• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Getting Pain Killers From My Bupe Doc While on Bupe Maintenance??

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddysgone

Bluelighter
hey all
I am on a a fairly small daily dose of bupe (2mg) for bupe maintenance.

I have just come down with shingles and for anyone who has had this, you know that it can be excruciating.

I really feel like I need something additional for the pain but obviously the fact that Im on bupe maintenance complicates things for several reasons.

Im going to talk to my bupe doc (he and I have a very good relationship and he trusts me a great deal), but I'd like to get some opinions here.

First off, despite our close relationship, is it unlikely my bupe doc will prescribe me something for pain due to my "history of addiction"?

Also, what would be the best pain killer to take in my situation? I imagine something with a high affinity would be the best choice since the bupe will partially block the effects. Dilaudid perhaps? Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks-DG

Yes just this week I got 8mg Dilaudid from my Sub doc for my Root canal. He is extremely understanding and I have been with him over 2 years.

Talk to your doctor and see what he can do for you, if you're honest with him, the worst thing that will happen is that all he could offer you is more buprenorphine.

That's the answer we always give people though, I think this is a great place for people to post subjective experience.

I don't want to close/move/merge this yet, but it may end up happening, though I'm not sure where to move it to...?

So we'll leave this open, please stay on topic, no knee-jerk responses, and don't flame the OP.

I am sorry you are in pain most of all, people should never have to experience excruciating pain.

Shingles is extremely painful from what I've seen with the people I know who have gotten it. I've never asked my Bupe doc for painkillers, although I've thought about it, it's a very long and odd story why I would feel comfortable asking him for painkillers to use in a purely recreational sense. I'll comment on that if anyone else is interested, but as far as your shingles is concerned, what he may do is prescribe something like Gabapentin or Neurontin.

I don't think he'd do that solely based upon the fact you're an addict, but more because they treat nerve pain better than opiates. And from what I know, shingles effects the actual nerves rather than just the skin and the nerves there.

Hopefully what he'll do is prescribe you both an opiate and gabapentin - that would effectively treat the pain the best. And as anyone who is on Bupe knows it makes for a poor analgesic and is not preferable to manage pain. If you have a good relationship and explain the situation and allow him to monitor you, perhaps he'll be sympathetic to your case. I hope he is! Good luck!

Talk to your doctor and see what he can do for you, if you're honest with him, the worst thing that will happen is that all he could offer you is more buprenorphine.

I really dont think that they would increase his steady dose for temp discomfort being it would mess with what his body has become used to, but could be wrong...

But bud don't rule out Tramadol, Ibuprofen, Tylenol, Naproxen Sodium, or any other pain reliever not containing an Opiate. I know its not an good ol' OC but Im on sub. and I've found they really can go a long way with pain, from someone who switched from methadone to suboxone with the doctor telling me to "tough it out" when he put me on a much lower dose in comparison to the done, I deal with alot of discomfort and I really find Iburprofen to help, or just try the 6/7 alcohol method for better use of your :\meds...

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=404947&page=1

ok most people on sub understand that it is not an effective pain medication. unless ur tolerance is really low. i would really love for u to follow up on this daddysgone. because i think in the near future i will be in a similar situation.
"
ps.. is your bluelight namereferring to the sparklehorse/dangermouse song "daddys gone". if not, u should listen to the song, it could be like ur anthem. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.