• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Getting Grandma off Oxy

Apollo 420

Greenlighter
Hello,

Grandma has been perscribed OxyCotin for years for pain reduction for her polio. But a deadbeat uncle she really loves bums them off her, so she suffers in pain without and when she gets more she becomes a zombie. I want to try to offer her OG Kush as a substitute, I really hate seeing her on opiods. Any advice or insight on replacing opiates with marijuana? Any tips on acutally convincing her to hit, she said never tried it.

Last edited:
Your grandmother is prescribed the medication and sounds like she needs them and unfortunately, an easy target. You could have a talk with her and ask if she will stop giving them away. Even better, talk with uncle or other family members who can better look out for her so this does not keep happening. She would need to decide if marijuana is a better option for pain relief. Just so you know, we don't use swim on Bluelight. Just say me like everyone else.

Considering it's for pain reduction wouldn't she not need them if she found weed effective? I personal,y don't think she needs opioids, I feel like pharma took advantage of her

Polio? You they have a vaccine for that?

Detoxing at an old age can be brutal, let the docs do their job.

Welcome to bluelight. We don't use terms like SWIM, "My pet dog", "my friend", or other third person terms to describe ourselves and drug use. This is not drugs forum.

Make sure that your grandmother can actually take marijuana and does not have any sort of blood pressure, lung/respiratory, or heart issues, as there is risk if she does and vapes, smokes it, or eats it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117399&page=1

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2014/06/does-marijuana-hurt-your-heart-doctors-urge-caution/

http://www.livescience.com/48073-marijuana-heart-attack-risk.html

Also tell her to only take oxy when it's really needed since if you take it daily or very frequently, or take more than is prescribed addiction can happen. Does she know what her brother or your great uncle does with them and how he just scams them from her to get high?

OK thanks for explaining more. Does she exercise at all, do stretching/yoga, or go to physical therapy at all? I know people who have post polio syndrome and they do all of these things and it does help them but they are not on oxy, and just take Aleve or naproxen sodium when they need it. They have never used cannabis, or kratom at all.

Last edited:
@7-nos I think it's for the pain due to post polio.

No, he works construction and says it's for his back, she thinks he's getting the same treatment off it as her. She doesn't have any of those issues, just pain in her leg and depression since my grandpas death. She already is dependent is some form, she's been taking it for 5-7 years as daily pain medicine, I feel like her misuse is because she was improperly informed.

She cannot really exercise, she's at the point of limping with a cane her leg is very inactive. All it does is pain her. I'm hoping weed can serve as a healthier alternative to her opioid use.

Weed may be something she could take instead of painkillers but she would have to go through the challenge of withdrawals if she was to discontinue her 5-7 year long use.

Have you discussed this with her? She may not even want to stop taking her meds. Her perception of her pain will get worse while she detoxes... Meaning it's gonna have to get worse for her before it gets better. She may not be interested in stopping.

Maybe she could use marijuana as a way to enhance the pain killing effect she gets with her meds. Maybe with the addition of marijuana she could dose less or dose less often. Try explaining all this to her... Beyond that, I don't know what you could really say. If she isn't open to the idea at all I doubt you'll change her mind.

weed is not healthier than opioids....especially smoking it. opioids are arguably less harmful than weed if taken at prescribed dosages. way Less mind altering than weed by far also.

your grandman is old and probably near death....what is the point of taking her off of opiates? they are not dangerous in any way whatsoever unless she starts snorting or injecting at higher than prescribed dosages.

but you want to put her on a very mind altering drug for some reason because hippies told you pills are bad and weed is good.

i think you're trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist. decisions about your grandmas medical care should not be made based on a junkie uncle. my 2 cents

^for a month yes....then it becomes illegal and everyone using it for chronic pain is fucked up a creek. you think the DEA will let MD's prescribe all those pills to take care of those chronic pain patients that decided to treat themselves usuing a natural plant that has been using for a thousand years by people all over asia....but are not allowed to do so in this "free" country. while most all of the asian "non-free" countries and every other country on the planet is still allowed to treat their chronic pain using a plant that has never killed a single person.

which is the free country again?

Id say, tell the uncle who is bumming them off her, tell him to fuck off and either get his own script or get them elsewhere! That isn't right... But your grandma, being on something such as oxy, is totally normal, and there is nothing wrong with that, if she is in legitimate pain.. Weed is not an ideal painkiller for the majority of people.. this makes me think of my grandma, who is also addicted to oxycodone, and has been for like 20 years... Percocet.. she cant live without them, and even the thought of weed makes her mad, she doesn't know that weed, is not a harmful drug, because of the naïve generation she grew up in, which made weed seem just as bad as any other drug off the street to so many older people, she is 93! she has broken every bone in her body, some of them more than once, not exaggerating, over time she has been in so many accidents, and because she is very small, her bones aren't and never have been very strong!

So I say let her be, and don't make her suffer through pain, if oxy helps her! its not worth all of that, she will be suffering! trust me, oxy withdrawl sucks, and I cant imagine it would get better with old age! She seems like she really needs it, and all of what she is scripted, so tell your uncle, or have someone tell him.. that taking pills from his grandmother who is in pain, and REALLY actually needs them, not to mess with her supply anymore.. chances are, she will not like the idea of weed, if she is like the majority of older people who think weed is just to get stoned.. yes it can help with pain, but only with some people... so keep that in mind, all of the pain she would have to go through, before switching oxy with weed actually made any sort of improvement, if it even would... it might not even do a thing for her pain, and then she would most likely go right back to oxy.. If anyone should be on oxy, its older people in pain.. Keep in mind, a lot of my thoughts on this, have to do with my grandma, and what I have seen with her, on oxy.. she is fine with it, but in terrible pain and miserable without it, and loving her as much as I do, I would never do anything to try and stop her from taking a perfectly safe painkiller... as long as your grandma just takes them, orally, as prescribed, there is most likely nothing at all to worry about, except your uncle... hope it works out for you and your grandma!

So you've spent time with your Grandmother. When she has no Meds because your Uncle took them.

If he is causing your Grandma too suffer. You need too fix that shit. Tell her not too give them up then go over there when she gets her refill.

When he shows up say hell no. Explain too him he how fucked up it is too leave Momma in Pain. If he's anything like anyone else sprung out he won't care and accuse you of taking.

Its best too address him outside. I got so angry when dealers didn't have it or gave me bullshit. Have a battle plan as he is probably strong from doing construction.