• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc GBL and its effects on the body

juninho999

Greenlighter
Firstly I apologise if this in the wrong place, (tried to put it in other drugs but it wouldn't allow me to choose that pre-fix) mods feel free to remove to a more appropriate area if necessary

I have been using gbl for aprox 3 years, mostly 24/7 with some breaks of the odd month here and there, my recent habit was at the 12-15ml / day level.

It has now been 8 days since my last hit, and after a hellish withdrawal done cold turkey except for booze (red wine) I feel as if I'm through it now, and never want to return to this awful chemical again.

I have read that using gbl and during the withdrawal period it can have detrimental effects on the body, blood pressure, acitosis, pottasium levels etc.

I would like to go to a doctor for a general health check, blood tests etc as I am in my late 40's and haven't visited a doctor in 20 years.
I don't wish to divulge my previous use of gbl, but at the same time don't want to be misdiagnosed due to any lingering after effects from gbl.

My question is how long should I wait before going to the doctor ?
How long before any after effects of gbl will correct themselves ?

Hope someone can help me ?

And to all you gbl users, IT CAN BE DONE, you just have to want it enough.

Love Light & Peace to you all

Last edited:
I'd personally go to the doctor asap. I'm pretty sure alcohol might have prolonged your withdrawals. GHB/GBL both work on GABA receptors, right? Just like Benzos and alcohol.

You might want to research the withdrawals from GBL before jumping off cold turkey, could result in seizures and what not (if it's Working on GABA receptors)

^ You may wanna actually read the thread, Benwise... he's already off the GBL. There's no reason to expect seizures or anything like that at this stage. Acidosis, elevated blood pressure etc are all basically the "withdrawal symptoms" of GHB usage and shouldn't re-appear suddenly... once you discontinue GHB or analogs you get them for a few days and then you're back to normal.

If you're on day 8 of no GBL then you're well past the acute phase of withdrawals and can basically just get a regular physical examination/check-up. Most if not all of the GBL will be out of your system.
Fortunately GHB is pretty safe even in chronic usage, so as long as you managed to sweat through the first couple days of withdrawal you should be physically OK. I'd wager you'd be in better shape than someone who consumed an equivalent amount of alcohol.

^ You may wanna actually read the thread, Benwise... he's already off the GBL. There's no reason to expect seizures or anything like that at this stage. Acidosis, elevated blood pressure etc are all basically the "withdrawal symptoms" of GHB usage and shouldn't re-appear suddenly... once you discontinue GHB or analogs you get them for a few days and then you're back to normal.

If you're on day 8 of no GBL then you're well past the acute phase of withdrawals and can basically just get a regular physical examination/check-up. Most if not all of the GBL will be out of your system.
Fortunately GHB is pretty safe even in chronic usage, so as long as you managed to sweat through the first couple days of withdrawal you should be physically OK. I'd wager you'd be in better shape than someone who consumed an equivalent amount of alcohol.

Sorry for assuming gaba-related drugs have longer withdrawal periods than 8 days? And the person has been drinking red wine. If you drink while going through benzo withdrawal, does it postpone withdrawals?

yes? Oh I thought so. Thanks.

You might want to read my post. I'm insinuating that alcohol might have taken away his withdrawals and he hasn't fully gone through them yet.

Drugs that act at GABA-A (benzos, barbs) and those that act at GABA-B (GHB) are different classes of drugs, with different effects and different withdrawal symptoms. For instance phenibut doesn't substitute for alprazolam very well.

Alcohol won't fully substitute for GHB (it hits a lot of other places), it doesn't magically just move withdrawals to a later date with GHB analogs, and whats more the acute withdrawal phase of GHB usage is not particularly long... you're not going to suddenly have seizures after a week. If you were you'd have them soon after discontinuing GBL (it doesn't have a long half life so withdrawal will set in quick & be fairly transient).

Thanks for all your advice, the withdrawal lasted a full 5 days, the first few days were he'll on earth, I never had shakes or sweats just massive uncontrollable anxiety, I've withdrawn before quite easily but with the aid of benzos and baclofen. this time I had nothing but wine, I would like to etch those first few days in to my memory so I never return to this chemical, everyday gets better now and I feel like a new person, will make that doctors appointment today

go get a checkup asap, no since in waiting..im not saying anything is wrong but how do you feel in general now?when you were using Gbl 24/7 were you functional?did you feel like shit or notice any changes in energy or well-being that entire time..im very familiar with gbl and ghb but have never used it 24/7 so im curious to see how chronic use affects a person..i went to a doctor recently and was diagnosed with rhabdomyolsis but its impossible to say whether the Gbl caused it or not..

also, if Gbl is such an awful chemical then why did you start taking it all the time?was the addiction that strong?

Belfort I say awful chemical because I became a slave to it, I loved the effect it had on me, still do, that's the worrying thing, I never felt particularly bad on it and on the whole I was perfectly functional apart from the odd occasions when I went over 12ml/day.

The problem is between two of us we have to buy it in bulk, minimum 1 litre at a time, this means I have 500ml lying round the house, I just haven't got the will power to not keep taking a hit for that lovely mood lift, my friend isn't so bad and has agreed that if I want to use again he will meter out 20ml doses to me at weekends/special occasions only.

We are both careful we use 1ml pipettes to get exact doses and I would text to an imaginary no. on my phone every time I had a hit, never passed out in public and always loved it the most when I was going out.

But 24/7 cant be good for you, there's plenty of threads out there that explain why, I think the depletion of pottasium to convert in your body to ghb is one of them, and that has a knock on effect to all aspects of your general health. Also only being able to sleep for max 4 hours before having to get up in the night for another hit.

I had to accept I was a junkie and I hated myself for that, also lying to my gf, friends telling them I wasn't using e.t.c.