• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

growing light

Coffeeshroom

Bluelight Crew
morning all.

Yes i know there are a lot of which light to use threads but seeing as the lights upgrade or get better or change so much i wanted to know if the following is okay for my small home indoor setup for my room. Keep in mind i have an indoor setup in progress for my back room. But for my room cabinet grow im just looking for the cheapest setup for this mission. Im looking at growing 2-4 auto that wont go past 80-100 cm in height and is 65-75 days flowering time from seed. Already have a few in mind, it is just the way the branch out to the sides that will determine how many plants.

My grow cabinet that i build myself from off cuts are as follow: 50cm x 70cm x 170cm. this cabinet is specifically for some auto grow strains. So i have a few lights in mind. But here is nr1 i have in mind

Ask if there is any other questions

mbn9xd.jpg

it is a
1000W COB LED Grow Light for Indoor Plant Adjustable Full Spectrum

1000 W of LED is an awful lot of light for that space, perhaps even too much.

yeah even a 400W HPS or such would be enough in such a context. don't know much about LED but 1000W seems overkill

The 1000w rarting is never the true power drawn by the wall. on average they draw about 250-350w at the socket. So with that said i think it should do the trick then with the true wall power drawn known now. Any thing else i need to consider maybe or look out for? im not a complete newb as i have done a few indoor and outdoor grows. But for a nice little room grow cabinet to experiment in i dont mind any input or advice you guys wanna give please.

I don't know what kind of lamps you have been experienced with, Coffeeshroom, but I can assure you that my LED's pull very close to rated wattage by my actual measurement. What you say was very common back around 2009 or so when folks started buying cheap LED "UFO Style" lamps off of eBay and expecting them to work. but now a days most reputable lamps draw and output the amount they are rated at.

So you think this light is actually 1000w rated at the wall. the site is onhas no real info on the axact wattage it pulls just have the normal info of the leght spectrum and so on

I don't see a link to a specific product, just a picture, Coffeeshroom.

Buy a known brand, and you'll get known results. Anything less is a big guess.

For reference I use 750 watts in a 1m x 1m x 2m space and pull around .5 kilos a cycle.

my backroom setup is nice. I Average about 2kg's roughly but its a shared investment so i dont get alot from the yield plus there grown with photoperiod plants.

This is just gonna be a small room grow for personal consumption.

There is no link really for that light that will give anymore info then i have already. Its a light of a chinese site, so im not expecting the best build quality, just as long the light can grow my auto's as needed

China makes some kick ass LED's so don't discount that, I'm not trying to convince you go higher in wattage. Too much light and it will bleach the plant and stunt their growth. That's the point I'm trying to make. I souce some really great chips from china and their prices are great if you know what specs you are looking for, etc.

Well anyway since you have such a productive back room I wouldn't worry! Why don't you just do it and tell us?

By the way, you could probably get a lot better specific advice about this by consulting one of the numerous cannabis cultivation web sites. I use to hang out on Overgrow and then IC Mag, but to be honest I haven't checked IC Mag since around 2010 or so when there was a lot of "drama" going on. Overgrow is long gone.

I was talking too much intensity Marley, not photoperiod.

Auto-flowering plants may be immune to changes of photoperiod, but are still subject to being exposed to too little or too much light. Too little and they will not be vigorous, too much and they will turn white and stop growing. I've done it with LEDs before because, unlike HPS, LEDs do not burn plants directly becuase of radiant heat from the bulb envelope. LEDs can easily get so close as to bleach the plants (stop photo synthesis) and yet not "burn" the plant tissue. With just ~700 watts output I have measured intensity at the canopy top of the plants that were almost 2.5 times the intensity of the sun at noon at the equator, and my LEDs are nothing special.

I would probably go more for around 350 to 450 watts at that size of a grow room.

Think what im gonna do is get an electricity meter that you then plug in your wall socket and then your appliances or what not. Then this meter will show me how much electricity its actually drawing.

Yeah, that's one of the ways I measured mine. The other way I measured it was with a light meter to make sure the mfr was not just using a big resistor as a voltage drop device to make it "appear" that the device is pulling more current instead of using proper voltage regulation and LED drivers.

The consensus on many LED grow forums is to use Quantum Boards, they are multi chip LM301B panels that are also available with Deep Red (660nm) supplement.
If run significantly below the max rated spec, the uMol/joule (how much light that the plants are going to actually use) ratio is amongst the best you can have with any grow light tech.
Ofcourse you would need to either SOG or train your plants to keep the heads at the same height as small leds don't pen as much as big 100w+ COB+lens+reflector systems.
If you do not want to SOG or train plants just go for CMH.

EDIT: these are quantum boards https://horticulturelightinggroup.com/collections/quantum-boards

That's a good solution Phobos, but the space that the OP specified (50x70 cm) isn't a whole lot of space do SOG and he doesn't have a lot of vertical space either.

It's quite an interesting challenge :)

Again 1000 watts in that space is overkill.

hey guys thank for al the input so far.

@Phobos im looking at changing out my LEd lights i currently have in my backroom grow with some of those Quatum Boards but that is only in the far future, for now im just looking at a cheap setup for my room.

@ White Rose, okay so im gonna get one of these wat meters

4lt2dw.jpg

Then im gonna go with that 1000w cob led and then see with that meter what it is actually drawing.
Plus this specific light has knobs to dimm down the light and so on. so even if it is a bit too powerfull i could always just then turn it down on the dial

That's a good solution Phobos, but the space that the OP specified (50x70 cm) isn't a whole lot of space do SOG and he doesn't have a lot of vertical space either.

It's quite an interesting challenge :)

Again 1000 watts in that space is overkill.

For that size cabinet I would do LST with 4-6 ladies... Auto Ak47 maybe.
I've had them reach 50 to 80g dry and clean bud each, but it took 90 days from seed.
I think 150-200w should be enough for that space.

Hey all. I'm still stocking up and gathering material and components for my discreet room grow. Just wanted to ask a quick q, has anyone seen, come across or used the following lights?
Specs are:
LEDs: 18pcs 660nm Deep Red
Drive current: 550mA (18x3W Class)
Beam Angle: 60-degree

Are these any good or worth the money adding some extra light especially for budding stage, trying to get more dense/heavier buds or are these type of grow led bulbs a bunch of sh@it. I see you get them in full spectrum too but I'm looking at these red ones specifically to add to my other already full spectrum led grow light.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-06-28-21-02-33.png
    Screenshot_2019-06-28-21-02-33.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 1