• 🇺🇸󠁿 🇧🇷 🇨🇦 🇦🇷 🇲🇽 🇹🇹 🇨🇺
    The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

⭐️ Social ⭐️ Get to know your neighbo(u)rs from across the pond

We have actually tried to link this to EADD. Not sure what happened there. It may not be possible for the same thread to exist in two places which was the initial thought.

Well even a stickie thread in EADD with a link to this thread would have worked, but they have tons or stickies already and this didn't make the cut.

What I do every now-and-then is move this to EADD and then right back here, and I leave a redirect so they can see it and click on it like a normal thread as long as it lasts before moving back pages.

How old do you have to be to legally drink alchohol? It's 21 here when I was 19 we could go to Canada and drink but now they won't serve Americans till their 21.

Really, they changed that too? I went to Montreal about 4 days after my 18th birthday and got drunk all over the place for about a week straight.

When I turned 16 you got a full license with no restrictions. That was over 20 years ago.

I was able to get my learner's permit at 16 and then had to wait 4 months before I could test for/ get my full-on license. That was 10 years ago. Shortly thereafter they passed all sorts of rules about minors driving like you couldn't have more than 1 passenger who was under 18 and that you had to be off the roads by midnight or some shit like that but it was not at all enforced. Now I hear they make it even harder to get a license, apparently now (in CT at least not sure about other places) you have to get a learner's permit for 6 months before you are eligible for a grown up license even if you are over the age of 18. My buddy's girlfriend is trying to get her license for the first time at the age of 24 and she had to get a permit first along with taking some silly drug and alcohol classes.

I was told that it's hard to walk around certain places in the US and that you need a car / taxi to get around. That was from some lecture in a Weight Management postgraduate course I studied in university.

Yeah I could not imagine not owning my own vehicle. I literally would not be able to survive. There is no public transportation near me except for one bus that comes twice a day on the other end of town. And the only place it brings you is Hartford (state capitol) so it is extremely unrealistic to try to rely on that to get anywhere unless you just so happen to work in downtown hartford and your job starts around the same time that bus gets there. If I wanted to call a taxi to bring me to where I work it would cost me about $65 each way. Paying that twice a day for 5 or 6 days a week would basically add up to my entire paycheck. Walking is cool and all but where I live there is nothing to walk to really. People around here that don't have a car are basically losers that don't do shit with their life

Well even a stickie thread in EADD with a link to this thread would have worked, but they have tons or stickies already and this didn't make the cut.

What I do every now-and-then is move this to EADD and then right back here, and I leave a redirect so they can see it and click on it like a normal thread as long as it lasts before moving back pages.

TBH I always thought that this was a shared thread in both NASADDASDADSDDAS and EADDDDD.

Last edited:
yeah idk why Im so rude to people sometimes, Germany could have won WW2 though

seriously, if they went about it slightly differently, Russia couldnt even beat Finland let alone the powerhouse that was the Third Reich. People dont even know how advanced German military technology was for its time until we stole it and used it in our military.

German aircraft were some of the most advanced in the war even until the end they just didnt have enough gas or pilots to fly them. Zeros were good for a little bit in Japan but not nearly durable enough compared to American aircraft. The Focke Wulf 190 was a fockken beast and the mere fact that they invested countless man hours and Reichsmarks into developing the Me 262 even as their world crumbled around them showed how arrogant and stubborn German people can be.

"well I mean, we already fuckin built half the thing might as well finish it...fuggin jet engine bro."

Not to mention they were giving all their soldiers meth, id feed an MG42 all fucking day if you gave me enough meth.

I just wish they didnt brutally murder so many people, makes it kind of hard to show empathy for their side when everything is all said and done. I'm still proud to be part German though, and if I had to pick one nationality to fully support, itd be that

holy shit there's 33 pages of a debate on this forum over the Focke Wulf 190 D-9 vs the P-51D Mustang.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/fw-190-dora-9-vs-p-51d-mustang-3151.html

history is so full of "what ifs"

its great

Last edited:
I mean, the Mustang probably had a far superior view for the pilot but I cant help but marvel at how damned streamlined they made this thing. talk about low profilin, if the landing gear was up you could cover this thing with your pinky finger if you held it out in a horizontal line in front of you

NSFW:
Fw_190_D-9_Silhouette.jpg

Is the song 'Skinny Love' by Birdy an older song that's just been covered by a lot of artists? Even her version is a few years old but it's taken a few years to travel across the pond. And is Birdy popular over there besides that one song?

Who? ;)

I'm not the best person to ask about current music mind... I spend all my time looking for music from the 60s-90s.

Supposedly it's a cover of a Bon Iver song, whoever he is...

Question... I know you have to be 21 to drink alcohol in the US & it's pretty strict but does that have any impact on what age you guys start drinking on average?

I mean, you have to be 18 to buy alcohol here as I'm sure you guys know but I started drinking at 15... I think most people here probably start drinking about 16-17 though.

Am I right in saying it is illegal for you to drink underage even on private premises (at home) or does that vary between states?

We are allowed to drink on private premises over the age of 5 technically... I think it's a bit of a grey area drinking at someone else's house if your parents are not present though, on the owner of the house though.

Is the song 'Skinny Love' by Birdy an older song that's just been covered by a lot of artists? Even her version is a few years old but it's taken a few years to travel across the pond. And is Birdy popular over there besides that one song?

It's a cover, and it was on the radio a year or two ago, but wasn't really super popular. And neither is birdy really

Who? ;)

I'm not the best person to ask about current music mind... I spend all my time looking for music from the 60s-90s.

Supposedly it's a cover of a Bon Iver song, whoever he is...

Question... I know you have to be 21 to drink alcohol in the US & it's pretty strict but does that have any impact on what age you guys start drinking on average?

I mean, you have to be 18 to buy alcohol here as I'm sure you guys know but I started drinking at 15... I think most people here probably start drinking about 16-17 though.

Am I right in saying it is illegal for you to drink underage even on private premises (at home) or does that vary between states?

We are allowed to drink on private premises over the age of 5 technically... I think it's a bit of a grey area drinking at someone else's house if your parents are not present though, on the owner of the house though.

It's definitely illegal to drink alcohol even on private property until you are 21, with the same grey area as with you, being that parents can let their own child drink, but no others, not even with permission from the other parents. We would always have parties when someones parents would go away and the cops would usually come through to break it up and give out a few underage drinking tickets. There is also this 'social host law in NY where parents can get in a lot of trouble if they are home while underage drinking is going on. This article sums up alcohol and the law.

New York Social Host Laws

Parents who serve alcohol to their children in their home need to understand they may serve ONLY their children. Social host laws in New York place criminal and civil liability on parents who allow underage drinking in their homes, even if they didn't supply the alcohol, even if the other parents gave their permission. Who really wants to be arrested in front of the whole neighborhood? Aside from being liable for any injury or damage that arises from the underage drinking, parents could face up to a year in jail and a $1,000 fine, so it's important to understand the social host laws fully.

As for when we start drinking, most experiment around grade 8, but it's not a regular occurrence until around grade 11, and by grade 12 it's a few weekends a month for most, then after that it's off to the races.

It's definitely illegal to drink alcohol even on private property until you are 21, with the same grey area as with you, being that parents can let their own child drink, but no others, not even with permission from the other parents. We would always have parties when someones parents would go away and the cops would usually come through to break it up and give out a few underage drinking tickets... As for when we start drinking, most experiment around grade 8, but it's not a regular occurrence until around grade 11, and by grade 12 it's a few weekends a month for most, then after that it's off to the races.

Sounds like you guys start drinking at a fairly similar age despite the difference in legal drinking ages.

I get the impression that the law is enforced a lot more strictly in the US? When I was in California at 17 they wouldn't let me try a taster of champagne at the Korbel Winery. On the flipside, back in Scotland I'd had tasters of Whisky, or at least been offered, when I was around 14/15 if not younger. I think they know most kids would take a sip & spit it out though! :D (perhaps not anymore though, we are talking just over 10 years ago now... health & safety as well as fear of fines/prosecution seems to have made things a lot stricter in general over the years.)

If anyone has any burning questions about Scotland, I'm the man to ask.

If anyone has any burning questions about Scotland, I'm the man to ask.
I read some article that stated the government is trying to impose limits on discounted alcohol. Meaning they don't want the stores to have great bargains and deals on booze? Are you familiar with this or do you think it's crap?

Most of the addicts in my recovery group want the deals removed as some of them have had alcohol addictions - and some, extremely good people, have lost their children to it. It's such a shame because they are lovely people and watching them being torn apart isn't nice to see. They were complaining about these deals as of course people are going to choice the deals for instance instead of 12 cans for £20 they'd get 20 for £20, that's an example by the way so please don't take those figures at face value.

Sorry I've nothing else to say as I'd be a hypocrite having drinking wine at the moment.

Take care,

Evey

I read some article that stated the government is trying to impose limits on discounted alcohol. Meaning they don't want the stores to have great bargains and deals on booze? Are you familiar with this or do you think it's crap?

I'm not entirely sure. I just looked it up & supposedly we can't get multi-buy discounts on alcohol. I can't say I've ever seen any such offers anyway.

I do know they are trying to set a minimum price for alcohol. 50p per unit.

There is a particular problem with the likes of 'Frosty Jacks', a 3 litre bottle of cider with a whopping 22.5 units for around £3-4. That would cost £11.25 if that came into effect.

Most of the addicts in my recovery group want the deals removed as some of them have had alcohol addictions - and some, extremely good people, have lost their children to it. It's such a shame because they are lovely people and watching them being torn apart isn't nice to see. They were complaining about these deals as of course people are going to choice the deals for instance instead of 12 cans for £20 they'd get 20 for £20, that's an example by the way so please don't take those figures at face value.

Wow that is such bullshit. Blaming stores for their addictions basically? They'll be kicking themselves in the ass when they fall off the wagon anyway and then pay the higher price. No price is too high for something when you really really want it.

Wow that is such bullshit. Blaming stores for their addictions basically? They'll be kicking themselves in the ass when they fall off the wagon anyway and then pay the higher price. No price is too high for something when you really really want it.

Same goes for illegal drugs and dealers. I know some people that had some of their own dealers when they were using, then after quitting for a while and beginning to use again they had lost their connects and so were forced to go through middlemen and pay extra in doing so.

At first they didn't mind as they justified it with the thought that by paying more it was limiting the amount of drugs that they were doing. But after getting deeper into their addiction again and using more often the 'tax' that they were paying by going through the middleman starts to add up a lot, and so they begin to seek out their own connections again.

Same goes for illegal drugs and dealers. I know some people that had some of their own dealers when they were using, then after quitting for a while and beginning to use again they had lost their connects and so were forced to go through middlemen and pay extra in doing so.

At first they didn't mind as they justified it with the thought that by paying more it was limiting the amount of drugs that they were doing. But after getting deeper into their addiction again and using more often the 'tax' that they were paying by going through the middleman starts to add up a lot, and so they begin to seek out their own connections again.

Ugh, this exact thing is starting to happen to me again... I got rid of all my dope dealers a while ago when I got clean, and now I'm paying stupid amounts of money for oxy far too often because it's the only thing I can reliably get.

And honestly that happens to some extent here too. Not specifically the price but if something is deemed too strong or dangerous. Remember how a few years ago there were all of those alcohol energy drinks on the market like Sparks and Tilt and the like, then 4loko came out and college girls were ending up in the hospital after having like one of them so they made it illegal to make anything of the sort, regardless of the fact that that one particular brand was just too much. Pe4ople just have no self control and somehow that's everyone else's fault except for the idiot who actually drank the damn thing...

most alcohol from France is overpriced because the target audience wants it to be overpriced so they can tell people how much the bottle cost them

Pinnacle is alright but would I buy it over Platinum 7?

not these colors baby, never mind the fact that France and America share the same national colors

I'll second that. I work at a company that sells foreign car parts, specializing in Euro car parts, and I would not say reliable at all. BMWs are great comfortable cars that are awesome to drive, but they tend to break a lot.

Same goes for Volvo. I would say that there are only two types of people in North America that should drive European cars: those wealthy enough to afford the repairs and those with enough knowledge to do their own repairs and maintenance.