• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Growing Q male v female . . .

Woodburner

Bluelighter
Reading around, it seems clear that THC is concentrated in the female buds, so female plants are preferred, so as to provide better stuff for smoking. As a non-smoker though, I am not interested in concentrating THC in any particular part of the plant, just how much plants produce as a whole, male v. female.
I am wondering if the concentration in the (female) buds is due to higher production in the buds, (and therefore higher total production in the whole plant) or do female buds draw their THC from the rest of the plant, reducing concentration in the rest of the plant?

The THC is concentrated in the trichomes that are in the female plant. These trichromes are a chemical based defense mechanism against predators that protects the most precious actions of the female plant, that is the creation and protection of the future of the species(seeds). We manipulated the plant by preventing the flowers to be fertilized, tricking the plant to create more and more trichrome protected flowers.

This combination of actions concentrates the THC, CBD, etc in the flowering buds. Concentrates are made by taking the oils that are trapped in the glandular heads of these trichomes and separating them from the vegetative matter.

So flowers have the most concentrated THC levels, specificly in oil that is made in the glandular heads of the trichomes.
Males are usually eliminated so they don't fertilize the flowers. This is the process that is used to create the "sinsemilla" or literally "seedless" cannabis that is enjoyed today. Allowing the flowers to become fertilized lowers total THC production in two ways.

1) Once the plant has been fertilized, it will cease producing flowers lowering total output.
2) If the plant is fertilized most energy will be used to mature the seeds, then the plant will die. If it does not become fertilized the plant will start producing more and more flowers covered with more and more trichome. The oils created in each trichome also increases in potency up to the point when the flowers fully mature. Peak potency is usually when the oil in the gland heads stop being transparent and start to become translucent and slightly amber or white colored.

Knowing when the flowers are at their peak is perhaps the most difficult aspect of growing as the THC/CBD ratio also changes with overall potency. By choosing when to harvest both type of effect and flavor can be significantly different.

Last edited:
Thanks, especially for the extended answer, you've even saved me from asking my next question! (How do you know the best time for harvest.) :)
I will now rogue out any males!