• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Gay men banning hetro's and lesbians from their 'gay' club... WTF ?

breakyaself

Bluelighter
Ok as the title reads this is a discussion on your thoughts about banning hetrosexuals from gay clubs. From the title of the thread its fairly evident my own opinion that I hold. I was absolutely shocked when I found out that hetrosexuals could be banned from a gay club purely for the fact that they are hetrosexual. The first club to able to do this is the Peel club in Collingwood , Melbourne

What sort of test would they do to determine who was gay and who wasnt ? And can I be the one to administer it ? ;)

Is it justified ? I read in an article that they said it was because bucks nights come into the Peel club and antagonise the homosexuals for being homosexual. I just find it incredible that someone can be kicked out based on their sexuality, isnt this the type of discrimination homosexuals fought against ? I seriously think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

Discuss.

Yeah that was my first reaction as well and then I heard that apparently the straights have been being assholes to the gay community so that being the case I say fair enougjh.

i'm completely fine with it

and no, i'm not of the "well, if you have your gay bar, i want my fucking hetero bar now" frame of thought. if your night out can only be enjoyable by hanging around members of your own sexual persuasion, then more power to you.

i'd just love to know how the fuck you enforce something like that.
gaydar at the door?

Yeah i got the impression its not as hard and fast rule as the media would like to make out..........more an ability for the club to say no or boot out without fear of being hit with a law suit

from what I heard in the 30 second grab on triple j news, it was not a "we are not letting any heterosexuals in at all ever" sort of thing, but more of a "we are not letting anyone in who we feel is going to be a threat to our patrons - where a lot of the time that is drunken straight people out to be dickheads"

I'm 100% against the first sort of rule, but I definitely agree with the second sort of rule.

Straight people killed Oxford St. Mardi Gras anyway. I've never been in such a dodgy environment - Oxford St. was worse on Mardi Gras night than most of the city is on New Years.

preacha said:

and no, i'm not of the "well, if you have your gay bar, i want my fucking hetero bar now" frame of thought. if your night out can only be enjoyable by hanging around members of your own sexual persuasion, then more power to you.

gaydar at the door?

I'd say it's pretty obvious when a buck's party or similarly testosterone charged group of men is out to heckle fags. It's the bouncers' job to keep people like that out.

preacha said:

gaydar at the door?

Wow, I actually agree. (as long as you're not being sarcastic as always) I think everyone should have the right to be able to go out and feel comfortable and safe in a party environment without being harrsssed because of their sexuality.

I can however see the side against it and people seeing it as being hypocritical.

Well. I suppose if it's classified as a private club then they can do what they want.

It's like the British Legion for example. They won't let you in if you don't belong to the legion.

It's a private club - so that's fine.

If the place is listed as a public house, on the other hand, well then it could rightly be classed as discrimination on basis of sexuality - not cool regardless of what end of the spectrum the discrimination comes from.

Just my thoughts!

I don't think it's a bad thing that they want to stop social groups from treating these kinds of venue's as if they're a form of entertainment.

It would be nice if it was possible to stop straight crowds who appear to be having a social function from entering, as opposed to straight people all-together. However, with these things, it's generally either all or nothing... so if this is the way it must be, then so be it.

If gay people are feeling segregated in environments that are formed to promote networking, then I think their rights should triumph over any straight persons feelings.

That said, it does mean that heteros are getting less exposure, and there's less of an opportunity to build the bridge between straights vs. gays.

Regardless, I don't think that this is a bad move. Forcing gay people to associate with straight people doesn't create a harmonious relationship, anyhow. Since it IS a gay venue, gay people should surely be the priority!

*news flash*
the Peel club used to have these sort of entry rules at least ten years ago when I lived i Melbourne
8)
....it's not new, I can remember pople talking about it even then. So they have entry requirements based on something other than dress.....so what? It's a club and if you can't get in then maybe you need to look for music and mates elsewhere, geez, not such a problem when you are living in Melbourne given th large number of clubs, nights and general places to hang out. Places discriminate on the basis of dress all the time and the Peel and other such places are just being a bit more definitive as to who they would like to come in or not, if you aren't welcome why the hell would you want to be there? There are plenty of clubs in the world that accept you no matter what you wear or what your sexuality is and make no issue of it.
:)

Its not a private club though, its a public bar. And yes Gays should be made a priority... but not exclusively.

Ill make it an issue when I am being discriminated against. What if I have a gay friend who is holding their birthday there.. or even just a few friendly drinks.. and I cant go ?

None of you have mentioned the fact that they have banned lesbians too... can someone address this ?

the dudes at the door at that place have always had the ultimate say....I always figured if my friend was having a party there it would be sorted out if need be without the need for them to let eveyone in no matter what. Most of us who used to try and go were just looking for a late night drinking venue close to home on a night when other stuff wasn't going on so I figure if they wanted to say bugger off to us they were within their rights, wasn't like we were loyal customers or anything and the line outside was big enough that if they had of let some people in other people who really had something to offer may have missed out on entry....there was always somewhere else to be. That said the best gay clubs I have been to in Tokyo operate on the idea that if you found them then you were with someone who knew them and were welcome or you were meant to be there....maybe it is because Melbourne is actually an inbetweeny city, nearly big but not quit big enough to suppot truly independnt scenes which adds to it's creative juices........
:)

From what I've heard it is, as Gher said, more of a 'if you look like trouble we ain't letting you in.' Which sounds to me like every other drinking establishment in Collingwood. Well, maybe not Barry's.

But I ALSO was told a fag mate of mine had difficultly getting into Peel and was told 'normally we wouldn't let you in.' because he looked straight. I'm not sure about the validity of this rumour, last I checked he was as limp wristed as a wilted daisy.

The rumour mill is wild as per. I'm not that wild about the Peel but just to divide truth from rumour I might make a visit. I wonder if they have a 'gay quiz' perhaps?

[Edit]

Heres some links: The Age and Aunty

Last edited:
breakyaself said:
Ill make it an issue when I am being discriminated against. What if I have a gay friend who is holding their birthday there.. or even just a few friendly drinks.. and I cant go ?

None of you have mentioned the fact that they have banned lesbians too... can someone address this ?

if you have a gay friend who is holding his birthday at peel and has invited you to a place he knows you can't enter.......maybe he's trying to subtlely tell you something?

breakyaself said:

Well that's the thing precisely: for you it's just a good time, but for many gay people, a lot of their life is dependant on venues such as The Peel.

It's not like gay people bump into each other on the street on a daily basis; they need these kind of places to build relationships with their sexual preference - you have that opportunity just about anywhere.

Chaos Butterfly said:
from what I heard in the 30 second grab on triple j news, it was not a "we are not letting any heterosexuals in at all ever" sort of thing, but more of a "we are not letting anyone in who we feel is going to be a threat to our patrons - where a lot of the time that is drunken straight people out to be dickheads"

I'm 100% against the first sort of rule, but I definitely agree with the second sort of rule.

Bingo, IMO. And gays can be retarded. I was in the Columbian in Sydney with a good girl friend and we were pissed and macking on each other a bit and several gay guys told us to get out and/or respect that it's a gay venue. Fuck off. We weren't shagging on the bar, you didn't have to look at a vagina, we weren't threatening to beat you up, get the fuck over it and embrace the equality you bitch about so much. If i was in a gay club and saw a straight couple have a quick pash I wouldn't think it was anything but sweet.

I don't have a problem with it.

I have a problem with gay men and their close mindedness. I went to a gay club once with my girl, it was a friends of hers birthday, anyway I got a little uncomfortable being there, I kept getting "checked out" and while I knew it was going to happen it still made me feel uneasy, so I left my girl there and went somewhere else. On the way out I gave my girl a bit of a kiss and shit man, the perves turned to evils in an instant - Like others say, they want equality, they want acceptance, but they're the last people on earth to offer the things they're striving so hard to achieve...

Chaos Butterfly said:

The problem I have is who determines this, and how ? Obviously it leaves the door open for a huge amount of discrimination against someone because of how they look or act, and often based on their sexuality.

I am not down with hypocricy people.