• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler

Gibberings ver. CCXVIII - Itsanewdawnitsanewdayitsanewsiteformeyeah....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took a drunk detour on the bike.

Accidentally ordered and ate a deep fried Camembert with huge salad and wedges.

Savage. I couldn't speak much, but I was fucking hungry

Just casually advised my 9yo that he can sell gold and silver from Wurm online to pay for the faster internet connection he keeps campaigning for

Dual Xeon 8280's, 56 cores, 112 threads, 2TB (16x128) RAM and more storage than I'd need in a lifetime. Think I just jizzed in my pants and died at the price at the same time.

What does a normal person need that for? I used to need 2tb ram when I did crop genomics but were not all doing that at home. And generally parallelisation benefits go down dramatically after about 60 threads.

What does a normal person need that for? I used to need 2tb ram when I did crop genomics but were not all doing that at home. And generally parallelisation benefits go down dramatically after about 60 threads.

A friends work setup, and no, it didn’t run Crysis!

Hahahaha.

Now I wanna know what your friend does with his home based hpc setup. I'm waiting for my new work setup and it will not be as powerful as that but i'll be working on smaller genomes so theres no need.

Considering IV'ing meth. I've done snowballs and what not, and tried meth every other ROA.

One last thing before I die? As if any drug could kill me at this point.

Hahahaha.

Now I wanna know what your friend does with his home based hpc setup. I'm waiting for my new work setup and it will not be as powerful as that but i'll be working on smaller genomes so theres no need.

He's not home based, he works for the RAF doing some kind of security.

ha good luck to him. i got my new bioinformatics rig today but spent all day arguing with linux about wifi adapters. looks sweet though.

whoa, that is some fancy shit. i googled the processors in mine came to about 2k, got 400GB RAM which is enough for my use case. its got a glass panel and pretty colours inside but annoyingly my power sockets are such that that side really should go against the wall.

i don't actually own it, it belongs to my work, but its pretty cool as a thing to have in your house. i'm used to just sshing into a cluster rather than having a machine with high enough specs to work on directly.

if you're really interested in coding you can teach yourself and if you can develop a decent online portfolio put it on your cv.

to get into my particular area (bioinformatics) you probably need a phd. though mine was in quantum computing so not really relevant, biosciences are desperate for people with a good computer science background.

apparently bill gates will hire you if you read all of the art of computer programming by knuth. unfortunately the toy language he uses in those books is a bit painful.

Been dabbling with programming languages since I was a teen just got derailed by drugs and music and other interests and what not....python is fun atm. just wondered if these certs in security etc are worth it because there's no chance I'm going back into higher education.

yeah i love python, its the best. honestly if i could fuck about in numpy and pandas all day, with the occasional bash one liner for variety, i would be very happy.

i have no idea about the certs i'm afraid, i guess it shows willing and commitment which is always a good place to start.

People who can't afford degrees / time?

There's loads of people on reddit saying they've got work after completing these certs.

What about stacks, MERN, MEAN?

Never mind all yer fancy pants coding shit. Ok, it serves a purpose to keep us all entertained, but when the shit really hits the fan in the shape of a mass coronal ejection or a man made electromagnetic pulse, who ya gonna call?

People who actually work for a living, that's who... 😜

Have you seen Melancholia? Something so reassuring about impending world doom.

Didn't realise the ghostbusters were still in town.

Status
Not open for further replies.