• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Getting rid of Tramadol tolerance?

zenzan

Greenlighter
Hey, hoping Covid-19 is going easy on ya!..Ive been taking Tramadol 75-100mg every two days ( sometimes every other day) for the past 2 months....ever since i had a surgery, doc continued the meds cuz i was still in pain. Im here on the forum cuz, even though it started as a pain killer, it's now mainly used for recreational use, pain killing property is just a side bonus atm.

My first dose of 37mg tramadol was amazing, the euphoria, the pain free environment, it went great with a 5mg valium, i was literally flying (or so i thought)...but it had been a slippery slope, after a week of 37mg daily on empty stomach, I increased it to 75 mg as to get the same effects...then 100mg, still on empty stomach. Even though rn im in the therapeutic range and even if I dont take the med for like 3-4 days i dont feel much except my usual depression creeping over, headaches, so im not really addicted to it. Or so i think.

Anyways, how many days should there be gap before i start taking tramadol again, as to reset my tolerance?
The meds i have are mixed with paracetamol (75-650), I know i could do a CWE, like i used to do with DXM, but i think its for the best, it'll force me to keep in the therapeutic dosage since max i can take is 150mg, anything above and id be ingesting way too much acetaminophen.

I know that taking opiates is always a slippery slope, addiction is very likely. Im basically asking for info about tolerance reduction, so i dont increase my dosage(which i won't, max ill ever go is 150mg). Ive done some extremely idiotic and stupid things in life, for once im giving myself credit as to how much research ive put into this drug lol...

Previous history included

Valium( for Panic attacks) - 20mg for 1 month, then tapered off over 2 weeks, havnt looked back since 2 years
DXM - 300mg mostly (never above), hated to chug the syrup, loved the high, hated the CWE on pills even more, so dont get high on it often now
Alcohol - only on weekends and when social
Weed - Not so much, always get paranoid on it lol

Tramadol has a half life of 6 hours and is generally out of your system after a day/ day and a half or so. Whilst you may think you’re not going to go above 150mg you will eventually develop a tolerance to it the longer you take it. If you really want to just have it recreationally I’d stick to once a month.

Tramadol also acts like a SSRI that’s why it makes you feel happier as well as pain free. It’s an absolute bitch to withdraw from when you become physically dependant on it. If this is a prescription from your dr, I’d imagine he’s eventually going to cut you off because realistically you should be healing and pain free. If you haven’t stopped taking these recreationally by then that withdrawal is going to severely suck. I’ve come off a lot of medication, tramadol is up there as one of the worst, you don’t want to get to that stage with it.

I basically got a supra-pubic catheter (gross, i know), but the pain isn't going away as my body's response to close the wound is futile cuz of a plastic thing sticking out of it lol. And I know, you're right on this, but if i could get rid of benzo addiction (albiet a really small one), i wont let this drug get to me, not that im over confident, cuz im just strict that way with myself.

And the prescription isn't going away. Im from a third world country who spent a fair amount of time in UK studying. Here you get a prescription, you get to keep it, and you can re-buy at your will, as pharmacist are not at all strict/dont keep records.

I see that you must have had a horrible experience with tramadol, so sorry to hear that....but maybe i could ask you a question? whilst knowing that everyone is different, could you maybe know how many days did you have to stop taking tramadol to feel the same effect (both pain reduction and euphoria) without increasing dosage? i was thinking like a week off of it would reset my tolerance?

Yeah I’d keep it a week/10 days, that should keep you from developing a tolerance for a while but I don’t know how long you could do that until your body expected it if that makes sense. It’s the SSRI that’s the Bitch to withdraw off mainly.

I’m sorry you’re in pain, I’ve looked after my grandmother who had the same. It shouldn’t really be causing too much pain now. Try to make sure you’re in a good routine of washing around the area and checking for redness and infection. Don’t be using creams or anything on it.

All the best with your recovery!

To be honest, pain isn't that bad, it comes and goes. Its the idea of me, 22 yo, getting a supra pubic is what gets me, sometimes just too hard...Anyway, thanks for the reply, id definitely would try and limit it more, only take it for 6 days and then off of it for a week or 10 days until (finger crossed) they figure out what's wrong and remove that thing from me!

I’m sorry, I’m sure it really isn’t nice to have one when you’re so young but I’m sure it was the best form of treatment for you for the time being. I hope the do figure out what’s wrong with you. It is reversible like you say and I’m sure you’ll get back to normal eventually. Keep the chin up and if you ever need an ear you can always drop into my DMs.

Tramadol is dangerous unlike other opiates it is bad for your body mainly the brain if you knew what it did you would rather take heroin..

Tramadol is very addictive shit .. I am hooked on that and it is impossible for me to reduce my dose or try to quit, I was clean for 2 weeks and relapsed a few days ago
After 2 weeks without using it and enduring abstinence only 300mg were enough to leave me very high, from that moment I was taking it every day and today I took 600mg and I am sorry, but not so much, I would say not to use it, but I think the only one way to achieve effects without increasing the dose is to leave it for a time, one or two weeks

i was facepalming because of ganjacats remark about heroin.

Sure, if we are talking about a heavy opioid addict then yes, tramadol is dangerous because at the amounts needed to keep that addict out of wd tramadol would pose a very serious seizure risk. So in that case, heroin would be safer.

But you were only talking about taking like 75-100mg of tramadol per day. At this level it's ridiculous for him to suggest heroin is the better choice...

i was facepalming because of ganjacats remark about heroin.

Sure, if we are talking about a heavy opioid addict then yes, tramadol is dangerous because at the amounts needed to keep that addict out of wd tramadol would pose a very serious seizure risk. So in that case, heroin would be safer.

But you were only talking about taking like 75-100mg of tramadol per day. At this level it's ridiculous for him to suggest heroin is the better choice...
read what I said stupid bitch I said heroin is better for you than tramadol

I have seen what they put in tramadol you lot don't know what your talking about and if you read online some people say it IS more addictive than heroin but if you wanna have a stroke and damage you exo brain so your brain is worse than an 80 year olds to ahead guys pop those trams

tramadol is a double edged sword my friend. unfortunately the only way to remove the dependency, as you want to by my understanding is to go cold turkey, see how long you last on that, valium with alcohol should keep you away, good luck! :)

A week wasn’t enough to lover my tramadol tolerance. A full month at least will probably lover your tolerance with 70 per cent. But it will be back to normal very fast.

a week will do nothing but give you withdrawals and when you take it again you withdrawals will disappear and you will get high one or two days till the withdrawals is fully gone and your tolerance will be the same.

I have taken it in 15 years so I do speak from experience. I take 500 mg each day together with oxy- and hydrocodone.

But it will be back to normal very fast.

this is a very good point. Tolerance is slow to develop at first. Then you try and take a long break, your tolerance drops, but when you start using again your tolerance very quickly returns. It's a bummer. Best you can do is try and slow the development of any further tolerance. If left unchecked it'll just grow larger and larger.

this is a very good point. Tolerance is slow to develop at first. Then you try and take a long break, your tolerance drops, but when you start using again your tolerance very quickly returns. It's a bummer. Best you can do is try and slow the development of any further tolerance. If left unchecked it'll just grow larger and larger.
I confirm this, I was using 750mg daily until I stopped in cold turkey, 2 weeks clean and with 300mg I stayed as I wanted, I kept using it later because the withdrawal returned, but now I need more than 500mg and still I do not feel half the effects that I felt at the time of relapse, ah, a week has passed since I started taking it again, so you can give an idea, the tolerance increased even in the second use

A week wasn’t enough to lover my tramadol tolerance. A full month at least will probably lover your tolerance with 70 per cent. But it will be back to normal very fast.

a week will do nothing but give you withdrawals and when you take it again you withdrawals will disappear and you will get high one or two days till the withdrawals is fully gone and your tolerance will be the same.

I have taken it in 15 years so I do speak from experience. I take 500 mg each day together with oxy- and hydrocodone.
Definitely a full month which is what I said originally. Taking it every 10 days whilst it wouldn’t cause you to develop a tolerance very fast would definitely still build a tolerance.
Still, if the OP sticks to the doses he is then it shouldn’t be too bad. It is very easy though to go an extra 50mg though and soon you’ve lost the run of yourself.
Tramadol really is a bitch of a drug.

For amphetamines some K or some Dextromethorphan will reset tolerance to some point, but for opiates? I just read a thread about using Muscarinic neurons antagonists in very small doses to exacerbate opioid action, maybe that will potentiate and not lower tolerance? Try Passiflore tea along with St-John's Worth, good combo with benzo and opiate imo. (I believe passiflore has some antimuscarinic effects which will potentiate tramadol and St-John's worth will potentiate the euphoria you feel as it acts on zerotonine and dopamine along gaba)

Lots of times tolerance isn't neurononal but mental, as your mind gets used to the state you're in and tares compared to the "pain and suffering" you normally result in.
Just a heads up :)