• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

guys what foods help you recover the most dopamine from doing meth?

I think the bigger problem is receptor disregulation (down or upregulation depending on the receptor), not convinced that eating foods rich in tyrosine/phenylalanine/tryptophan or taking supplements helps with that.
It's actually a more complex problem than just being low on dopamine, doesn't really work like that as far as I know.

I think the best thing you can do is eat a balanced diet with nutrient-rich food, getting an adequate amount of sleep and exercising.
And more importantly: keep your doses low, avoid dihydration and avoid staying awake for multiple nights in a row.
This is of course going to be prevalent in, well honestly anyone on bluelight I reckon. Definitely anyone with a habit involving chronic administration of any sympathomimetic. Foods or dopamine precursor supplements won't address this; they won't support receptor upregulation in any way, but they will provide a temporary increase in available presynaptic (I think?) dopamine which can be utilized as quickly as the rate limiting metabolic step allows for, becoming ready for reverse transport proteins or to simply accumulate in the cleft due to reuptake inhibition. I notice an almost instantaneous boost in catecholamine activity from l-Tyrosine when taken with Adderall.

Would all of the answers above be applicable to chronic dopamine depletion, as is the case with long term opiate use, as opposed to the acute dopamine decrease seen in methamphetamine users?
I’d really like to raise my dopamine, if at all possible, without having to discontinue the use of opiates, which I am prescribed for chronic pain. I’m well aware that this may not be possible. I’m currently taking an SSRI, and I’d like to enjoy life to the degree I did 10+ years ago. Any suggestions you can offer are greatly appreciated.
That's a good question. I don't think so because as mentioned above, the issue isn't so much that you've simply temporarily used up your supply of dopamine and can simply deposit more to replace it, and more that the whole system is fatigued, and the volume of active receptors is decreased from what it would be or was normally. Normal stimuli associated with dopaminergic activity doesn't cut it. Only the drug to which you've become accustomed and all that comes with it (rituals, copping, etc) triggers any appreciable activity. What began wiith unnaturally large quantities of it being released at once in the beginning, becomes the normal when repeat exposure results in chronically depleted concentration of (again, presynaptic?) available dopamine and of its transport proteins, and receptor downregulation ie decreased capability to receive/interpret the chemical signals, at which point the only way to provoke any significant pleasure/reward response is by giving your brain the only thing it and you've become conditioned to wanting, which is of course always more of the opioid drug.

It's actually a more complex problem than just being low on dopamine, doesn't really work like that as far as I know

I would think in the very early stages of cessation something like L-Phenylalanie supplements or from foods rich in it could be beneficial to at least help increase dopamine levels (albeit it's only part of the problem, it is a problem nonetheless)

I used it when I tapered off cocaine in addition to NAC and I never had one craving and very little depression or lethargy.

Still to this day haven't had one craving and never looked back.

I would think in the very early stages of cessation something like L-Phenylalanie supplements or from foods rich in it could be beneficial to at least help increase dopamine levels (albeit it's only part of the problem, it is a problem nonetheless)

I used it when I tapered off cocaine in addition to NAC and I never had one craving and very little depression or lethargy.

Still to this day haven't had one craving and never looked back.
I guess supplementing with dopamine precursors can be somewhat beneficial after stimulant use, at least psychologically. Taking phenylalanine or tyrosine does seem to result in higher dopamine levels (at least more dopamine metabolites are detected when people start taking them)

However, too much dopamine can actually have a toxic effect because some of it is broken down into a neurotoxic compound called DOPAL (a very reactive aldehyde). And the thing is that when you use drugs that drastically increase the amount of dopamine in the synaptic cleft (between 2 neurons) the body probably compensates by overproducing the enzymes responsible for dopamine breakdown.
I don't know how long this response lasts, it's very complicated stuff and I don't know enough about it, but if you take dopamine precursors while some of said enzymes are still elevated you could end up producing more toxic metabolites and not fully allowing the body to return to baseline.

That's just an example of why something that appears to be useful could actually end up being counterproductive. Things are never simple when it comes to the brain lol, at least IMO.

Regarding NAC, it's a glutathione precursor. I think it's good stuff, it appears to have multiple benefits, not only for the brain but it I think it's very very good for the liver as well (specially for people who drink a lot of alcohol).
The major issue is its terrible bioavailability... IIRC it's only around 4-10% orally, maybe even less. So one would probably have to take multiple grams a day for it to be truly beneficial.

Anyway, I'm glad it helped you quit cocaine!
Sorry for the long post.

Last edited:
^ Thanks, I never thought I'd be able to finally stop. I took 1000 mg 3x daily of NAC. I honestly couldn't believe how well it worked.

^ Thanks, I never thought I'd be able to finally stop. I took 1000 mg 3x daily of NAC. I honestly couldn't believe how well it worked.
I'd like to know what it did for you.
I understand it helped you not crave cocaine but did it also boost your mood or something like that? Why was it so effective to you?

I'd like to know what it did for you.
I understand it helped you not crave cocaine but did it also boost your mood or something like that? Why was it so effective to you?

Immediately the NAC felt like a weak benzo to me, I don’t care much for benzos, I felt very lethargic. I actually tapered myself off cocaine using it (if you can believe it, yes, tapered), so it was just lethargy but there was no compulsion to redose the cocaine. It’s hard to describe, but even triggering events, instead of making my mind go in an endless obsessive loop until I would eventually redose, just resulted in a brief spike in anxiety and then...nothing. The compulsive and obsession thoughts just stopped, and so my mind was calm and focused on the day. It helped me to really plan and incorporate structure in my day, follow through with that structure, and that’s where I think the L-Phenylalanine helped. It’s hard for me to say definitively as it didn’t have such immediate effects like the NAC, but within a week I noticed finding joy and pleasure in things I hadn’t enjoyed since I was probably a teenager, specifically in mundane everyday tasks. And that’s another thing, usually every time I would get sober, I would start to think about before I started drugs and that would ultimately trigger me into relapsing. It just allowed me to process and explore those emotions without the spike in anxiety and resultant obsession and compulsive behavior that would follow.

Now, to be fair, I think I have been mentally ready to stop using drugs for quite some time now (the whole endocardtis and open heart surgeries and heart failure really put a damper on the whole thing). So, that definitely factors in here somewhere. This just helped me bridge the gap between where I was and where I wanted to be.

Where the L-Phenylalanine actually fits in here, I’m not as clear. It definitely had no noticeable effects for the first week, but somewhere after that, I just noticed a sharp elevation in mood and finding reward in normal tasks, that under any other circumstances at seven days clean would have seemed horrible boring and I would have avoided at all costs. Somewhere, between the NAC and L-Phenylalanine, basic, ordinary, every day tasks just became more manageable, and helped me incorporate the structure I needed to start building a solid foundation going forward.

I also noticed my mood swings, irritability and inability to concentrate were almost non-existent problems early on, as well, whereas any other time those were always insanely large barriers that almost always resulted in my failure to stay clean.

How well this would correlate to methamphetamine, I’m unsure. I think the bigger consideration, as always, is the mental state going into the process.

I’ll just add, too, I was eating insanely healthy and exercising everyday. I really wanted... no... needed, this time to be successful. At this point, I look forward to going to the gym and exercising and the resultant high. It’s like the best, and most healthy, high I’ve ever been “addicted” to. I started this process with 9 venous ulcers on my legs, feet and arm, unable to breathe, edema in my legs and abdomen, my pacemaker wasn’t working so my atria and ventricles were contracting almost on top of each other (it’s not good when the atrium contracts and the valves are still closed, let me tell you, you’ll feel your pulse smash nonstop in places you can’t even imagine), and I weighed 287 pounds (30 pounds of it was water weight I lost in less than two weeks —heart failure and cocaine just don’t mix). It’s hard to even believe, it seems like all this was another life time ago.

What a year 2020 has been, for real.

Coconut water. I'm serious. It is like a vitamin shot of everything you need back again for your body.
If you dont like it, then hold ur damn nose and drink it cuz it has everything you need to recover.

Food isn't going to change tout brain chemistry.
Keep it at fenouil (French) céleris, tomato sauce and bouillon made from beef méat. Some rice (not gluey/) aswell

Kava, is no food, but I did believe it remains unrecognised for it’s possible valuable role in rebalancing neurochemiestry,,with no contraindications that way for furthering imbalance, prolonging or creating a new balance.

The kavalactones work on serotonin dopamine and neuropinephrine.

I do actually believe there is a chance kava can mediate and rebalance neurotransmitter imbalances and abnormalities.

Just never mix kava with alcohol, and some people need to drink it daily for 1 to 3 weeks to overcome reverse tolerance, then bingo, full, glorious anxiolytic mood lifting euphoric and sleep, rest aiding effects as well as plethora of cannabinoids similar anti Thai that everything. Anti inflammatory,,anti cancerous, so much more.

Kava keeps me calm. Cannabis keeps me high. Kava also mitigates THC anxiety and makes for a more transcendental blissful high when combined.

Kava it really one of the most medicinal “drugs” which is so neaxperienced across the board outside us small % of true kava enthusiasts.

Solomon Gold Headhunter I prepared just now. Good strong my one that.

Long live thé French Saucisson! It's quite reeky but it's thé n'est wakeup call next to milk for depleted brains

Organic turmeric powder is very good for brain chemistry in general, mood and depression.

1.5 heaped teaspoons daily is a medicinal dose. Also anti inflammatory antimicrobial antioxidant and assists digestion and detoxification.

Here's the real trouble though: you can put all the precursor into the body, but you can't for the brain to make dopamine with it. Even l-dopa can be used for other chains. Especially if your brain isn't used to making it due to r hydronic imbalance.