Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hydroazuanacaine

bluelighter
ghostshell10.jpg

director Mamoru Oshii, '95

two sequels for this movie have threads, but not the original. doesn't seem right.

i was just reminded of this movie because i stumbled upon a description of Ghost in the Shell 2.0, making me think someone had taken the exact dialogue and plot of Ghost in the Shell and completely re-animated and re-dubbed it--which would have been very interesting. i got all excited, searched it, found it on Instant--what luck! but really 2.0 is just someone blemishing the original, adding cgi that no one wants--a Star Wars kinda abomination. and they turned the whole movie sepia. so much for that.

but just plain ol' Ghost in the Shell is still awesome. i havent seen it probably 5 years, but i own it. only animated movie i have ever considered worth purchase. it and Akira seem to be the only anime that non-anime fans know--myself included. The Matrix borrowed from it profusely--in story, style, and so on. it's fun and different. very cool looking, especially the pursuit ending with the fight in the big puddle (my favorite scene). good stuff. i gotta re-watch it soon.

what do others think?

Last edited:
I agree that the sequel is missing something that the original was replete with (I also think that most anime is crap). "Innocence" treads similar conceptual territory, but it lacks the "compositional rhythm" of the first. The montage sequences of Ghost in the Shell in particular are rich in unique choreography. For instance, notice how the first few drops of rain splashing into a puddle that begin the scene of the Major's desultory journey through the city fall in a rhythm that seems to perfectly anticipate the swell of music that follows, or the cut between the domino-like unfurling of a police spike strip intended to stop an enemy's car and the subsequent shot of a vehicle traveling through a tunnel as the reflections of the overhead lights warp over its contours in even cadence. It plays out visually and thematically like an epic musical hook sounds.

Scenes like these convey the life of the inanimate world far more vividly than the somewhat stilted philosophical dialogue of both films, and so I was disappointed that this aspect was totally lost in the smoothly rendered CGI movements of the sequel. In most anime you usually only see this stylistic flourish applied to amplify the kinetics of power -- in the recoil of a cannon or a graceful deflection of a sword slash, for example -- but in Ghost in the Shell the animators found novel applications for it and expanded the style in the process.

^well i haven't seen any of the sequels, so we are not technically in agreement. but i have no real intention of seeing them, because i figure we would be in agreement.

i just got done re-watching it. another movie that has survived my transition from radical teen to adult. great movie.

stilted philosophical dialogue
^true that. but my god does not watching the dubbed version help. the difference between the english subtitles and english dub is enormous. like, a whole star better different. while i think the english voice actors are kindabad ass, the actual dialogue of the subtitles is so much more meaningful. and much smoother sounding, though there are certainly still some parts that have the tone of an essay.

for every bit that this movie influenced The Matrix, it was influenced by Blade Runner. shit, a neo hong kong setting with that same gritty, grim portrayal of the future. a population made up of a mix of cyborgs and humans, with the line between the two blurred with body and CNS "implant" and upgrade technology. science has developed the ability the modify and implant memories in an individual, leading to similar results in both movies (a character who believes he/she has lived decades of a life he/she has not. people who were use and who have no real place, identity, or positive function in society). a police force that pursues those used individuals. in theme: what constitutes life, an "individual." how fucking huge is the role of memory in what defines an individual. what is the significance of what the memories are the product of--fantasy versus reality, artificial versus real. and what rights do individuals have--particularly in a world so heavily influenced or even created by corporations and their technology. particularly if the individual is the creation of corporations and their technology.

and just on the level of style. the chase scene through the busy neo hong kong streets, present in both movies. in both chase scenes, a naked female character wears a clear raincoat looking thing. the revolver that her partner and that harrison ford use look modeled off of one another (i think, havent seen blade runner in a while). the whole tone of the two movies.

Ghost in the Shell could be seen as a connecting piece between the two, Blade Runner and The Matrix. Taking Blade Runner's focus on the individual and starting to look at the interconnectedness of it all. an ultimate reality and the individual's reality. what are the two comprised of. not that Blade Runner doesn't touch on that. just not nearly as directly focused in that direction as The Matrix or Ghost in the Shell.

Edit: how am i gonna say that and not give a single example. at the beginning, when her partner asks about the static in her brain affecting their transmission, she says "it's that time of the month" in the subtitles, and "must be some crossed wires" in the dubbing. "it's that time of the month" both highlights and blurs one of the film's binary oppositions, organic versus synthetic. and that opposition's role in defining life and identity. that "girl" does not have a vagina. "must be some crossed wires" hardly means shit without some no-fun reaching. i guess you could say it shows how a phrase originally describing technology has become a figure of speech about something organic, but as they are also actually using implant technology, so i dont know. the subtitled response is much richer, IMO. and that is just one tiny example.

and for smoothness, when the major and that dude are first questioning a suspect, they tag team one question in a really smooth, cool way. but in the dubbing the wording is very awkward, stiff, and translated sounding, and is divided it into two simpler separate questions. im not gonna type it out.

edit again:
the Major's desultory journey through the city
^i'm a big fan of this scene as well. as you mentioned, the music compliments it extremely well.

Last edited:
great film but it was hard for me to get into because it's one of those movies that leaves you with far too much time to think between scenes.

definitely enjoyed the shit out of the GiTS series though. whereas the movie focuses intently on the theme of what it is like to be a cyborg, the series is able to focus not just on that but also on the geopolitical and ideological implications of such a future and really just frames it all in such a cohesive view of the future that it looks and feels very complete and honest.

i love the bladerunner atmosphere of the original. only seen the sequel once and it confused the crap out of me, too many proverbs and saying which lose muchin translation.

i have the manga sitting on my bookshelf. the movie actually sticks pretty close, but obviously the manga goes way way deeper.

now if only gits2 would've stuck to the manga instead of making up an enitrely new story, it would've been loads better.

Only seen the original, and will never ruin that experience by seeing shitty remakes, unless they do a baller live action version.

key words: U.S. remake

translated from BULLSHIT means "We're lifting the name and one of the plotlines from the animated GiTS and everything else will be anything else."

Probably one of the few anime where the English voice acting isn't absolutely horrid