• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin 'vs' Pregabalin

Mighty-oak

Bluelighter
It seems Gabapentin and Pregabalin are very much the same in actions. Pregabalin seems to be far more potent with less side effects. What is the general opion on these drugs for social anxiety/agoraphobia?

They can reduce anxiety longterm and don't have the same dependence issues as benzodiazepines (they have very little action on GABA). They are basically the same drug though. They also work wonders for sleep.

I would hope that you might use them as a tool to work through your anxiety issues however.

Ive had doctors tell me they are the same drug. What is really true is they have the same mechanism in the brain; they block voltage gated calcium pathways in the brain and by some partially misunderstood method reason, increase GABA levels. In reality pregabalin has a much higher BA and it's mostly due to this that overall effects are felt more distinctively and are more pronounced. When you then take into account that Gabapentin has very sensitive absorption properties you then begin to understand why dosing it regularly will have slightly unpredictable results. Tolerance builds so quickly in these drugs after a few days you wont feel them working anymore. The difference is sp drastic in oral BA that the US DEA has Pregabalin schedule V while gabapentin isnt scheduled at all.

Im prescribed heaps of this shit as well.

Im on 800mg of gabapentin 5x a day now and i get the entire script in a 90day supply. Maximum dosage of Lyrica is 600mg/day so I couldnt get an equivalent dose.

In my opinion, its extremely effective for generalized anxiety for a short duration, comparable to proper administration of benzodiazepines. Some studies have linked gabapentin with shutting down alpha waves in the brain. I dont think any conclusive evidence exists but i feel smarter but im positive im not lol.Cognitively taking it definitely feels "deadening" in a way lol.

You dont wanna stay on a high dose forever. Withdrawal is pure evil. Physically yeah you'll feel horrible, but mental withdrawal from gabapentin introduces a host of symptoms everyone should be aware of before taking it regularly. Depersonalization is VERY uncomfortable. Extreme irrational fears and terrifying panic attacks. Dreams become hundreds of times more vivid...

For a lot of people including myself though, they are a wonder drug for anxiety. Tolerance builds extremely fast but for the first two or three days of moderately high gabapentin doses (>1.6g) you'll feel a huge relief of anxiety with pulsing waves of euphoria. It has more effect than microdosing MDMA. It makes me feel so good at times I cant even begin to describe. It cures opiate withdrawal and helps me be a consistently top producing salesman. Its a truly effective "non-narcotic" painkiller. Keep in mind only probably around a quarter of chemicals labeled "narcotics" get you as fucked up as neurontin or lyrica. For me, it helps my pain tremendously as it literally blocks some of my pain signals. It truly is my limitless pill...

As its SO widely prescribed you'll find many ppl in here that will say the same things, but the gabapentin withdrawal megathread is huge.

Sorry for the wall of text, i dosed 5g of neurontin and it just kicked in like a rocketship. Things make you chatty as hell lol...

Last edited:
Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica) are indeed useful and even recreational drugs. There are a couple of important points to note. While the end effects are almost indistinguishable when taken in equipotent doses, Gabapentin's bioavailability fluctuations are make it an inferior drug in comparison to Pregabalin. A large meal, high in lipid content is required to get the most effect out of Gabapentin, which, when dopesick, can be quite a challenge.

Other than that small caveat, both drugs are pretty similar in both their recreational and utilitarian purposes. One must be pretty careful about tolerance however, as it can rise exponentially with repeated recreational dosages within a short period of time. There's nothing stopping a person from gobbling down a month's worth of either in 3-5 days. Take it from someone who's been there and done it. If you have an addictive personality, it would be wise to give your prescription to a trusted person and have them divvy it out weekly (~2 days of getting high, followed by 3-5 days of recovery and tolerance reversal).

Damn 'Chase', 800mg po x5? That's a nifty little dose of Gabapentin.

I am also prescribed pregabalin for RLS, but i rarely use it for that. I like to take around 300mg for fun every 4 to 5 days. It is fantastic for social situations and sex, and the euphoria is incredible. Thankfully with 4 to 5 days of recovery in between doses, i still get the same effect without tolerance issues. I also tend to take 30mg of DXM with it just because it seems to potentiate it ever so slightly. I would never take more than 30mg of DXM with it though because the DXM tends to add a slight stimulatory effect with it, which i am only a fan of if its subtle. Overall, one of my favourite drugs.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) and Pregabalin (Lyrica) are indeed useful and even recreational drugs. There are a couple of important points to note. While the end effects are almost indistinguishable when taken in equipotent doses, Gabapentin's bioavailability fluctuations are make it an inferior drug in comparison to Pregabalin. A large meal, high in lipid content is required to get the most effect out of Gabapentin, which, when dopesick, can be quite a challenge.

Other than that small caveat, both drugs are pretty similar in both their recreational and utilitarian purposes. One must be pretty careful about tolerance however, as it can rise exponentially with repeated recreational dosages within a short period of time. There's nothing stopping a person from gobbling down a month's worth of either in 3-5 days. Take it from someone who's been there and done it. If you have an addictive personality, it would be wise to give your prescription to a trusted person and have them divvy it out weekly (~2 days of getting high, followed by 3-5 days of recovery and tolerance reversal).

Damn 'Chase', 800mg po x5? That's a nifty little dose of Gabapentin.

Yes sir it surely is. Ridiculous actually. My doc has me taking three throughout the day and a fourth for nighttime. He added a fifth only when I basically made an airtight case for Soma (or at least some muscle relaxant variant of his choice) and he flat out agreed with me and refused due to previous drug abuse issues. Me and my neurologist get close to shouting matches. He always forgets how bad my c spine is. Last time he pulled up my MRI and almost brought me to tears with how quickly after he told me "You have the C6 of an 80year old man" he said "Im NOT writing you ANYTHING."

Gabapentin is my crutch.

I am also prescribed pregabalin for RLS, but i rarely use it for that. I like to take around 300mg for fun every 4 to 5 days. It is fantastic for social situations and sex, and the euphoria is incredible. Thankfully with 4 to 5 days of recovery in between doses, i still get the same effect without tolerance issues. I also tend to take 30mg of DXM with it just because it seems to potentiate it ever so slightly. I would never take more than 30mg of DXM with it though because the DXM tends to add a slight stimulatory effect with it, which i am only a fan of if its subtle. Overall, one of my favourite drugs.

Gabapentin is good for sex, would you say as in increasing your sex drive as my sex drive is really low!

I wouldnt say that it increases my sex drive, but it makes orgasming amazing.

If you need help with your sex drive, phenibut makes me horny as a motherfucker. Its HIGHLY addictive though, so if youre going to use it, space out your dosages with several days in between.

I find gabapentin extremely addictive for some reason. Granted it could just be because I am depressed with limited access to drugs and it is around. But yeah I ate an entire 90 pill 300mg script in 9 days. One of those days I must have taken 30 pills. I am sure I have some nasty withdrawals coming.

It seems Gabapentin and Pregabalin are very much the same in actions. Pregabalin seems to be far more potent with less side effects. What is the general opion on these drugs for social anxiety/agoraphobia?
I use gabapentin for nerve damage

It's good to know that. I had progressed to a number four. My GP sent me back to a number three and it was still too much of a side effect. My effect was super drunkenness. This may be totally ineffective. my need for this type medication is due to excessive nerve damage in my legs because of multiple surgeries.

I'll contact my GP and discuss the other medication.

Thanks for the tip: ferhs

So there not related chemically like GBL & GHB or codeine & morphine, in the pro drug sense of the word.
I see the pregablins come in 75s and the gapabentins come in 100s, both in capsules.
How in the world is pregabalin at 300mg when 75mg already gives me nausea. Its more like the effects of Baclofen but more manageable as in I've never taken it without major nausea and throwing up at least not until the day after, 35mg-40mg a very most. And no Baclofen and GHB don't feel similar at all, even in a million years! I still don't like how GHB is compared to alcohol, but if you have to be fair I guess you could, just it offers much more to the experience than alcohol simply doesn't.
btw,, I still look back at just 0.5mg Xanax and 1/2 75mg Lyrica to equal a nice time with an added much welcome punch