• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Generic vs. Name Brand

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. what dictates the Pharmacy's desision of giving you generic or name brand?

Nothing in particular, just the pharmacist trying to save you money be it from insurance or from your pocket that your paying them. If you don't have medical coverage the best option of course is to get the generics, but if you do have insurance then it cannot hurt to ask for the brand name.

2. what are the differences between them?

Personally I get prescribed clonazepam 2mg and clonidine 0.1mg for the past 4 years and I have never noticed any physical/mental effects being potentated by the fact that it was generic or brand name.

Brand names have the writing (CLONAZEPAM) on the pill while the generic has combinations of (APO C-2) and such (without the word Clonazepam) written on them.

The only thing I find is that the brand name for clonazepam is very hard to break into halves for example while the generic breaks like butter. [/QUOTE/]

While it's true that your brand name clonazepam has that imprinted into the tablet, it actually isn't an indication of being brand name. I have generics made by a company called Pharmascience/PMS here in Canada, these also have clonazepam stamped on the backside of the tablet.

^i have clonazepam stamped on my dickfor.

And i hate to break it to ya but brand name clonazepam, if it is Klonopin is a circle with a K punched out the middle.. same with valium but with a V.. but you said you're in Canada so it could be diff.

Anyone care to answer what the difference between generic and brand name opana (oxymorphone) is, since my thread was merged with this one?

I know for a fact there is a difference in consistency, I want to know if there is a difference in potency when snorted.

Until I came across Mylan, I believed people when they said that generics are equal to the name brand, and that generics are equivalent to each other. I found this to be VERY untrue. I was prescribed .5 mg Clonazepam 2x daily, manufacturer being Teva. One of these would easily handle my anxiety issues, yet when I was prescribed 1mg Mylan, half or even a FULL one wouldn't have the same effect. You might think it may be tolerance, but when I got my next refill from another pharmacy that carried Teva, again one half would be enough to help manage my anxiety. I can take two of the Mylans to the same effect of 1, maybe even half a Teva. My last prescription was Actavis (purepac), and although, like Mylan, the tablets are hard and rounded pressed, I find them to be about as effective as Teva (3x more than Mylan). Whether its different fillers or how they break down, etc, I don't know but I have observed what I consider to be substantial enough variation in effects to personally determine Mylan makes horrible Clonazepam.

Just reading up on this stuff...

I have too received the Teva generic of 1mg clonazepam, but now have 15 1mg Mylans instead.

I ate one Mylan and noticed it felt like nothing was kicking in, then I ate another 30 min later, and now, about 1.5 hours later, I'd say 2mg Mylan feels like worser / almost completely different drug than a single 1mg Teva.

This is the first and only generic issue I've ever noticed. :\

P.S. This is after a complete 2-week abstinence, so I doubt tolerance is factoring in.

If you don't want generic drugs, tell your doctor to write the brand name on the prescription and *do not substitute*. Remind the pharmacist by telling him you don't want generics.
That way you should always get the brand names.

Just keep getting the generic man no need to pay more for the same pill. Anyone who comes on here ranting about brand names being stronger truly does not know what there talking about

Not true; the only constituent in a pill is not the ionic salt of the drug alone; but talc and upwards of dozens of other filler that can dictate how the drug and at what speed for what routes the ionic salt within the pill does ultimately enter your bloodstream.

Until someone shows me evidence of pharmacokinetic differences due to inactive ingredients, I shall remain incredulous and although we tried to make a place for this discussion, ultimately it remains speculative and worthless. I don't see harm reduction value here so I'm going to close this.

If anyone feels that this is needed in OD, please PM me and let me know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.