• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Gay Marriage - Should they be allowed to say I Do?!?

Should gay marriage be allowed?

• Yes

Votes: 38 80.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 19.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone should get married so I'm definitely opposed to gay marriages. ;)

Gay relationships are recognised as defacto now aren't they? As defacto's what rights don't they get compared to actually being married?

onetwothreefour said:

Fair comment (or smiley ;)). But reading different opinions makes the debate more interesting yeah?

I think so anyway.

Am too tired and depressed from studying to have an opinion myself about anything at the moment. My brain is not working.

up all night said:
I don't think anyone should get married so I'm definitely opposed to gay marriages. ;)

Gay relationships are recognised as defacto now aren't they? As defacto's what rights don't they get compared to actually being married?

As far as I understand it, de facto couples have the same legal rights as married couples.

I feel this is more of a gay rights issue, as in gay couples wanting the same rights as other couples, more so than actually wanting to get married.

If marriage is an institution of the church, and that's the reason gay people shouldn't marry each other, then ALL marriages outside of a church environment should also be banned. No one should be married in court, in a garden, at the beach or in Vegas.

^^ church isn't meant in the literal sense, it's meant as the representation of the christian faith. i could say synagogue, or temple, doesn't really matter i suppose.

Well on that basis, anyone who's not of a particular religious persuasion shouldn't be allowed to get married.

That's the problem with the church. Two athiests could get married in the back of a bus and the church still believes it has some right to their vows. I guess the issue I have is that perfectly faithful, loving, honest Christian gay men could really want to get married and "the church" would shun them, but an agnostic child molester and his athiest prostitute girlfriend could decide to get married and there would be no problems.

I understand that "the church" is losing its once-iron grasp on society, but the way to get people to revive the faith is not to go about discriminating against huge groups of people. And I don't see that it's fair or democratic to pass a law for all religions in Australia based on the belief system of whoever happens to be the leader at the time (or the person he happens to be brown-nosing).

anna! said:
Well on that basis, anyone who's not of a particular religious persuasion shouldn't be allowed to get married.

Damn right - not if that marriage has to be recognised by some religious institute for it to ba valid.

Last edited:
homosexual relationships in australia do not have the same "rights" as de facto heterosexual relationships.

homosexual couples are not legally allowed to adopt children, however a singel homosexual person may adopt and have another homosexual person in the house, but it is unlikely that the adoption department will allow it.

also lesbians in victoria are not legally allowed access to assisted reproduction therapies. ie. cannot make use of assited insemination. and many go over the border to make use of NSW laws.

Hmmm. I belive that people should be able to live as they choose, and that gay rights are way behind where they should be, and this will be the way it continues untill the men in power wake up and realise that the old values dont work anymore.

keystroke said:
1 in 3 normal marriages fail anyway, I bet the odds wouldnt be so high in gay marriages.

i think not... my gay friends have just as much trouble in their relationships as my straight friends.

my 2c - i think the marriage thing is okay... the adoption and raising of children though would be questionable.. but then again, that's a whole nother thread isn't it... :\

Originally posted by BREAKaBEAT
I was just about to write the exact same thing (i think)

I think that the state and church should be separated as well which forms part of my argument.

There is no way that gay marriages should be allowed to go ahead unless they are completely separated from the religious ceremony.

biut marriage isn't just a religous ceremony or recognisatoin anymore! obviouslth at's what it began as, but nowadays it has almost entirely transcended the boundaris of any sanctioned relgion. though there would certainly exists some religions which make particular rules or conditions surrounding marriage, most people get married iregardless of their relgiion (or lack thereof).

for sure, power to thopse who don't want to get marriage because they dislike what the whole foundation of marriage is, but that doesn't discount the fact that regarldess of relgious beliefsthe common way, in western society, to show the love and devotion (in terms of a life-time) within a relationship is through the vows of marriage. and thus; marriage no longer exists just as a social/religious construct.

ps: i'm drunk :)

onetwothreefour said:
ps: i'm drunk :)

^^ and it's sooooo not obvious

name the last couple you know that didn't get married by some representative of a particular religion

I reckon the debate of gay marriage is really a waste of time actually. It seems ppl are happy to have their attention diverted to pretty trivial and petty debates rather than focus on what is really goin on in this world. Should gay ppl get married? Who fucken gives a fly toss? Matrimony isn't worth the paper it's written on. As my old man once told me "marriage is an institution...who wants to get institutionalised?!"

Well I guess western civilization will always be complacent and fuckheaded as long as we have these left wing whingers focusing on interest groups rather than ever doin anything for the collective.

Peace Out

^
|
|
oooh, preacha, i can answer that, my friends were married by a ship's captain. they felt that they were closer to the sea than to any organised religion.

one of the primary reasons a lot of homosexual couples would like to be married is so that they can enjoy the same benefits as heterosexual couples. be that house insurance, bank acounts, superannuation payouts.

what are the main reasons that heterosexual couples wish to be married? to show their faith and love for each other in front of friends and loved ones. "dearly beloved we are gathered here today to whitness the joining of two hearts... yada yada yada"
why should homosexual couples not be allowed the same right, priviledge or whatever you want to call it, as heterosexual couples?

DD: i would like you to copy that down and give it to a friend. if you ever get married then they can read it out to see if you really want to be institutionalised... and do you consider "interest groups" not to be part of the collective? jeez wouldn't it be great if everyone were a closed minded right wing biggot.8) if you were a homosexual i'm pretty sure you wouldn't find debates relating to your equallity trivial and petty.

^^ dude, you can be given power to marry people over the internet, but that power is still granted by a religious organisation as well as being registered with the government.

in this case, the captain was given the power to be a marriage officiant. this is an example of that.

however, pm me if no such religious words were used, because i'm pretty sure there usually is.

on another note, according to the census, Jedi Knights are an actual religious sect recognised by the government due to the amount of people who wrote that under 'religion' on the census. cool shit.

on another note, according to the census, Jedi Knights are an actual religious sect recognised by the government due to the amount of people who wrote that under 'religion' on the census. cool shit.

It's not actually, all the people who write Jedi got categorised into the section of other groups who didn't adequatley describe their religion. In the 2001 census, there were 352000 people in this category, of which 75000 listed jedi or star wars.

(hurrah, I've learnt something at uni ;) yay for sociology)

name the last couple you know that didn't get married by some representative of a particular religion

And sorry to pick on you again dude ;) but...

Category of celebrant

In 2002 marriages performed by civil celebrants again outnumbered marriages performed by ministers of religion. This trend commenced in 1999 when 51% of all marriages were performed by civil celebrants. By 2002 this proportion had increased to 55%. Twenty years ago only 39% of marriages were performed by civil celebrants.

From Aust Bureau of stats

So, judging by that, it's pretty clear that marriage is moving further and further away from its ties with the Church all the time.

I personally think marriage has a lot less to do with religious beliefs and more to do with showing your committment to one particular person. So why shouldn't a gay couple have every right to express this committment in a legal sense, if that's what they desire?

Love has no colour, age, gender, religion or sexuality. I don't know why in this day and age anyone wants or needs to get married but if they want to they should have a right to.

Beautifully put doofqueen...

It isn't about a church policy in the end, it comes down to a narrow minded view by a head of state to intent on making his country the america of the southern hemisphere. John howard openly states his position against homosexual marrige then in the same breath says "but you can collect their super if they die....WTF......

He makes me sick, a pathetic attempt to placate a minority group, hoping to stem any backlash that may be experienced through his degradation of them.

ravebuddha

Status
Not open for further replies.