs, 3,000-5,000 seat venues, and some arenas on their last tour. GnR were playing huge arenas and stadiums at the same time, with many multiple dates in big cities. And I'm just using GnR as an example, there were other bands at the time that were just as big. GNR were bigger back then, no doubt. GNR sold more records and I think had a more worldwide appeal than Nirvana. Going on that alone Guns N' Roses was the bigger band and much more larger than life than Nirvana. Anyway, the "Illusion" period was positively huge for Guns N Roses - much, much bigger than even the Appetite era.

Wow that was like a thesis on hair metal :LOL:

Totally agree Nirvana sucked. Pearl Jam have always been in my Top 5 though. Guns n’ Roses kick ass! This is one of the best vocal displays ever..

Nirvana sucked..... cobain was a whiney junkie that couldn't sing to save his life..... soundgarden is very underrated imo....

There are some catchy Nirvana tunes...and I like Cobain's hillbilly accent on his songs...he made fun of the racist, homophobic yokels from his town so I loved that about him.

I like Pearl Jam.

Soundgarden is NOT underrated whatsoever, they have a huge following and who doesn't know "Blackhole Sun"? I loved that song, but even I'm sick of it from it being overplayed.
I saw Soundgarden on my birthday years back when they toured with Nine Inch Nails.

There's just no reason to pit bands against each other. Not that serious...

I saw Guns N Roses live, they rocked. Buckethead was the man.19DA39FA-7F40-4B3F-877B-B1946CD24284.jpeg

Nevermind overrated or not, was a solid piece of work, musically basic and original, catchy and appealing to the kids but it's still a pretty intense album.

Wow that was like a thesis on hair metal :LOL:

Totally agree Nirvana sucked. Pearl Jam have always been in my Top 5 though. Guns n’ Roses kick ass! This is one of the best vocal displays ever..

Nirvana ruined GOOD, HIGH-QUALITY MUSIC permanently. Grunge was the worst thing to ever happen to commercial music. It's so ironic that low-quality crap replaced high-quality music that actually sounded great.

Nirvana ruined GOOD, HIGH-QUALITY MUSIC permanently. Grunge was the worst thing to ever happen to commercial music. It's so ironic that low-quality crap replaced high-quality music that actually sounded great.

Except PJ :)