• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GHB testkit accuracy? False negative? or correct? and how to make your own test kit?

Tieeurrrop

Bluelighter
I had bought an eztest ghb test kit and recently got a small amount of GHB from a long standing seller. There are many testimonials assuring the quality of the product however when I received the material and tested it with the test kit it showed a negative response. The liquid remained brown no matter what amount was put in when it should have gone green for GHB.

So of course this made me wonder if the seller was claiming it was something it wasn't but still psycho-active so I thought maybe a related analogue like 1,4 bdo. That wouldn't have been a big deal if I actually knew for sure what it was; I may still have been willing to try it in that case but not knowing what precisely it was I wasn't going to do that and so didn't ingest it.

I did have a little dab though (only because testimonials said it was good, I wouldn't have done otherwise) and it did indeed taste saltly but you could just 'add salt' to anything couldn't you.

I have asked the seller about that and they denied it still claiming their product is of the highest purity. Of course they could be lying but they have a long standing good reputation which is what is making me question that. I wanted to check on the test side if there were any likelihood of a false negative somehow.

The issue isn't so much about this seller's product but more of how confident you can be about the test kit's accuracy because it is pointless if it does not provide reliable results.

I saw a video of a similar ghb test kit (not by eztest) but it was also brown and turned green immediately on testing so I presume that it is the same chemical/s which they use. Does anyone know what chemicals are used to make the test? Also it would be expensive to buy test kits if you have to semi regularly test ghb sample as it comes to like $10 a pop. It would be much better to find what chemicals they use and make a batch like the marquis etc droppers since these one use ghb ones are very uneconomical and I imagine it is extremely cheap for them to make them. Wouldn't be a problem for a one off but ye to be able to DIY your own kit it would be much better if it was practical?

The video I watched showed an immediate color change from brown to green with very minimal sample material however when I tried, I tried initially with only a small drop or two and when I didn't see any reaction I added more and more drops and still nothing.

I wondered could there possibly be anything that would have interfered with the test? I have since thrown the substance away since it produced a negative as I didn't want to have it around when the test indicated it to not be GHB but I wanted to know if it could be wrong? Since I have disposed of it I can't now send it for proper analysis to know for sure which I suppose would have been the only way to really know.

But I just wanted to know generally how accurate a GHB test kit is and whether false negatives are common or not and if so what could be the cause. I can't really see what could have interfered with it because the test kit was stored in a cool dry place.

Last edited:
sekio said:
an easy test for GHB is to boil off the water and see what remains, a liquid with no smell is 1,4BDO, a liquid with strong smell is GBL, a solid or powder is GHB salt

As far as I know the commercial "GHB test" reagent is a glorified pH test. It would detect pure sodium GHB in water but if the pH was too low/high it would produce inconclusive or incorrect results. It has false positives for alkaline water of similar pH to GHB and could produce false negatives for GHB in acidic solutions.

As far as I know the commercial "GHB test" reagent is a glorified pH test. It would detect pure sodium GHB in water but if the pH was too low/high it would produce inconclusive or incorrect results. It has false positives for alkaline water of similar pH to GHB and could produce false negatives for GHB in acidic solutions.

Wow, serious ripoff if that is the case for something that isn't even accurate.

Can you tell me some other way I could tell what I had then? Not with the original material since I don't have it any more but if/when I try again.

I know I read another post of yours advising you can tell between the 3 (G, gbl, 14b) by doing a boil test and seeing where it evaporates however I am not so worried about it being 1 of those three (although of course I want it to be G but non of those 3 are particularly toxic -14b being questionably the worst but still much better than most substances from what I read- and produce very similar effects) but how to know it isn't something else entirely?

Can you still look for certain things and be 'fairly confident' of course first doing your prior research to find only the most reputable sellers in the first place.

Is the boiling test as accurate or even moreso than a test kit anyway? since if it was something else then it wouldn't form a solid putty like mass when evaporated off would it (if it were something else entirely) so is that a good enough test in itself, to boil off the liquid G and see if it returns to a waxy solid?

Or are the additional test that you can do yourself to get an even better idea? the more the better and so long as they use practically available materials.