• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Getting off 20mg of methadone, how bad will my withdrawals be?

shadow_onion

Bluelighter
I've been on methadone for a little over a year for OC and heron addiction. I was at 120 up until about a month back when I decided to start a fast detox. I've been going down 5mg every other day and so far have had almost no symptoms. I'm currently at 20mg and will be at 0 next week, since I havn't had any withdrawal yet what should I be prepared to feel coming up?

My experience dropping off methadone (admittedly limited.. I have since relapsed on heroin) was fairly pain free. This is, ofcourse, in comparison to what it feels like to be in intense WDs. I bought like 120mg of methadone and did a rapid self-taper over like 10 days. You will most likely have trouble sleeping for a couple of weeks after dropping off, and wake up sweaty. I found that I would toss and turn and wake up in a state of panic for no reason, throughout the night. Throughout the day I just experienced some lethargy and the usual hot and cold flashes that come with opiate WD. Hang in there! It does get easier every day. Soon you will start to feel AWESOME! Then you may experience some post acute withdrawal, but not for a few weeks. If you are really suffering I would recommend doing a slower detox, no need to rush! This is all based on my experience and it is of course, different for everyone. Good luck and congratulations on your progress! Shit ain't easy at all. :)

EDIT: I'd like to add that the time frames for you might/probably will be extended, due to the amount of time you've been on a high dose of methadone. Also, you may not be feeling significant WD symptoms yet, because you still have such a build up of the drug in your system.

Last edited:
My experience dropping off methadone (admittedly limited.. I have since relapsed on heroin) was fairly pain free. This is, ofcourse, in comparison to what it feels like to be in intense WDs. I bought like 120mg of methadone and did a rapid self-taper over like 10 days. You will most likely have trouble sleeping for a couple of weeks after dropping off, and wake up sweaty. I found that I would toss and turn and wake up in a state of panic for no reason, throughout the night. Throughout the day I just experienced some lethargy and the usual hot and cold flashes that come with opiate WD. Hang in there! It does get easier every day. Soon you will start to feel AWESOME! Then you may experience some post acute withdrawal, but not for a few weeks. If you are really suffering I would recommend doing a slower detox, no need to rush! This is all based on my experience and it is of course, different for everyone. Good luck and congratulations on your progress! Shit ain't easy at all. :)

EDIT: I'd like to add that the time frames for you might/probably will be extended, due to the amount of time you've been on a high dose of methadone. Also, you may not be feeling significant WD symptoms yet, because you still have such a build up of the drug in your system.
Thanks for the reply. I have had anxiety and trouble sleeping lately, but it's hard to say if that's due to the withdrawal or other stresses. I'd take benzos to help with the withdrawal but I'm too much of an addict to regulate them.

No offense babettehaze, but being on methadone for a year vs. being on methadone for 10 days is completely different. You took 120mg total, OP was taking 120mg every day for months on end.

OP, you're going to feel like crap and have trouble sleeping for at least a month after your last dose. I can almost guarantee that your anxiety and sleep troubles that you have now are because of the fast taper. Personally, I think you should taper as fast as you can without causing serious harm to yourself, but you were on a pretty high dose; I can't say for sure if what you're doing is safe. Hopefully someone else can come in here and tell you if your taper is going to give you seizures or something like that. Assuming what you're doing is safe, I recommend getting some DXM (cough syrup or powder) and some loperamide to help ease through the withdrawals.

^Generally, opiate withdrawals alone don't cause seizures, that would be benzos, which I don't think the OP is using

120 mgs is a high dose of methadone to take daily, but there's people being given twice that amount by the clinics these days. I was on methadone maitenance for almost 3 years, taking 95 mgs daily. I followed the normal detox routine of 1 mg every other week for awhile but became frustrated with what a pain in the ass it was becoming.
At around 80 mg I decided to come down 1 mg a day until I was off completely. The only think i used was valerian and diphenhydramine to help me sleep.
I only really had 4 nights of total sleeplessness accompanied by mild chills, diahhrea, anxiety etc., but it really wasn't nearly as bad as I though it would be. Within 3 weeks you should feel pretty much back to normal, IME.
It was nothing like coming off heroin cold turkey and it wasn't nearly as bad as tapering off suboxone ended up being for me, although that had a lot to do with the way the facility that I was in was administering it to me.
There's a thousand other supplements and drugs you could use in combination to ease your withdrawals. I would be careful if you're trying to stay drug free, though. Just Don't believe all the horror stories all the "lifers" at the clinic have to tell you. They want you stuck in line with them for all of eternity.
What I will tell you: You might be dropping a bit quick for as long as you've been taking it. I'd slow down to a 1 mg a day decrease. Still pretty quick.
And, to be warned, the withdrawal may not really hit you until you're completely off the methadone. Even 1 mg of that stuff seems to make a big difference. It still shouldn't be anything you can't handle if you're truly determined to free yourself from this shit.
Edit: I also wanna say,
Withdrawal pain is horrendous while you're goin through it, sweating it out, but everytime I've gotten through it, it's never seemed that bad looking back.(which may be why opiate addicts relapse so frequently) I've wasted years of my life not really getting high, but just maintaining because I was afraid of withdrawals. Still, being off opiates for 15 months now, not really by choice but because I'm stuck in what seems to be the worst dope city in the US, I miss it...Can't really imagine no heroin for the rest of my life..

Last edited:
I would stay at 5mg a day for at least a week(better if it were 2) before trying to jump off if I were you. And then take 2.5 mg the last 2 days. No need to get in a hurry now, the less pain you feel the less chance there is for relapse. I've seen way too many people get in a hurry when coming off methadone and it leading to relapse, don't think its not going to hurt when you stop just because you've taken your dose down so low(compared to 120mg), methadone is a very potent drug.

No offense babettehaze, but being on methadone for a year vs. being on methadone for 10 days is completely different. You took 120mg total, OP was taking 120mg every day for months on end.

Oh yeah, agreed. I tried to make it clear I was only speaking on my experience and added that edit to further differentiate between my scenario and the OP's. It's also very different because the OP is detoxing off of methadone... and I was using methadone to detox off of heroin.

I also used to take a large amount of xanax daily towards the end of my methadone career (around 5mg a day), I havn't used them in over amonth though. Think that will still effect my withdrawal at all?

Methadone wds should hit soon, sorry! It's like a mild cluck but drawn out for months longer, it's doable though OP a few aches and pains and temperature fluctions, treat it like having the flu, loads of liquids and rests! You can do it! I jumped off 80ml and made it, so I have every faith in you! Remember it does not last for ever! Opiate addiction makes you numb, so be prepared to start feeling real emotions again <3 :)

I think you should go find $200 & fast...whoever is telling you there is no wds after 3.5 yrs on 120mg is either an idiot or knows NOTHING about meth. I was on 160mg at my highest in April....I know & Im a small girl. I have been on it same as you 3.5 years. I am currently at 40mgs...& even thats effecting my sleep. I am detoxing myself as Ive been clean & refuse to get medically detoxed for $ or being dirty bc I have detoxed before & the KEY is slow & steady wins the race. If you go from 120mg to 0 in 10 days....youll be using...unless u can handle it which most cant. I live in CT &even if they detox you for fees they do it 5mgs every 3 days. I highly suggest you get insurance from the state if you have to. Maybe youre clinic dosnt take insurance in which case...try to find another clinic or get the $. Trust me Im sure when u were using you found a way to get $. Talk to:) the director,see if theyll put u on a sliding scale. Thats crazy....10% a day!!! Post back...good luck

I just jumped off to 0 today. Getting the shakes really bad and can't sleep. I went over to my moms to detox and she's currently giving me 2mg of xanax every 12 hours to help me sleep. Really hope this shit doesn't get much worst- but I'm gonna have to handle it on my own. I can't go to the hospital to detox cause it would fuck my job.

^ Good luck man. I was in the same boat earlier this year so if you ever have a question feel free to PM me.

now's the time to lean on ppl you trust.
keep posting, too.
putting it in words helps.
the dark side here on bl is a good forum to lean
on also.
i've been there..
and methadone w/d is a tough one..
and it can feel as tho it'll last forever..
so..it's super important to keep talking..
keep moving and keep your brain occupied.
eat healthy..and as much as possible..
same with fluids.
you need to keep your body and your mind
strong to win this one.
good luck op <3

Thanks for the words everyone, it really does help. I've never felt this weak in my life. Shakes and anxiety got a bit unbearable but I just took another 2mg of xanax and am coming down, hope I can sleep tonight.

I think you should go find $200 & fast...whoever is telling you there is no wds after 3.5 yrs on 120mg is either an idiot or knows NOTHING about meth. I was on 160mg at my highest in April....I know & Im a small girl. I have been on it same as you 3.5 years. I am currently at 40mgs...& even thats effecting my sleep. I am detoxing myself as Ive been clean & refuse to get medically detoxed for $ or being dirty bc I have detoxed before & the KEY is slow & steady wins the race. If you go from 120mg to 0 in 10 days....youll be using...unless u can handle it which most cant. I live in CT &even if they detox you for fees they do it 5mgs every 3 days. I highly suggest you get insurance from the state if you have to. Maybe youre clinic dosnt take insurance in which case...try to find another clinic or get the $. Trust me Im sure when u were using you found a way to get $. Talk to:) the director,see if theyll put u on a sliding scale. Thats crazy....10% a day!!! Post back...good luck
Whatever....the OP was saying he was on it for 1 1/2 years, as for me, I was on it for just shy of three years. It's all about the taper. Jumping off at even a small amount sucks! financial detox sucks! But did you even read what I said about tapering 1mg a day?
It sucked and I wasn't right for awhile, but I was able to sleep a little bit after 4 days. 3 weeks later, I could sleep 3-4 hours a night off and on. There's good days and bad days but it does end!
If YOU knew anything about "METH", you would know that there's no way to completely beat the withdrawal and you're gonna pay the piper one way or another. It's bad, but it's doable if you get yourself in the mindset to do it! Or you could just be one of these people in their pajamas with a cane and a fucking briefcase for a takehome box!
As far as benzos go, I never found them to really help all that much for opiates when taken on there own. High doses of Ibuprofen, long hot showers and vitamins witha low dose benzo would be how I'd do. Chamomile tea helps a little bit, too. Also, try to get foods that you really like and eat whenever you can.

i have a question, do you know how people say methadone withdrawal is far worse than heroin.

Well im on methadone (46ml) i come down 2ml a fortnight, i think i have been on it for maybe 6 months, i really want off it. infact i want off everything.

Well what i was wondering is, if i rapidly dropped my methadone till i was off it, then used heroin (as little as i could just to keep the sickess away) would the WD's then be easier as i would be taking heroin while the final meth left my system.

I have never ever done a full rattle, ive always had money and only ever went 24 hours into it

No fuckin way dude!! I mean, theoretically, if you could dose miniscule amounts of pure H accurately, maybe?? But, all in all probably the worst idea I could think of.....
You wanna use non opiates to get off opiates at the end of a taper....
I've tried tapering down heroin and it never worked.....I'm sure everyone else will tell you the same.....
The rehab I was in gave me 50 mgs of tramadol for three days after I tapered off suboxone, but I'd go with clonidine, low dose benzos, diphenhydramine, Ibuprofen, loperamide, vitamins, etc.

I met a guy in rehab and he was coming off methadone. It had been several weeks and said every bone in body hurt.
The doctor was giving him oxy 30's to help with the pain and it's a nasty withdrawal.

^that's a helll of a rehab doctor!....In the one I was in, that douche wouldn't even give me a f'in benadryl....and I was DEAD sick...It was in Waverly Penn...look it up.....
IME, using any "real opiate" resets the whole thing, but who knows....If I'm sick and I have a pile of dope sitting in front of me, am i REALLY gonna do 25 mgs? Come on now!

i have a question, do you know how people say methadone withdrawal is far worse than heroin.

Well im on methadone (46ml) i come down 2ml a fortnight, i think i have been on it for maybe 6 months, i really want off it. infact i want off everything.

Well what i was wondering is, if i rapidly dropped my methadone till i was off it, then used heroin (as little as i could just to keep the sickess away) would the WD's then be easier as i would be taking heroin while the final meth left my system.

I have never ever done a full rattle, ive always had money and only ever went 24 hours into it
Hah, 2 days clean coming off 10mg of methadone I tried doing a heron taper... ended up going on a 4 day $1000+ binge. So no, I don't recommend. Currently I'm 5 days clean from that ordeal and still feel like I'm dead on the inside, anxious, skin hurts. At least I'm able to get 4+ hours of sleep a night.