Votes: 9 20.9%
  • 2 [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • 3 [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • 4 [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/pi/16.gif[/img]

Votes: 15 34.9%

• Total voters
you dont need drugs to watch that garbage. you dont really need anything. this "film" is way overrated, tries way too hard to be groundbreaking (failing on every level), and is really just some stupid ass waste of film from an amateur that got way too stoned. and i like bizarre, indie films! i've heard this shit been compared to David Lynch...what a joke. nearly any serious film fan will tell you...just awful. the meaning of the "film" is that it is completely meaningless. Korine has even said so. he just wanted to make a shock film with no merit whatsoever, thereby making this "one of the worst films of all time." It's an obvious sell to many of those who feel cool for "getting it," though there is NOTHING to get...and it's hilarious when people try to back it up.

Reer!!! (uh imagine that as some angry cat noise with some sort of hand gesture accompanied). I totally agree with you that it's over rated though, and agree with you even more that the David Lynch comparisons are a joke. My biggest agreement with you is that there is nothing to get, because yea... there really is nothing to get. I think there is some value to it though, for some odd reason it fascinated me. I'd like to think it isn't for the shock value of it all, but that very well could be the case. I found the bunny boy scenes to be endearing. I also enjoyed whenever the older of the two main male characters had something to say. Hopefully you don't take this as me attacking your opinion as I totally am not whatsoever, and I agree with a majority of what you said. I just think that people are entitled to enjoy (or not enjoy) whatever they want without being considered a lowly hack, with poor taste in film fan due to their viewing choices. Trash film is fun sometimes in my opinion, not that I completely think Gummo is trash, it's just not the spectacular be all end creative genius that it sometimes is touted as, in my opinion anyway. Not to sound cliche throwing around cheesy quotes, that's why they make more then vanilla ice cream.

Last edited:
lol i remember seeing this as a kid 16 years old in my early years of drug use and i was like WTF!? watched it last night and it was fairly amusing and entertaining.

Reer!!! (uh imagine that as some angry cat noise with some sort of hand gesture accompanied). I totally agree with you that it's over rated though, and agree with you even more that the David Lynch comparisons are a joke. My biggest agreement with you is that there is nothing to get, because yea... there really is nothing to get. I think there is some value to it though, for some odd reason it fascinated me. I'd like to think it isn't for the shock value of it all, but that very well could be the case. I found the bunny boy scenes to be endearing. I also enjoyed whenever the older of the two main male characters had something to say. Hopefully you don't take this as me attacking your opinion as I totally am not whatsoever, and I agree with a majority of what you said. I just think that people are entitled to enjoy (or not enjoy) whatever they want without being considered a lowly hack, with poor taste in film fan due to their viewing choices. Trash film is fun sometimes in my opinion, not that I completely think Gummo is trash, it's just not the spectacular be all end creative genius that it sometimes is touted as, in my opinion anyway. Not to sound cliche throwing around cheesy quotes, that's why they make more then vanilla ice cream.

No, i don't feel attacked at all, man. i'm glad you voiced your opinion. that's why we're here; good stuff. i probably sounded a little snobby in my post anyway. when i saw it i had no idea what i was getting myself into and had higher expectations. It is interesting or else I wouldn't be talking about it. for those who enjoy it, more power to 'em. I read a review (supposedly some important film critic) that Korine was "the future of cinema." well, with that, I sure hope not! ;)

Not bad, better than kids or the piece of shit that was julien-donkey boy. Whenever I watch a harmoney korine film it feels like i'm watching the definition of pretentious.

Whenever I watch a harmoney korine film it feels like i'm watching the definition of pretentious.

I lol'd irl. It's funny because it's true. Though when I was younger I did think Kids was pretty groundbreaking stuff, I still do. Then again it was directed by Larry Clark, and not Harmony Korine. I haven't seen Julien Donkey Boy yet, nor do I plan on actively seeking it out like I eventually did with Gummo. I will say in Harmony Korines defense, some of the scenes in Kids are pretty great, like Jennie/Taxi driver scene... though I don't really know if that was Harmonys input or Larry Clarks since they both contributed to the writing. For some odd reason I want to give Korine the benefit of the doubt and say it was him. The below line seems more reminiscent to the better parts of Gummo as opposed to say Bully (which I also liked a lot), though I could be flat wrong.

Jennie: What if you can't make yourself happy?
The Taxi Driver: Then I don't know. You know what you do then you forget, you block it out... If you want to be happy don't think... if you stutter don't talk.

There's just something about the honesty and hopelessness of it. Anywho, I'll stop hijacking this thread as it isn't about Harmony, it's about Gummo. Insomnia breeds rambling.

the biggest reason why this filmed sucked is that it's NOT filmed in Xenia, Oh. I lived in Xenia from '76-'96 then again in '04-'05 and then again in '10-present. There is a lot of F***ed up sh** in this movie because it doesn't give a true representation on the town. Oh yeah, there are definitely some messed up individuals in this town, but growing up here as a kid I don't remember anything quite like what this movie represents. Did the maker of this movie ever even live in Xenia or even visit Xenia? I'd love to see a movie about Xenia, but one that truly represents the good AND the bad of the citizens of the "City of Hospitality".

Nice thread bump after 4 years :)
Movie still sucks

WTF happened to Korine, his last "movie" Trash Humpers was even worse & I dont think I will bother with Spring Breakers
Strange to think this was the guy who wrote "Kids"

Talk about a talented career gone down the shitter

^ Lol, the part that struck me was when they're in the house towards the end and you see all those cock roaches crawl out behind the picture frame

Only reason being is because I used to be a delivery/repo man for one of those shitty rental places and would constantly see houses and trailers like that all the time, fucking pig disgusting...

You know we were repo'ing a lot more than we were delivering though because the only people who rent are let's just say the type that mix well with the low company lol so yeah I was accustomed to seeing Gummo tier shit everyday

Yeah but anyway I actually don't live too far from Xenia and would drive through there up 71 to stay with a little girly friend I had towards Cbus.
I only stopped off the Xenia exit once to take a piss behind a gas station, place just look desolate as fuck

/ramble