• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin: The best pain med ever or is it my methadone being potentiated?

CfZrx

Bluelighter
Holy shit boys! I have tried gabapentin and I'm amaaaazed. My cervical pain has disappeared, but I do wonder if its the GP, or the combo of methadone and GP that does this? By night time, or if I really overwork myself, I still feel pain, but for the majority of the day I am golden! Anyone else had experience with gabapentin for pain?

I think its the combo, I remember GP being really popular at my clinic and I've heard others on BL say so too. some people get a a lot out of gp on its own, I'm not one of them unless I spend all day taking it every hour lol. but I think even more people take It in synergy with opioids . could go either way man. I'm more than positive the methadone is producing a nice synergy though, but not potentiating in the technical sense.

Last edited:
I think its the combo, I remember GP being really popular at my clinic and I've heard others on BL say so too. some people get a a lot out of gp on its own, I'm not one of them unless I spend all day taking it every hour lol. but I think even more people take It in synergy with opioids . could go either way man. I'm more than positive the methadone is producing a nice synergy though, but not potentiating in the technical sense.
Thanks for a response :) I'm literally baffled by the absence of pain. Methadone by itself did that to a large extent, but now this is so strong I just feel like a normal person! I worry I will gain weight, but since I take seroquel, a year ago I made myself eat no sugar, no bread, no corn, no sweeteners, no fruit etc and have lost weight! Let's hope I can remain thin!

Last edited:
how much GP are you taking ? I would have to take around 2-4 grams before I felt anything by itself. but when I did feel, although subtle they were very desirable. like just a general great mood and some social anxiety relief without a Benzo or drunk like slump. that would be EXACTLY what would go perfect for a methadone high, which is powerful as all fuck but subtle in its own right (for the opioid tolerant) and lacks that rush we all know from fast acting opioids. especially for daily methadone dosers, I would imagine GP to be absolutely amazing.

how much GP are you taking ? I would imagine GP to be absolutely amazing.
300 3 times/day. Yes, it is incredible, but for me the desirable effect is the perfect pain relief. There is kind of a stimulating buzz, not enough to fix a shit day, but great for an add-on to an already happy day :) I was glad the buzz doesn't remind me of benzos at all, which I historically have learned to avoid like the plague. ----WOW, 2 to 4 grams? I hear people really love these giant doses but I can't even imagine taking 7 or more at once,lol. Maybe I try one day, but I doubt it cuz I like my low tolerance.

300 3 times/day. Yes, it is incredible, but for me the desirable effect is the perfect pain relief. There is kind of a stimulating buzz, not enough to fix a shit day, but great for an add-on to an already happy day :) I was glad the buzz doesn't remind me of benzos at all, which I historically have learned to avoid like the plague. ----WOW, 2 to 4 grams? I hear people really love these giant doses but I can't even imagine taking 7 or more at once,lol. Maybe I try one day, but I doubt it cuz I like my low tolerance.

yeah I would suspect the methadone is synergizing quite nicely if youre feeling that great off just 300 each dose, especially if you're noting the mood lift and stimulating buzz. I'm glad its helping your pain out my friend. and well technically you shouldn't take 7 at once lol, so youre right. gabapentin has notoriously weird absorption issues, so the most effective way is to stagger doses into hour intervals, so when I would take 2 grams it would be me taking 300mg every hour with a high lipid or fat snack until I reached my desired dose. taking 10 capsules at once would be a complete waste and probably only 2 of them would even absorb. 300 is about the most to take at once, some people even go to 150 . interesting chemical for sure. I'm having withdrawals from it as we speak lol

I'm having withdrawals from it as we speak lol
And this is the other side of this chemical. So rumor has it that it's a terrible WD for many, and non-existent for others. What do you think?

And this is the other side of this chemical. So rumor has it that it's a terrible WD for many, and non-existent for others. What do you think?

yeah you pretty much nailed it.

I'd say more often than not people don't have bad reactions from it. but a large enough part of the population for it to be worth mentioning will have pretty adverse reactions to it either immediately or soon after taking it (like suicidal thoughts, depression, headaches etc) or more likely upon cessation. some people say w/d lasts 72 hours, some people say weeks or months. I've heard "its terrible but nothing like opiate and Benzo withdrawal" and "Way worse than benzos and opiates put together" an equal amount of times. for me it has been physically a little less severe than opiate withdrawal (but I've withdrawn from methadone cold turkey 32 mg lol so my withdrawal was intense ) and somewhat similar to Benzo withdrawal but with its own whole shitstorm of anxiety issues.

its fair to say as long as you dont take it for long periods of time without breaks in between or in huge double digit gram doses than it shouldn't be a problem. although I've read on other forums of stories of people just taking a prescribed doses for only a few weeks and having pretty bad reactions. I remember I talked to my pharmacist once about it and he said his mother had an incredibly hard time getting off it lol. I actually remember reading about a member of this forum, don't recall his username, who took it for just a few weeks, stopped because he was having bad reactions to it, and supposedly,AFAK, still hasn't recovered from it years later.

obviously, with every chemical theres going to be these rare stories, but the withdrawal syndrome atleast is common enough for it to be known, doctors seem completely oblivious to a fault. if you come to them with "gabapentin withdrawals" they won't take you serious at all haha.

"its terrible but nothing like opiate and Benzo withdrawal" and "Way worse than benzos and opiates put together" an equal amount of times.
I will say that if u browse the FB pages for various adverse reaction to drugs topics like GP or seroquel, u will prob notice that a small number of seemingly drama queens speak with such a loud voice that one can get a skewed negative picture of the drug, especially because of course, no one posts about great experiences with these type of drugs,lol.
I have zero side effects other than bad memory so far. If I get fat I'm gonna be pissed ;) Cuz there is almost no way I would stop taking this shit :)

Deep Thoughts by Hack Jandly

I will say that if u browse the FB pages for various adverse reaction to drugs topics like GP or seroquel, u will prob notice that a small number of seemingly drama queens speak with such a loud voice that one can get a skewed negative picture of the drug.....If I get fat I'm gonna be pissed ;) Cuz there is almost no way I would stop taking this shit :)

I will say that if u browse the FB pages for various adverse reaction to drugs topics like GP or seroquel, u will prob notice that a small number of seemingly drama queens speak with such a loud voice that one can get a skewed negative picture of the drug.....
I have zero side effects other than bad memory so far. If I get fat I'm gonna be pissed ;) Cuz there is almost no way I would stop taking this shit :)

Hello fellow BL'erz,

I read all your posts about Gabapentin (GP) today, and would like to add a few things that may or may not help out.
First off, I'd like to reiterate CfZrx's point about how often times a "drama queen" speaks with such a LOUD voice that one can get a skewed negative picture of the drug... This was true with GP, in respects to withdrawal (WD) for me. I had done some "research" on GP WD and had come across some pretty unnerving stuff! People having horrid, months sometimes years long WD's from taking GP, sometimes just therapeutic doses causing this!! Well, you could say I was a bit worried...being that I am Rx'd: 5 x 800mg / day! I take a half of a pill at a time, therefore maximizing my absorption. I read about all kinds of horrible withdrawals, and I had psych'd myself up for a bout of wretched WD's - so much so, that I may have fostered and possibly even induced such withdrawals... Remember, your mind is a very powerful drug itself...
I believe this to be so, because I just recently got really bad heat stroke and was throwing up for the better part of a week, and couldn't stomach my GP along with my Methadone, so I just ended up not taking it for about 3 or 4 days... Other than my hands being a fairly shaky by day three, I had no serious side effects that I could notice. I seized this opportunity, and am now trying to keep at just about 1 and a half pills (1200mg) each day...for as long as I can manage to keep it up.
The reasons for this are financial and to keep my weight down, as they will adversely effect your belt line... :(

Hello fellow BL'erz,

I read all your posts about Gabapentin (GP) today, and would like to add a few things that may or may not help out.
First off, I'd like to reiterate CfZrx's point about how often times a "drama queen" speaks with such a LOUD voice that one can get a skewed negative picture of the drug... This was true with GP, in respects to withdrawal (WD) for me. I had done some "research" on GP WD and had come across some pretty unnerving stuff! People having horrid, months sometimes years long WD's from taking GP, sometimes just therapeutic doses causing this!! Well, you could say I was a bit worried...being that I am Rx'd: 5 x 800mg / day! I take a half of a pill at a time, therefore maximizing my absorption. I read about all kinds of horrible withdrawals, and I had psych'd myself up for a bout of wretched WD's - so much so, that I may have fostered and possibly even induced such withdrawals... Remember, your mind is a very powerful drug itself...
I believe this to be so, because I just recently got really bad heat stroke and was throwing up for the better part of a week, and couldn't stomach my GP along with my Methadone, so I just ended up not taking it for about 3 or 4 days... Other than my hands being a fairly shaky by day three, I had no serious side effects that I could notice. I seized this opportunity, and am now trying to keep at just about 1 and a half pills (1200mg) each day...for as long as I can manage to keep it up.
The reasons for this are financial and to keep my weight down, as they will adversely effect your belt line... :(

Yes I fully agree, though I believe there are certain people who just have a much worse reaction to this drug than the majority, I think a lot of it is hype too. psychosomatics of the brain are quite insane. expecting and fearfully waiting for a withdrawal is anything but productive and a sure way you trap yourself. with that being said though there definitely is a withdrawal symptom here with this chemical that should be mentioned. it noticed me before I noticed it if you catch my drift. I realized I had it the hard way, by stopping and being awoken in panic and sweat the next day. but it sure made it worse when I went online to see some of those said horror stories haha.

they will adversely effect your belt line... :(
NOOOOOO! I am nervous that I may be gaining fat around my middle! I'm still thin, having dropped from 185 to 148. Last time I was weighed at the docs I was 150, which was about a month ago. Maybe I should buy a scale? You seem to think that dosing at 1200 would lessen this effect? Maybe I should try for 300 X2 daily. It would be worth it if it meant 20 lbs! Anyhoo, I'll keep you updated as to my size ;) Ok, gonna jog to the store then cook some baked kale and baked broccoli for tomorrow. Quinoa and lentils for dinner too. So you see, I may be able to lessen the fattening with extreme diet. Somehow this time I wonder.

I realized after much pooping finally that I am also extra constipated on GP. Does anyone know why this med causes the weight gain? You hear a lot about "water weight" or "retention" or even "edema",but it does give u the munchies, so that could be a part of it. I'm gonna up my morning dose of psyllium husk to a fat 1/2 tsp, seems most of my weight gain is poo. Ans some fat for sure.

Anybody else out there completely anesthetized from gabapentin + _(opioid)_?

On a couple of occasions, I fel8t like I was experiencing a m8ild roll with Gabapentin. As for pain medicat8ion, I can't vouch for th8at.