• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Good movie to show an addict to change their ways

Boku_

Bluelighter
Aren't they're a whole bunch of old black and white Hollywood films that are good to show to an Alcoholic to make them take stock of their lifestyle and help them realise they have problem with alcohol and it is time to change their ways?

What are some of the film titles popular for AA interventions?

Also isn't there a famous 80s film that is good to use for a intervention with a speed user who is out of control. The 1980s film is about a young male amphetamine user hitting rock bottom?

I don't know of any 80's movies as I'm only 29. But Trainspotting, Requim for a Dream, and Beautiful Boy are all films that come to mind. I'm not sure those films will convince someone to change their ways though, as most are convinced that they are some how different and are not subject to the same consequences. Also, the examples shown in Hollywood tend to be the extremes. Lots of people maintain for years with less extreme habits. Watching a weekend warrior slowly descend into a junkie over 10-20 years isn't exactly a great Hollywood script though.

I don't know of any 80's movies as I'm only 29. But Trainspotting, Requim for a Dream, and Beautiful Boy are all films that come to mind. I'm not sure those films will convince someone to change their ways though, as most are convinced that they are some how different and are not subject to the same consequences. Also, the examples shown in Hollywood tend to be the extremes. Lots of people maintain for years with less extreme habits. Watching a weekend warrior slowly descend into a junkie over 10-20 years isn't exactly a great Hollywood script though.

Yeah honestly I don't think showing movies or even documentaries are particularly effective at changing behavior. Honest personal accounts on a one on one basis is what I'd probably say is most effective. But in my opinion some people aren't gonna stop going down such a path no matter what's said or shown to them.

In fairness to requiem for a dream (God that movies depressing), that covers a whole year, still not very long and probably on the extreme end, but not inconceivable.

requiem for a dream and also basketball diaries was an awesome movie too...

Requiem is too over the top in the last 15 minutes. It's almost comical to me especially the ass to ass scene. Trainspotting glorifies heroin if your not in the lifestyle already. I ignored the bad parts until I rewatched it later. Great film though. If he's an alcoholic Leaving Las Vegas is cool. But I don't think a movie will help his addiction

Requiem is too over the top in the last 15 minutes. It's almost comical to me especially the ass to ass scene.

I agree, I thought Requiem for a Dream was a ridiculous movie, like a bad D.A.R.E. ad. I don't think it would do much to dissuade someone from drug use if they have an ounce of skepticism.

Aren't they're a whole bunch of old black and white Hollywood films that are good to show to an Alcoholic to make them take stock of their lifestyle and help them realise they have problem with alcohol and it is time to change their ways?

What are some of the film titles popular for AA interventions?

Also isn't there a famous 80s film that is good to use for a intervention with a speed user who is out of control. The 1980s film is about a young male amphetamine user hitting rock bottom?

Requiem for a Dream. 100%. It should be shown in schools as a drug deterrent.

The TV show "Intervention" might help, although I find it triggering.

For those dismissing Requiem for a Dream: I was addicted to amphetamine sulphate plus used Xanax to sleep. My story was VERY similar to Sara Goldfarbs, right up to becoming psychotic and getting sectioned.

I loved reqium for a dream i was to young to know what the drugs were but i found it facinating now im older i can see it is a little sterotyped and a bit real especially where he goes away with his mate and leaves his girl with no gear and shes like "what the fuck am i meant to do" any junkie can appreciate that scene

I wouldn't necessarily recommend Requiem for a Dream, it can really upset or trigger people who have been through the system. Basically the plot is that everyone encounters the worst of the system they're made part of: The grandma gets ECT done on her multiple times through psychiatry, the heroin user is stigmatized and casted out by society, the black guy is racially profiled, arrested, and made to work slave labor in prison. It's not all about drugs. They did a brilliant critique on institutionalization of various sorts. People tend to think falsely that the moral is "drugs ruin your life".

Elizabeth Vargas story "The Making of an Alcoholic" on YouTube was pretty good.

I don't think a movie or documentary will stop someone in their tracks, but it's helpful along the way. You never know what's going to resonate with someone.

Elizabeth Vargas story "The Making of an Alcoholic" on YouTube was pretty good.

I don't think a movie or documentary will stop someone in their tracks, but it's helpful along the way. You never know what's going to resonate with someone.
watching right now.

Tie them to a chair and me the addict watch over the top drug commericals eventually they will see the light its called tough love ❤

I hope you enjoyed it Mafioso. I was cringing with and for her when she was hammered doing an interview, and slurring on that tape.

Anxiety is my struggle too. It was an interesting story.

Lol Pete. Funny to read, but I would've ended up clawing my eyes out if you tied me to a chair in withdrawal.

god that movie brought back so many memories of trying to hide my habit from work... so much added stress and work

APS has a pretty cool series of this girl. They did a 3 part, the first 2 she is going downhill and it is really sad, but the most recent one she got out of jail and appeared to be doing soo much better.

It's great to see she seems to be doing better. It would be great for her to reunite with her kids.