• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids H-Detox: Quick Methadone Taper Help!

EheheDurgs

Greenlighter
Is there really a fairly painless way to do this?

I have heard that one can take the same dose for 4 days (ex. 80mg for 4 days) and then just stop and the half-life will slowly eliminate the methadone from your system and your body will not be physically addicted to it. But at the same time how does this make sense because it is an opioid and you are just replacing one for another!? Apparently there will be a few days of a little bit of roughness after but definitely manageable.

Then there is the classic taper.

80mg
80mg
60mg
50mg
35mg
20mg
10mg
5mg

Done.

How realistic is it to expect no discomfort after the above taper? Would taking a few drops of methadone (2mg-5mg) be sabotage if feeling rough on the 4th or 5th day after the above taper?

Any advice would help as I'm switching to methadone tonight and don't want to take it for more than a few days. I realize one can get easily handcuffed and I just want to get the H out of my system and move on to a life of not being opiate dependent. Ahhhhrghhhh durgs! Grrrrrrr! Ehehe.

Thanks.

If all you want to do is get the dope out of your system and not feel like shit kicking, you won't need to take nearly that amount unless you have a serious habit.

How much are you currently using? And have you ever used methadone before?

Five to seven days of methadone will generally cover heroin withdrawal pretty effectively. The dose depends entirely on the amount the person was using before, anywhere from 20-80mg. And if you're only using methadone for a week or so, you don't need to taper it either (but you also shouldn't take any more than absolutely necessary - and with more info on your habit we can work out what might be necessary).

OR you could just take 20-30mg (again, it all depends on your tolerance, but the actively using average heroin user probably could handle 20-30mg of methadone like this on its own, without any other opioids in their system). You might need to raise it the second or third day, but even just 20-30mg/day should see you through the detox with relative comfort (compared to c/t I mean).

Thanks bruh. I been using anywhere from .5g-1g H per day up the nose mostly but sometimes smoked.

I've been on MMT before and at one point was taking up to 500mg per day several months back (no, that's not a typo lol). I got off the methadone and now wanna get off the dope. To be honest, I'm not so sure 20mg-30mg is gonna cut it for me given the amounts I was using before - while it has been a while since regularly taking methadone, my tolerance still has to be jacked up relatively speaking...do you think 20mg-30mg will be sufficient?

And no need to taper huh, that's interesting?

not well acquainted with methadone tapers but thought i'd chime in with the Rapid Subutex Detox - its seen me through many a hairy wd and can be done in about a week or so.

I agree with all of this. Given the amount you've said, your withdrawals will be minimal to moderate. Persinally, i would see if 20mg. of methadone does the job. Keep in mind, it's not designed to make you cozy comfy. It's not going to be fun and euphoric. So if you can deal with that, and 20mg. satisfies you, you can definitely do a taper to zero in 7-10 days.

With up to a gram a day I doubt you'd need more than a minimum of 20-25mg and a max of 30-40mg. Like the above poster said, you won't necessarily get high from it, but it will make you feel much noticeably better and keep you more or less functional. Only might have some GI issues and insomnia while you're on it for a week, but even those symptoms will be very manageable compared to CT.

If you can OP get some gabapentin and clonidine to help you as you use methadone to detox. As well as a sleeping med to use if you get bad insomnia (gabaergic sleeping meds shouldn't be used long term, but for a week or two will be fine; having a non-gabaeric sleep aid like trazodone really helped me during the first 6 months of abstinence).

Like the above poster said, you won't necessarily get high from it, but it will make you feel much noticeably better and keep you more or less functional.

tbh if you're getting even a little high from your detox dose you're not really doing it properly ha
especially if you're doing a rapid one - you should feel well and functional (basically how regular people feel when they're sober :eek: ) - but if you;re having a bit too much of a good time i would say you can probably afford to drop a couple more milligrams then and there.

goodluck with your taper man!

tbh if you're getting even a little high from your detox dose you're not really doing it properly ha

That is true, although I guess it depends on what one means by "high." I would always get a nice buzz from methadone, kind like a buzz from coffee but of the full agonist variety, particularly once I'd tapered down to under 40mg. Of course, it wasn't at all like the high from shooting heroin, but it was a kind of high nonetheless.

ORT medication making one feel good doesn't mean it is being used incorrectly.

I wouldn't start at 80mg of methadone for a rapid taper....

Rapid methadone tapers are usually like this, you start at a lower dose, and take the highest dose of the taper on like your third day, this is what I recommend as a rapid methadone taper, something like this...

day 1- 40mg
day 2- 50mg
day 3- 60mg
day 4- 55mg
day 5- 50mg
day 6- 45mg
day 7- 40mg
day 8- 35mg
day 9- 30mg
day 10- 25mg
day 11- 20mg
day 12- 15mg
day 13- 10mg
day 14- 5mg

exacrly 2 weeks.

Methadone rapid tapers are generally 21 days.. Study shows better success rates with methadone as a really slow detox/taper.. Typically 6 months.

I personally recommend Suboxone/Subutex for Opiate detox/tapers..

good luck!

^ I agree.

Slow detox within 6+ months will probably be more successfully on the long term. Jumping after getting used to 3-5 mg as in comfortable with 3 mg.