• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Getting off 20mg of methadone, how bad will my withdrawals be?

OP, that's a bold, brave taper, but like other posters have said, it was always going to catch up with you: 'done has a long half-life, so the extreme discomfort you're experiencing now probably reflects the elimination of the methadone backlog in your system. Forgive the long post, but this is serious territory...

Be careful with the Xanax: it's the crack of benzos, short-acting and a very fast track to physical dependency, which can be harder to kick than opiates. I've tapered myself off of pharm painkiller and dope habits (never went for 'done, for fear of ending up a lifer, though I very occasionally get a 5mg physeptone tab to kill cravings), but am struggling with a medically supervised benzo taper. If you use for more than a few weeks, then it can be dangerous to just stop - some people won't experience any withdrawal, some will throw seizures, most fall somewhere inbetween. 2mgs of Xanax = 40mgs of Valium, and if used for consecutive days over more than a week or so, it's not a great idea to CT. I'd strongly advise getting hold of some valium if possible - it'll both hold you for longer while dealing with the 'done withdrawal than xanax, and is the benzo of choice to taper from, owing to its long half-life. If you need say 40mgs of diazepam a day for a month, you should then be able to taper pretty quickly - 5mgs or so a week, then be really careful when you get close to zero, it's safest not to kick till you're on less than 1mg.

I know, it's frustratingly slow: but I've tried to rush coming off a long-term benzo habit, and ended up needing a shot of midazolam in the ass while two nurses held me steady, 'cos I was shaking like a jelly in an earthquake and on the verge of a seizure (doc said to drop 2mgs: I dropped ten, and it caught up with me over a week later, still repairing damage done to friendships in a borderline psychotic episode). The other things you might want to consider are loperamide and kratom - I've used them at the tail end of opiate tapers, and both are surprisingly effective at minimising physical discomfort, though it takes some trial and error to find the right dose. Generic loperamide's dirt cheap and easier to come by than kratom (which tastes like dirt, a cap'em'quick machine and empty gel caps are the only way I've ever been able to keep the stuff down): but coming off a year-long on/off oxy, morphine, dhc, hydro, fent, et cetera habit (every pharm I could get: there was a dope drought), I found diphenhydramine 90mins before a dose of 10 grams of plain crushed Bali kratom leaf kept me straight for a full day, even in high-pressure work situations. It's then easy to drop a gram a day, and withdrawal symptoms are minimal. If you go that route (doesn't work for everyone), don't bother with the extracts, they're either shit or spiked with RC opiods like O-DM-Tram. Plain Bali is the most reliable kratom out there - google around, I think it's legal in most states other than Massachusetts, but there may be a few other exceptions.

I can't over-emphasise: careful with the benzos. It was Xanax I got hooked on, and more than two years on, I'm still on 44mgs of Valium a day, officially, and have repeatedly slipped and supplemented that dose, even though there are no real recreational effects. Still, I'm a lot more stable now than when on fistfuls of the more enjoyable benzos - and Xanax is close to the top of that list. Valium's not hard to come by, prescription or otherwise, and 10-20mgs once or twice a day at most will almost certainly be a lot more effective in holding the horrors at bay than xanax.

I don't know (except, I guess, for the proft margins of pharm companies), why methadone remains the drug of choice for opiate maintenance. I've kicked opiate habits by finding a stable dose of morphine (generally around 120 - 150mgs, just enough to feel almost normal: it would have taken 2 or three times that much for a nod), gently tapering 30mgs a week till on around 30, then switched to time-release DHC, stabilised, switched to alternating kratom and codeine till I'm down to about 5gs of Bali or 4 doses of 10mgs codeine a day, halved that over a week and kicked. No physical trauma, a week or so of depression and the sniffles, and then I've been fine, other than PAWS and a strong tendency to relapse whenever I find a new connect. I just did it again - found myself on two bags of dope a day, and then had a week on methadone, which was all it took to renew a mild physical dependency. Now I'm tapering on DHC, and planning to be clean in a week or so - but it was a very brief habit. I wish I could get hold of just one or two 8mg sub tablets: I know from experience that crushed and used judiciously, they'd bring me down and clean almost painlessly.

You're doing incredibly well, but watch the benzos, they can be tricky, and are a very hard category of drug to leave behind, even though they're not much fun at all. It's ironic - the best highs I ever had were from non-addictive psychedelics, mixes of X and shrooms and so forth - but the lamest of 'recreational' drugs, benzos, have proved the hardest to say goodbye to, even though I don't enjoy them and have generous, tolerant medical support.

Final thing: if all else fails, you could always resort to a very low dose of 'done, say 5-10mgs, and taper from there. Your tolerance may have dropped far enough that you'd get a lot from very little, and could drop a mg or so every few days to a week without much pain. I know, you want to leave it behind completely, but you've dropped a big dose in a short space of time, and a 'controlled relapse' would be better than developing a physical addiction to benzos. But if you go that way, don't mix methadone and benzos: very easy way to stop breathing. After running out of dope, and with a very high benzo tolerance, 10mgs of methadone and 20mgs diazepam knocked me out for sixteen hours. 5 days later it took 40mgs of methadone and my usual valium dose to get a normal night's sleep, and I realised I was in serious trouble. Hoping I can nip it in the bud without medical help, otherwise I'm going to have to find a sub doctor, which means paying serious money.

Good luck, be strong, and get yourself some diazepam - if you must use benzos, it's a hell of a lot more pratical than alprazolam.

i wish you luck man! everyone is different so it is hard to tell how severe someone's WD symptoms will be, but you did yourself a favor by completing a taper, even though it was done hastily.

HI there shadow_onion i am in the same boat, been on methadone maintenance on and off for 4 years at varying doses, i've been hovering between 80 - 100 mg for the majority of these years. I'm getting off the MMT for a variaty of reasons. So today i was dosed at 67mg, i haven't reduced much at all and i can go as fast or slow as i want but i want to do it faster rather than slower because the quicker i can get off the quicker i can get back to live w/ family vs. being currently homeless. part of the deal to move back in w/ fam is i can't be on methadone because the clinic(s) in the city where i'd be moving do not accept the funding i have (medicaid.... well they do accept it but only have limited number of "slots" , the waiting list for a medicaid slot is 1 year or more).

I want to hurry this up, maybe do 2mg a day until i get below 10mg and stay at 10 for a week or so, go to 5 for a week or so, then stock up on loperamide etc. and move back in with the fam. yes it will be bad but at least i won't have to kick while i'm homeless, that would really suck. im living in a shelter now. ill keep updated good luck

Last edited:
if youre at 20mg, you wont be able to drop 5mg every other day without getting very sick... I was at 120 and dropped 10mg/a week til i got to 35-30mg, then i had to slow it down because i began to notice the taper... youll have to slow down Alot once u get to 10-15mg, even if youre dropping 1mg a week, drop until u can feel it, then give ur body a couple weeks to get used to that dose, then drop another mg or so, get as low as possible and sign into a clinic for a medical detox

^It's different for everyone, you can't assume everyone needs the exact same detox....A 1mg a week decrease is ridiculous IMO...thats what most clinics recommend to maintenance patients I know....

methadone half life tends to increase when you are opoid tolerant... what this means is that when you drop a dose in smaller increments you really dont feel the difference until up to 4-7 days later (depending on metabolism).. i have known ppl that have done rapid tapers down to 10-20 mg because at higher doses a 5mg decrease is tolerated better... once you get under 20 its disasterous to drop by large amounts or quickly...

that being said im almost done after many years... i was up to 100mg at one point and now im at 5mg... here is what i found... at 20 i had to do decreases at 2mg... at least in my experience my body really could not tell the difference when i would decrease at 1-2mg weekly... 3 weeks ago i was at 8 and 2 weeks ago i dropped to 6mg... when i was at 6mg i tried taking only half my dose (3mg) and i noticed i was fine until the 20 hour mark when i would get the restless leg thing but otherwise i had no pains or anything and have been able to function normally... the main symptom of my taper has been my GI tract is out of whack for 2 months now... nothing painful but man have my bowel movements increased...

anyway to OP best of luck to you... i know the feeling to want to be done with this shit but if it gets to be too much you might want to try a minimal taper if you can afford it... it really does work...

ridiculous in the sense that its too much/too fast or the opposite ? i was at 120 and dropped 10mg every week all the way to 40mg, then did 5mg/week to 30 then slowed. But ur right, everyone is different and imo everyone reacts very differently when it comes to withdrawling.

At my clinic i hear/see n talk to people all the time while waiting for the clinic to open and theyre complaining saying they dont feel well even when theyve had their dose the day b4 and didnt miss any, personally i can go 2days without my dose and be fine, day 3 is a bitch and on day 4 morning ive gotta go get it or ill get v sick. Others get Sick after missing 1 day.. its odd

That's probably the best generalized withdrawal management recipe I've seen on this site, clonidine saved my ass, loperamide kept it in place.

ridiculous in the sense that its too much/too fast or the opposite ? i was at 120 and dropped 10mg every week all the way to 40mg, then did 5mg/week to 30 then slowed. But ur right, everyone is different and imo everyone reacts very differently when it comes to withdrawling.

At my clinic i hear/see n talk to people all the time while waiting for the clinic to open and theyre complaining saying they dont feel well even when theyve had their dose the day b4 and didnt miss any, personally i can go 2days without my dose and be fine, day 3 is a bitch and on day 4 morning ive gotta go get it or ill get v sick. Others get Sick after missing 1 day.. its odd

Shit, goin slow cant hurt I guess, I did 1 mg a day cuz I was sick of goin there, stayed clean for a few years after, but once you're at 10 mgs, it starts to feel pointless, even though 10 mgs can be a lot...

Hey yall. I tapering from an recreational dependence. I was doseing 30mg 3-5 times a week for about 7 months. Didnt realize how deep i was in till i couldnt get anymore. Anyway, im down to day 4 on 10mg. I sometimes skip a day if possible but between work and university its damn hard. I only have 5 1/2 10mg pills left so i plan on doing a day or two more at 10mg then dropping to 5 mg then 2.5. I have gabapentin and somas at my disposal for aches,anxiety,and sleep and adderrall for energy and mood(double edge sword with adderrall as the come down sucks and gives me cravings and makes sleep very tough). How long after completely stopping can i dose oxys without reseting what ive accomplished? I learned my lesson about dons. Ive used oxy recreationally for years and never had any wd! Do not under-estimate the don!

I've done my methadone's jump from 5mg to nothing 47 days ago. I was on Methadone for more than 7 years and it took few months to go down from 80 mg to 5.

As of this date, I still feel exhausted and tired at work.But each day a little less.

I feel better physically speaking, but sometimes have mood swings, it comes and goes. I started swimming last week to help my body produce its own endorphin.

I guess only time will tell if I've done the right thing as I'm facing difficulties that I didn't have to deal with for years, like cravings, insomnia etc.

Last edited:
I on 109 and feeing sick because my liver is acting up. Wanna go use. Like right now. Luckily I don't know anyone in mass. But can't sleep. Been on benzos since I was 14. So unlimited amounts are like aspirin. Please if anyone can help me with this sick, feeling like I'm back on heroin feeling (cuz I'm feeling sick 5-8 hours after I dose. Legitimately.). I need help. Please someone. I'm in the friggin NShre suburbs. My daughter is upstairs. What can I do????????

Is there a reason you have to rush it like you are?

You can drop your dose quite a bit, like you've already done, because even a little bit of opiate will push off withdrawal symptoms. And, since methadone is so long lasting, even though you're at 20 mg, the concentrations in your body are likely a bit higher.

Unless there's a reason you need to drop so fast, like going to jail or something that you can't delay, you'll really do yourself a service by slowing down and extending the final taper.

As for what to expect? You should know - it'll be exactly what you were experiencing that caused you to get on methadone in the first place. But rather than a 5-7 day process, you'll likely have a more prolonged but less acute withdrawal.