• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Golf Golf Thread

i don't watch golf but i play a few times a year, it's fun as hell. i'm pretty damn good at getting on the green but my putting is not too great.

where the golfers at?

i played at wolf creek a few weeks ago. it was $200 and worth every penny :)

slide1.jpg

my local course - lake tahoe golf course - has a players club for $40 per month. perks include free use of the range, a beer and a cart with every round and reduced rates. after 3pm i can play 18 holes for just $15.

played my first round of the year there on saturday morning:

ltgc01.jpg

really happy with that round.

i don't hit the ball far - on par 4s and 5s, i drive with my 3 wood and usually hit it about 225. 250 if i really connect. i bought a new driver - a cobra fly z+:

1030208-aae.jpg

i hit it three or four times that day, mostly on the par 5s. nice easy swing and the ball goes 275 now. makes par 5s reachable in 3 for me now which should help scoring :)

my goal this summer is a penalty-free round. only two this round but it's the difference between an 82 and a 78 :)

alasdair

FUCK YEAH GOLF THREAD

Where are the golfers?

I would like to chat ty.

right here!

first round of the year at my local club was a good one, especially the back 9:

golfscorecard01.jpg

my handicap is currently at 16.8. goal is to get under 15 by end of summer.

where do you play mel?

alasdair

I am lucky enough to live right near the "worst golf course in Melbourne" as voted by some wanky golf forum, so I'm often over there drinking beer and smoking joints while fumbling my way through each hole. It really isn't bad at all though imo, and it's nice and chilled and we can more or less wear whatever we want which I enjoy. They had a great membership deal going, so I jumped on it.

I travel around the city quite a bit in my free time, so I've played a bunch of different courses and we change it up more often than not.

At the moment I'm working on my wrist set and just getting that right, as well as watching my set up, posture and lead arm. Back to basics yet again.

I've been a beast at the range lately and I'm dying to find time to play a game! I'm going to try and squeeze nine holes in this weekend and see if my fabulous luckskill carries over.

right here!

golfscorecard01.jpg

This score has me so jealous. The lowest I've shot over 9 was a 46.

PRACTICEPRACTICEPRACTICE

I'm thinking of buying a practice net to use at work, but I'm still trying to figure out if this could do more harm than good? Wat say you BL golf people?

i have never used a net but i feel like it would be hard to get meaningful feedback on your shot hitting into a net...

alasdair

Oh it would for sure, and it does worry me.

It would be so awesome to be able to just go and swing throughout the day at work though. I'm trying to weigh up whether the extra swing pracitce will end up being a good thing overall (esp at this stage while I'm still noob as fuck), or if it will just cause me to mess my shit up :/

Decisions decisions.

Talk to MEL about lessons efriends. I have done this so far without, but my progress has been screwed multiple times when I try to focus on something new without pro guidance and it takes a dip, then gets back up.

Are most teaching pros generally going to be quite good, or at least good enough? Or do I have to be super careful with who I select?

Share all you know plsty.

there is a late night driving range back home where u can play different games whacking balls. I guess there is a computer chip in the gold balls you hit because it keeps score.
that's the extent of my golfing experience lol

Talk to MEL about lessons efriends. I have done this so far without, but my progress has been screwed multiple times when I try to focus on something new without pro guidance and it takes a dip, then gets back up.

Are most teaching pros generally going to be quite good, or at least good enough? Or do I have to be super careful with who I select?

Share all you know plsty.
talk to the pro at your local club and see if you like what you hear?

i assume australia has an equivalent of the the usga? maybe they have some resources to help?

alasdair

I just hit first round of season.. woods wisco.. wind was a bitch and pre season included full price but no distance indication. The cart girl was fucking hot for a wisco milf. Whole thing was a puddle and it was like putting in fresh cement. Didn't shoot so hot, but was laughing at the 2 iron in my bag.. no for real.

i broke 80 for the first time in my life yesterday:

79round.png

my putting was great, mostly thanks to my approaches - i dropped one 165 yard approach a foot from the flag. i also missed a 3rd birdie on #9 after hitting my drive 300 yards :)

my playing partner had a bad day...

alasdair

Getting out for the first time up north this weekend. i'm planning on playing a bunch this season.

^ how's it going @neversickanymore ? @Mel22 where are you?

i've been playing a lot this year - 54 rounds since the start of the year so averaging about 1 round per week which is pretty good. my best score was a 79 (twice!) and my worst a 98 with an average round of 87.5

my tahoe golf buddies and i are off to vegas in march to play for a couple of days. we usually have a spring trip and this year we picked vegas.

we're playing bear's best - designed by jack nicklaus - one day: https://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/Bear-s-Best-Las-Vegas/

and the wolf course at paiute the second day: https://lvpaiutegolf.com/wolf-layout.html

can't wait...

alasdair